Engine static on new sound system

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
wally

Engine static on new sound system

Post by wally » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:51 am

I've just replaced a crappy old radio-cassette with a new el-cheapo one. I now hear engine static through the speakers so I assume I need a suppressor somewhere in the circuit. Do I put one on the power line to the unit, or in the engine bay (positive terminal of the coil) or where? And does it go in series or parallel?
Hope someone can help and thanks in advance.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:35 am

cheaper stereos are really prone to noise

you could try a couple of those small supressors on the alternator, coil and one on the actual stereo

there is also bigger ones that you can chuck inline with the power wire, but i havent had much luck with them

but 9 times out of 10 the problem is the last thing you changed eg you had no noise before and now you do so it could just be the new head unit

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:45 pm

It's true crappy stereos are more common to interfearance.

Is the static like a cliping or ticking noise? or is it more of a whine with engine speed.

Clipping would be a sign of either the leads and the coil or something.... whinning would be alternator... filters rarely fix these problems. Buy a name brand deck and u should find it all goes good.

Dave

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:24 pm

Try switching to resistor type spark plugs too, eg NGK BPR6ES.

I've just swapped from BP6ES to BPR6EIX (iridiums with resistor) and my stereo doesn't crackle any more. Mind you the problem was minor to begin with.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”