instrument cluster

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Dean.nabbe

instrument cluster

Post by Dean.nabbe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:16 am

hi guys..
in my Brumby i have a speedo and an analog clock..
is there a compatible instrument cluster that will fit in that has a tacho?
what do i have to do to attach the tacho to the engine?

is there a full digital instrument cluster that will fit?

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:25 am

Hi Dean,

There are couple of options, but most will require the removal of your existing dash ... :(

Do a search on here for them ( there are a few conversion threads with all the details on how to fix the tacho ) The most sought after ones are the Analogue dashes from EA 82/3 Touring wagons & Coupes which are a relatively easy swap over ... :)

There was a full Digital version from the later 84/5 Leone versions, but by all reports say they are not worth the trouble.

Or you could go more modern, but that requires another whole level of modifications ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:32 am

Physically fit - seen an Impreza cluster in and working within a std gen2 Brumby dash skin but they won't just plug and play. The Impreza is not speedo cable drive is it? Need to plug in the transponder on the box etc, etc
member since 10january2014 #6191

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:12 pm

if i take a cluster(plugs and all) roughly the same shape that fits.. is it hard to wire it up so it works?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 am

My suggestion is this - easiest option with a bit of work:

Toonga's MY DL dash

Or you can go to this effort:

^ Now with carpet!

The above pics are an awesome setup but finding that wider dash board without cracks is next to impossible these days, then you need to find the analogue instrument cluster if the vehicle you get the dash board from has a digi dash...

The other way to go is to get a 52mm tacho and mount it on the steering column - I can't find a pic of this setup, but Subaruby used to have it on his MY wagon - I'm looking at doing the same with Redback (my brumby).

As for wiring in the aftermarket tacho, I think it's 4 wires - pos, neg, then two wires to each side of the coil. There should be instructions/labelled wiring in the aftermarket tacho packaging ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 am

whats the usual RPM range of the EA-81?

idle - cruise - max?

i searched the net and seen a post on another forum that said cruise was 4000 - 4500 and max was 5200.. but that doesn't seem right to me..

anyone with a tacho on an EA-81 that can tell me?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Idle: ~700rpm
Cruise: ~3250rpm

The above are for a 3.7:1 final drive ratio.

Max - well, it depends on how hard you're willing to go or where the engine stops revving any harder...

Seriously though you'll want to use the torque of the engine rather than the power as high revving will ultimately end up killing any engine unless it's purposely built/maintained for it!

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Your tacho feed is the nev=gative side of the coil.

Yes ElFreddo is right about revving killing engines... I know as I've killed to EJ motors like that. However they were underpowered for the size of the vehicle.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:30 pm

I think I found valve bounce at about 4800 and was not real impressed, but this may have been on pretty strung out valve springs. Most of these old boxers not really meant to rev - exceptions obviously been out there such as the EA81S and Mister Fisters little miracle.
If you have a four speed, those shift change dots on the speedo are a good a guide as any. A nice combo with the EA81 would be with turbo, more torque down lower where it is desperately needed :rolleyes:

I copied someone in here and did the analogue clock delete and fitted in an oil gauge.Others have done tacho or boost gauge in 52mm??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:04 pm

taza wrote:Yes ElFreddo is right about revving killing engines... I know as I've killed to EJ motors like that. However they were underpowered for the size of the vehicle as a P plater with a double lead weight foot.
Edited for true accuracy! There are MANY EJ20 foresters getting around just fine - it's the driver, not the engine ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:32 pm

i pulled the cluster out (to have a look) i decided to buy a 2" tacho to mount to the pillar...
although i think i cleaned 25 yrs worth of dust and dirt out of the workings of the cluster.. lol

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:39 pm

i pulled the cluster out (to have a look) i decided to buy a 2" tacho to mount to the pillar...
although i think i cleaned 25 yrs worth of dust and dirt out of the workings of the cluster.. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1987 Brumby.
still to come:
2"exhaust
winch bar

zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 pm

El_Freddy, what is that centre console from? In between the seatbelts and on the hand brake?
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:02 pm

zookcruzr wrote:El_Freddy, what is that centre console from? In between the seatbelts and on the hand brake?
that is the console out of a Touring wagon . It has the 4 electric window controls at the front and a arm rest lid for the console bin.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 pm

henpecked wrote:that is the console out of a Touring wagon . It has the 4 electric window controls at the front and a arm rest lid for the console bin.
^ That's it!

The arm rest lid is awesome when cruising ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Has anyone got an analogue full Touring wagon dash out of an MY 4WD manual ?
Mine started out as an auto so it only has the one 4WD light. I would like to see what the sports dash looks like from a manual.
Does it have a high and low 4WD lights or something different. ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Back on original theme, someone looking for a tacho for a Brumby. I'm playing with something a bit different. I have a post in here somewhere of an oil pressure gauge in the place of the clock. A tacho would fit nicely from the 52mm range. A digital more so ue to space limits and their compactness.

I am part way through financing a SAAS 52 mm black face oil pressure gauge coz the white face one in my post looked so off and would be white lit. The correct SAAS blackface has switchable LED backlight colour selection with a switch at the back. Get similar by SAAS from SCA with switch at the front - hard to access through clear lens of cluster :(

One problem of both front or rear button for change is when power is killed to car battery gauge reverts to default colour, and betting my left nut default colour is not red.

Another thing encountered by Mr Fusspot was the plastic lens of the new SAAS gauge reflects shiny like all bloody, so took to it with the dremels first outing since bought six months ago, cut a large circle in the plastic 'glass', then off to the sides to break through the remaining donut. Careful delicate piece of surgery, then hit the slightly gunmetal ring with flatte blacke. Gauge no need its clear glass due to being protected by the whole cluster clear bit.

Red background lighting is closest match to the sexy orange of the GEN2 Brumbies.
The speco gauge was an easier fit, than the SAAS which requires a bit more PCB hole making to fit the rear fit plug, actually cut out some copper tracking, so it is simply being bridged.

OP was looking for a tacho option - I am going LED fuel gauge elsewhere say in side pocket as it is not something needs too much constant watching, and going TM2 watchdog concept of metal temp with alarm, so another gauge not needing constant eyes on. This will leave me with another 53mm hole - perfect for a non SCA SAAS black face tacho and about 5000rpm room for improvement :) Nice thing about tacho only reading on its left side in EA series is steering wheel won't block the view of tacho on RHS fuel gauge hole

Then here I found Mr TOONGAs pic of his , oh, sorry, :oops: also white faced tacho in the clock hole
showthread.php?t=24113&highlight=tacho+clock+Brumby

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:46 pm

I've been looking into something like this unit to fit to the steering column, much like what Subaruby used to have in his MY wagon (I don't can't find any pics of this setup):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301248208208 ... 1423.l2661

I have no idea how to copy images from ebay to show here, so a link will have to do (will become a broken link over time :()

Cheers

Bennie

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:58 pm

the image will last longer than the auction

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Wouldn't buy that tacho for an 80's Subaru - way too big !!

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”