Sport dash hi/low lense mod

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Proton mouse

Sport dash hi/low lense mod

Post by Proton mouse » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm

The sports dash, or 6 gauge cluster, is a now hard to find but is still a desired upgrade for many Brumby (or wagon) owners.
The problem is, its hard finding a sports cluster at all, as they are so old now (82-84 sedans, coupes and touring wagons), and even more difficult to find one which has the hi/low range dash lights factory fitted, as these only came out on the said wagons.
The bulb sockets and tracks on the back of the circuit board are there on the non 4wd dash's, but the lense on the front is blacked over instead of having stencilled, see through writing.
So, when I came across a mint dash pad and sports cluster I simply couldn't say no, even though it was out of an '83 non 4wd sedan.
I was then faced with 3 options...
1)No hi/low range lights at all......not good
2)Rig up some under dash lights.....would suffice but overly messy
3)Attempt a risky, open dash, hi/low lense transplant, from a suitable donor :-)
This is the pictographic story of option 3.

After undoing the many screws (one hidden in the end of the odo push stalk) and removing various lenses and covers, you are left with the 5 light tunnels which should all have coloured lenses atop. However in a non 4wd dash the bottom 2 will be lense-less.

Next on the agenda was to find, cut out and file some suitable coloured plastic for the lenses. An old dash was where I found some blue and green plastic of suitable thickness. I also cut out the stencilled "4wd" and "lo" from and old Brumby/wagon dash.

With a bit of modelling glue I stuck the stencils to the lenses. The lense cover on the left, is blackened with paint and will need some of this paint rubbed off for the light to shine through to the newly made lenses (2nd pic below)
Don't rub away too much (as I did) as the light will shine out and around the cut out stencils, luckily it was easy fixed with some black paint. But don't put too much paint back on (as I did) as you will cover up the light path needed to shine through the writings :rolleyes:

Sitting in their new homes...

And the finished product using torch light from the back....

If you don't want to just use torch light shining through from the back (not advisable while driving, lol) you will need to fit a dash bulb to the socket (easy bit) and also add the 2 signal wires that run from switches in the gearbox and on the hi/lo lever (hard bit)
Remember, if you are changing the cluster, the wiring harness at the back of it is needed to run it, so these wires wont be there.
These dashes also have a low fuel warning light not found on Brumby's, so don't forget to get the tank sender (has room for 2 wires instead of 1) from the donor car.
I also found on my Brumby I had to run a wire from the rear loom multi connector (next to the hood release) back through to the cavity just behind the drivers seat belt (accessed via the 1st tray access panel behind the driver) For some reason there is already an inbuilt wire from the tank, but it stops at that point behind the driver.
Another point to note is, the sedan donor car I sourced my dash and wiring from, was a quad headlight version, however, the lights must have been a lower wattage, as the loom only has 1 relay and feeds through 2x 10 amp fuses, instead of 2 relays and 2x 15 amp fuses on the Brumby, so adding another relay and changing the fuses may be necessary depending on your cars layout. Interestingly, my 84 wagon had twin relays but was a single headlight version, so there are many variances out there.
Hope all this helps someone!!

Cheers, John

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Nice work!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Nice one! :) Nice to know it is possible, I'm getting so desperate for one of these clusters now I might just throw it all to the wind and get one from any model car I can, 2WD or 4WD and just mod it to work.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:28 pm

I made a mess in my pants!

I'm part way through wiring up a late model leone 2wd cluster in my brum. Atleast then I'll have a fairly factory looking tacho.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Very nice - I will have to get one of them for my Brumby some day ... :sigh:

Ciao, Bantum ...

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 am

great write-up - well done.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:15 pm

Interesting - I thought the 4wd lights were on the little car diagram to the left of the cluster like it is on the stock brumby. Bit disappointing but at least I now know what to look for when doing this wiring.

I think my unit came from a coupe from memory - will have to run extra wires.

Also good to know about the wiring for the touring wagon low fuel warning light - I've seen the second wire out back but didn't realise it stopped at the cab!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Silverbullet, I think there's a mint 4wd touring wagon at a wreckers near me if you can stand the cost of freight from Vic...Ringwood PAP.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:19 pm

dfoyl wrote:Silverbullet, I think there's a mint 4wd touring wagon at a wreckers near me if you can stand the cost of freight from Vic...Ringwood PAP.
Alright, I'm on it! I'll give them a call tomorrow
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:59 pm

I think this is it , same street address as PNP

http://www.jollysupullit.com.au/ezipart ... 2/82-11/84

It is a nice looking touring wagon, only the second white one I've ever sean.

But only digi dash from photos

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks for the kind words people!

SB...Doo eeett!! Get a 2wd cluster and harness and do the mod as I've done or at least just run the 2 extra wires to a couple of lights under/below dash. That way you'll have it all in place (correct dashpad etc) and ready to go if you ever find the exact touring wagon/4wd cluster version you want.

Taza.....Are you using an L series Leone cluster? I'd like to see that!!
I think you need to start a thread with some pics!! Or post em here, I don't mind :-)

El_Freddo.....Below is the stencil for over the top of the little car diagram, but alas, no 4wd signage :-(

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:06 pm

^ thanks mate, I was looking at Redback's stock instrument cluster when in 4wd and 4wd low when I realised that its not the same as the L series setup, I just assumed it followed on from the MYs.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”