Ebay LED reverse light globe replacement

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Corax

Ebay LED reverse light globe replacement

Post by Corax » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi Y'all,

As the title states I want to replace the old globes in my reverse lights on my brumby and I was wondering if anybody else had bought some off fleabay that they were impressed with?

Cheers,
Dave.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 pm

Nope, the Ebay LED's are mostly garbage. They work but not for very long. Something to to with the old cars voltage being too much or not quite right for low powered LED's. I tried indicators and brake light bulbs and they also caused other funny problems like indicators not blinking and brake warning light constantly coming up.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:14 am

The problem is that ebay LEDs are designed for 12v, problem is that the cars voltage while running is closer to 14v, this extra 2v causes the leds to draw too much forward current and overheats them reducing their life.

I got around this in the leds I used for my parker lights by soldering 2 diodes in series to reduce the foward voltage by roughly 1.2v
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”