MY fuel gauge adjustment - possible?

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

MY fuel gauge adjustment - possible?

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:03 pm

G'day all,

I'm hoping someone has the know how on this one.

Redback's (1986 brumby, stock instrument cluster) fuel gauge does not go to full when the tank is full, and when it's on half I'd be lucky to fit 20L in the tank - meaning that the gauge is out of whack.

I'd like to fix this so that it's showing where it should be. The not being full when it's actually full frustrates me, especially after shelling out all that coin for a full tank!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:23 am

Not sure I have a solution Bennie, but will offer my experience.

Some years ago with my L series, I filled her up one day as I do with 3 clicks of the pump, I know the label on the filler door says:

Caution
When filling the fuel to the tank, do not add more fuel after the fuel filler gun has automatically stopped

From that point onwards the gauge would show empty just below the bottom line. As the fuel was used it would go up until near empty it would indicate full. I did this repeatedly for a few weeks and even did half fills which I dont normally do. Same result. I removed the sender and examined, cleaned the 3 pole connector and refitted. Same prob.

I had a spare fuel tank with sender so I swapped out sender units, and no improvement. That spare tank was from an EFI wagon and admittedly had been tossed about a bit.

So I ended up getting a new unit through Frog who happened to have one in stock kicking around at Doms Motors for 88 clams. Replaced and all was good.

Perhaps if you can "borrow" a sender unit from another MY and see if same result.

Point of interest: At least with L series. The povo pack DL carby wagon had the same 3 wire fuel sender as did the spare 89 EFI unit and the new unit Frog sent me that was part#ed for an MY88 wagon. Mine being a 92. So an extra wire in the harness and possibly the instr cluster is the difference with having the little amber low fuel light.

J.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:52 am

If it's the stock 1 wire one (non tacho dash) You can sort of "fix" it, but you need to either drain the tank completely first or nearly empty and park it on a hill to remove the sender unit from the rear of the fuel tank. Un-plug the connector and undo the 6(?) small nuts, pull the sender out and take it to a bench. Depending on how old your sender is you might be able to see the wiper arm on the coil un-protected or the "newer" models it will be enclosed in a metal housing. You can easily pry apart the tiny metal clips, take the cover off and you'll see the wiper arm and coil. Chances are the wiper and/or coil is worn and if you look at it as the float goes up and down the wiper arm loses contact with the coil and so gives bad readings to the gauge. You can bend the arm back so it is in constant contact with the coil all the way up and down, put it all back together and re-install....should fix the problem...

OR you could just buy this :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Suba ... 1a01e61e53

I've had 2 of these from this guy, one in the wagon and one in the Brumby and they work flawlessly.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:05 am

If it's the stock 1 wire one (non tacho dash) You can sort of "fix" it, but you need to either drain the tank completely first or nearly empty and park it on a hill to remove the sender unit from the rear of the fuel tank. Un-plug the connector and undo the 6(?) small nuts, pull the sender out and take it to a bench. Depending on how old your sender is you might be able to see the wiper arm on the coil un-protected or the "newer" models it will be enclosed in a metal housing. You can easily pry apart the tiny metal clips, take the cover off and you'll see the wiper arm and coil. Chances are the wiper and/or coil is worn and if you look at it as the float goes up and down the wiper arm loses contact with the coil and so gives bad readings to the gauge. You can bend the arm back so it is in constant contact with the coil all the way up and down, put it all back together and re-install....should fix the problem...

OR you could just buy this :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Suba ... 1a01e61e53

I've had 2 of these from this guy, one in the wagon and one in the Brumby and they work flawlessly.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:09 am

Thats some fine info there SB.

I agree with your option #2, And have had good dealings with that particular vendor.
Also FROG is a great vendor and very excellent with experience on parts ;)
Cough cough plug...

J.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:09 am

Cheers fellas.

Looks like I'll pull the sender unit and see what's going on.

Fuji, I've got the L touring wagon instrument cluster, wiring loom and EFI tank/sender and there's no low fuel light :( I thought there would be one but it's never lit up. I'm 99% sure it was an '89 model that the loom etc came from...

Anyway, I'll play with the sender and let you know what happens ;)

Regards

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:10 am

Bennie before you pull the gauge from the tank add an earth lead to one of the 5 sender bolts. I changed my brumby sender because I thought it was faulty. the one I pulled at the wreckers and put in had a user added earth lead which I didn't put in at first. The gauge did the same thing until I remembered the earth lead. once earthed it the problem disappeared.

As well if you can't get a new gasket a small amount of soap

stolen from (grotty images be warned :) )

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationP ... l#39333980

(a bit in the shower recess that's nice and soft) smeared on both sides of the rubber will help seal the old gasket.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Toonga, I tried your suggestion as it was the easiest.

I put a wire between one of the mounting bolts on the fuel tank to chassis and one of the mounts on the sender unit.

I've got just under half a tank of fuel by the gauge, and after adding the earth wire it's the same. I'll report back once I've filled up, but I don't think anything will have changed.

Cheers

Bennie

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:52 am

silverbullet wrote:if it's the stock 1 wire one (non tacho dash) you can sort of "fix" it, but you need to either drain the tank completely first or nearly empty and park it on a hill to remove the sender unit from the rear of the fuel tank. Un-plug the connector and undo the 6(?) small nuts, pull the sender out and take it to a bench. Depending on how old your sender is you might be able to see the wiper arm on the coil un-protected or the "newer" models it will be enclosed in a metal housing. You can easily pry apart the tiny metal clips, take the cover off and you'll see the wiper arm and coil. Chances are the wiper and/or coil is worn and if you look at it as the float goes up and down the wiper arm loses contact with the coil and so gives bad readings to the gauge. You can bend the arm back so it is in constant contact with the coil all the way up and down, put it all back together and re-install....should fix the problem...

Or you could just buy this :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/genuine-suba ... 1a01e61e53

i've had 2 of these from this guy, one in the wagon and one in the brumby and they work flawlessly.
fujifan wrote:thats some fine info there sb.

I agree with your option #2, and have had good dealings with that particular vendor.
Also frog is a great vendor and very excellent with experience on parts ;)
cough cough plug...

J.

785111080 $51.91 plus post
four left !!
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:00 pm

hey Andy do you have senders for a gen1 lib 4wd wagon?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:44 pm

vincentvega wrote:hey Andy do you have senders for a gen1 lib 4wd wagon?
will need a vin
the couple of numbers Ive tried they have stock still
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Might be wrong, but I seem to remember you can easily just move where the needle points when the cluster is apart...?
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”