Need 93 EJ20T Ignition diragram

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
PeeJay

Need 93 EJ20T Ignition diragram

Post by PeeJay » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm in need of a wiring diagram for the coil packs on a 93 EJ20T. I can only find one for an NA engine with the single coil.

If you know where I can find one or could scan it for me it would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:40 pm

What is the problem you have? The ignition system is very simple, there is very little chance that the ignitor or coils are at fault and it is simple to diagnose them if they are.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm not getting any spark. I checked that there is 12V going to the coils and there is, but I don't know what to check on the ignitor. I'm using a cut down loom so I suspected I must have missed something.

I noticed the fuel pump turns on while cranking and I checked the injectors on an oscilliscope, there is a small pulse there, but then it started to rain.

I'm sure I've missed something simple :?

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:45 pm

The ECU sends a 5v reference signal to the ecu(5pin plug on ignitor) which triggers the appropriate coil to ground(4 pin Plug on ignitor). Check for the 5V reference with an LED test light or scope first and then check for the trigger signal to the coils. No spark is most likely the fault of no reference signal from the ecu caused by a bad input signal(Crank and Cam sensors) OR by the earth from the ignition module being faulty(Black wire on 5 pin ignitor plug).

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:50 pm

Ok, I'm getting output from the ECU, but I noticed that when I manualy short the coil packs to ground there is no spark (but current is being drawn). I've taken off two of the coils and tried connecting them directly to the battery, Still dosen't work.

I'm assuming I need some more coil packs?

gradg

Post by gradg » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Link from rsliberty club...

http://www.driftquebec.com/legacy/

PDF version of service manual up there

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Do you understand how an ignition coil works? Not trying to be a smartass but you do need to know basics before you try and solve problems.

Check that you are getting an earthing signal at the 4 pin ignitor plug. i.e. hook a test light up to the positive battery terminal and probe the 4 pin ignitor plug while cranking, the test light should flash on and off.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:33 am

My bad, I didn't explain myself very well.

What I did was check the output from the ECU to the ignitor with the scope, it was good. I didn't have a test light at the time so I thought I'd just try grounding the wires on the 4 pin plug to simulate the ignitor working. When I did that I still got no spark. To eliminate any wiring trouble I then pulsed one of the coils directly from the battery. Still nothing. This was both with and without a spark plug on the coil, grounding the threadded bit on the plug.

I have since created a test light and I can confirm the ignitor is working as it should.

I have checked the cam and crank sensors and they are both working.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:31 pm

Oh, and if it is the coils that are defective what brand/model do I replace them with?

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:19 pm

Ah OK. Is the earthing signal present at the manifold connectors for the coils?
It's unlikely that you would have 4 coils failing but if they have and you want to upgrade I use Bosch BIC800 coils. Most people use HEC716's but I like the 800's because they are smaller and have an insulated plug on them. Only downfall is you have to make your own mounts for them. They are VL Nissan coils.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:01 pm

Well, I finally got 4 HEC716s today, quickly wired up 2 of them, and the engine started first go! Hurah!! (Only on 2 cylinders but)

Is there any specific set of leads to get for them?

Btw, thanks for all the help Al :D :D :D

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:08 am

No probs. :wink:

Just use any decent lead from repco or whatever, there is no need for special leads. Just make sure you wrap the lead in split conduit and tape it up to prevent them rubbing on the body and causing arcing. This does and will happen if you don't wrap them or run them through lead holders.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”