Pls Critique Cooling Fan Wiring Diagram

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Smokey

Pls Critique Cooling Fan Wiring Diagram

Post by Smokey » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:19 pm

Hello fellow Soobi fans. Been too long since I've had time to play with my car let alone do some posts :(

I'm putting in manual controlled thermo fans, twin relays and an 1/off/2 dash switch, no auto.

How does the below diagram look? LED was an afterthought. At first I though an illuminated switch but there are not many out there small enough to fit in the cluster above the headlight (S1) switch on the L (same place inside air etc is located).

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:45 pm

critical Jonno, sharing what I found to be easier than inline fuses - Jayacr at least sell relays with a fuse socket in the front so incoming power through pin 30 goes via the fuse. Easy to find and check if and when need arises

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:24 pm

Looks fine, but why no auto control?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:59 pm

steptoe wrote:...relays with a fuse socket in the front so incoming power through pin 30 goes via the fuse...
Thx for the heads up Jono, see this thread for a rough diagram of my drivers side fuse panel (inc fuses), relays will sit just a few cm away. Needless I do have one of these fused relays that I do a bit of testing with.
Gannon wrote:Looks fine, but why no auto control?
To be honest Gannon, I probably should. I lacked an understanding of wiring in the early year and a few years with a bad radiator have lead to me like watching engine temp. I have an aftermarket temp gauge that shows actual incremental temperature so I can control fans in real time.

The only reason I'd now add an auto setting is for when someone else drives my car. Peace of minds sake. Not sure how I can wire that into my current setup.

Few new pics of where its up to. Essentially a labelled pigtail ready to be installed.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 pm

think it is smart having both fans whoop it up at same time - no mucking around, BUT I also find it handy in some situations just to have one fan on (and forget its on :( )

I reckon next Brumby will get the fans, or maybe one, come on in conjunction with the brake lights - you know, sitting in traffic, foot is on brake a lot anyway - allows for mind to be in neutral and engine keep cool.

Neville fitted a TFS132 to his rad and fans come on at 85 off at 80. I fitted same part number, fans come on at 92 and off at 72 despite what tridon claim !!

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Discrete switch dash mounted. Led lights when either 1 or two fans powered.

LED is BRIGHT at night, some dull red paint might do the trick. Would not be so
bad were it mounted at a lower "out of face" location.

Relays, one per fan, separately fused from existing dist block. Just noticed I have
the 25A fuses still, need to drop that back to 15 each.

Thread complete.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 am

Colin, that fuse panel , is it a single input for all the blade fuses ? If so, it is a better alternative to the one I installed, and curious to klnow where you got it , brand, part number etc, save me making up my loops :) on the next project.
Those LEDs are more spot than flood hey ? 8) The reminder light is a good idea, may have to include these somewhere too, and despite my recent dramas from wire fiddling, still think I am going to use brake light switch to activate a fan - using a diode of course :)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Rough the outer surface of the LED with sandpaper, makes it like a frosted/opaque bulb and gives a scattered light output
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:49 pm

steptoe wrote:...is it a single input for all the blade fuses
Yep works quite well, I like things neat as I can to my ability. Ebay, search fuse block. This one is a Blade terminal, ring terminal under screws would have been better. This one is a 6 way. Some also have a ground bar, but I find that unnecessary in a chassis grounded vehicle. Think it was $24 ish.

I'm also really keen on these heat shrink connectors (though a little pricey).

(insert multi quote)...woops

Jaycar LED in Bezel so cant buff the surface unfortunately, though good thinking Gannon.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:04 pm

nice, thanks for the links

fuse size same as what is in L Series fuse blocks or next size down ?

I just use heatshrink 6.00mm over my connectors - black and red most commonly used, and never just plier crimp - either solder or utilux tool # 61 them. I am always pulling the plastic ferrule insulators off and dropping them about the place :)

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Yep standard blade fuses, same as under dash in the L series

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:44 pm

LED in Bezel so cant buff the surface unfortunately, though good thinking Gannon.
Those chromed LED bezels can be seperated easily, I used pull them apart to use my own preferred waterclear LED's as well as diffusing there output as per Gannon's suggestion. As for mentioning J@#$%r, I used to work at one so I wont make any specific endorsements.

J.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”