Starter motor direction of turn

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
4ca

Starter motor direction of turn

Post by 4ca » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if you can change the rotation of the starter motor. Mine has two large terminals on opposite sides of the unit. Only one of them is being used.

If I connect the positive up to the other terminal will she spin in the opposite direction?

Thanks in advance

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:54 pm

Cant answer your question , why would you want it to do that though.

Mike
ImageImage

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:17 pm

counter clockwise as i tested one recently.
Cheers
Tristan

4ca

Post by 4ca » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:45 pm

I am putting this engine into a small helicopter and don't have a gearbox.... Due to the fact that these starters normally poke in from the tranny side I no longer have the luxury of the normal mounting position.

I was thinking of hard mounting it to the engine case and changing the polarity.... that was the theory anyway.

Do you know of any other starters that have the same tooth pattern as the flywheel on the liberty?

AlpineRaven,
Sorry mate, not sure what you meant..... did you hook up the starter the wrong way and she spun up anti-clockwise? or is it the normal direction of rotation when you were testing it?

Cheers

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:31 pm

The starter motor turns counter clockwise (anti Clockwise) whereabouts the engine turns clockwise. . Its normal way of rotation to all (most) engines that I know of.. You need to earth the starter motor, and connect these two connectors at teh same time then it'll start up.

I dont think think you cant reverse it but worth a go + on the body and - on the terminals.
Cheers
AP

steve_rising_sun

Post by steve_rising_sun » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:57 pm

No it will not spin backwards. You need to reverse the field windings, goodluck.
Try early honda they spin 'backwards' the EL starter motor on some preludes looks like a Fugi
Steve

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”