89 Brumby dash lighting issue

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
CrAzYLiFe

89 Brumby dash lighting issue

Post by CrAzYLiFe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 am

I've recently been restoring my brumby and swamped the dash out. Every thing has been working well how ever the other day I played with the dash light dimer on my light switch and ran into issues.

Turning my lights on would cause both interior indicator lights to come on and flash so quick it was basicly solid.

Would also do it but very dull light if I turned the dimmer right down with lights off.

Coupled with a clicking noise when this was going on.

I let it do it for 1min after showing a mate the issue and it stoped. Hasn't come back yet but the dimmer wouldnt work (has since started working again)

I'm not to familiar with the wiring and a mate changed out the dash for me so I would like some help on where to start trouble shooting this!

My mate says that the whole light switch is dead (contact issue) but im thinking something is shorting or not earthed right when we swapped the dash out

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:25 am

Did you solve this problem mate?
I reckon you might be right with the assumption of a bad earth. You can get all sorts of weird stuff going on (like the examples you've given) when the earth wiring is not connected right.
There is a thick black wire with a round connector (for screw) on it, which hangs down from the instrument panel loom, above and to the left of the fuse panel.
It would be a good start to see if that is connected to the cars body metal somewhere!!
Good luck
John

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”