Anderson in rear cabin of L

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Smokey

Anderson in rear cabin of L

Post by Smokey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Need some advice from a sparky re how I should wire an anderson socket in the rear of the cabin in the L series.

Uses:
1)Power a removable sub.
2)Charge Battery box on odd occasions
3)Power Fridge (via anderson jumper to hella/cig/engel socket).
4)Power the kids DVD screens and electrical devices while driving (via above said jumper)

See badly drawn diagram of my current cable setup under the hood.
Its using a 4ga (21mm2?) cable and terminates at a blade fuse box for accessoies. Currently only my fans are connected. No spotties or CB yet.

So my actual Q is:
a) should I run a dedicated cable to the battery (pos and neg)
b) or can I junction off the existing 4ga cable at the closest point.
And what are the pro's and cons of each option?

I understand the advantages of proper VSR's etc, but no intention for this at this point. Plain and simple but done safely and correctly is what Im aiming for. VSR will be added when funds allow.

Gone Fishing

Post by Gone Fishing » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Mate I am no sparky but in my experience you should run dedicated cable to the anderson plug. By doing it this way you will get no voltage drop due to other devices running off it. When I wired up my two engel fridges in my old landcruiser I ran dedicated 6mm cable from the battery to each outlet.

stork955

Post by stork955 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:33 am

G'day, dedicated hot and Earth probably the best way. You wont get a high current ground from the chassis as it is connected to the engine only (for the starter). You have fusing so that is OK, make sure the cable run is protected is probably most important, not around sharp panels, brackets etc without some extra protection.

Cheers,

Stork

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I was busy prepping for the trip and never came back to finish this thread.

Quick update, not enough pics, as usual I didnt take any of the wire runs front to back etc.

What I ended up with is two separate and dedicated runs of both pos and neg, one for the anderson and one for the cig socket. Both are live 24/7, no protection from draining battery, cig has a illuminated cabin switch. That might change if I ever do any proper touring but its good enough for now. Can't remember exact wire sizes (Anderson 8ga, cig was rated at 25A both Jaycar) but they are suitable for what I need/anyone would reasonably use.
Anderson is fused at 40A, cig at 15A, both close to the battery.

Main uses are cig to charge all the small gear and kids TV/DS/Tabs etc.
Anderson, engel and perhaps a portable/removable active sub enclosure. While I had the trim apart I ran the speaker cables. The terminate in the LH little cabinet that's standard in the L's. So rear of the car is wired now for the sub install. Just need some right hand RCA adapters and a headunit that supports a sub!

Lastly in the same little cabinet resides a 60cm(ish?) anderson to anderson extension cable. It connected my battery box (used to power engel) during my last trip.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”