L series headlights

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
PeeJay

L series headlights

Post by PeeJay » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 pm

In short - mine suck. The park lights on Mum's Kia are brighter than my low beams.

Is there any quick way of making them better. ie new bulbs or something?

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:14 pm

if they r sealed beams you can get a conversion kit to make them semi sealed and then put some farily bright globes in them
any good auto shop should have or be able to get them
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

waggaclint

Post by waggaclint » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:48 am

ive but those u/beut so called phillips bulbs in mine & the lights are marginally better... waste of money i reckon.....i think the only way is put driving lights on em hey......but ive also heard the imported models had better lights in em.....
2011 Forester X

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:42 am

but ive also heard the imported models had better lights in em.....

That is right, sort of. They definately shine a lot better but I don't know that it is because of a better light. I think it is usually because the lens/reflector is in much better condition. They are unusually bright, crisp clear looking when you compare the two.

Also L series wiring is ****. Re-wire the headlights right through the car and you will see a marked improvement. New wire and better relays (I recommend the NLR-132 New era head light relay - fused) make the difference especially when fitted with new or better lights.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:55 am

on mine there was over 1volt drop measuring at the light bulb connector - rather ridiculous really.
I think indeed it would be a great idea removing all that heavy conductor wiring from under the dash, and rewire with relays closer to the lights.
However 20yr old reflectors weren't much good either, also one had leaked water in, damaging the reflector as you can imagine.......

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:37 pm

*cough* HID's ;) rice for some but will make l series lights 100% better and brighter!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:51 pm

The Jap lights had a better reflector plus they didnt have the globe cover the Oz ones had
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:21 am

Hi all , yep my RX has a few problems in this area mainly becaust the nearside light has I think a buggered internal nylon pivot and the reflector section floats around like a jock in a sock . A replacement from Pick an Payless will fix that but whats the story with the Japanese lights ? Mine has the H4's with that tin cage in front of them so what L's got the Jap lighs so I can locate a pair ?

Also headlight wiring . My offside H4 plug looks partly fried most likely because it had a 100/90A globe in it and it runs quite hot . Thats now temporarily in the stuffed light and the normal 60/55A in the good one . I HATE maggoty headlight wiring so this car will have to be improved . Can anyone with a wiring diagram tell me if a 9/86 RX-T sedan has relayed lights and basically how the system works . I'd say its earth switched but some manufactures go to extravagent lengths to make weird latching relay systems to save the cost of ONE relay . In my perfect world there would be two relays , one switching power up to the lights and another to switch the earths for high or low beam filiments . Not sure how Sube does it .

Cheers and thanks , Adrian .

4xsama

Post by 4xsama » Thu May 10, 2007 10:17 pm

Pirhana products do a wiring loom which is simple to install. I had one on a WB p.Van. Most excellent
2000 Impreza RX
2010 Diesel Forester

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:23 pm

PeeJay wrote:Is there any quick way of making them better. ie new bulbs or something?
Yes. A good set of diriving lights. Many Subaru models have under-inspiring lights - all roads in Japan have street lighting. ;)
SUBYDAZZ

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:52 pm

When i finish the turbo conversion, i plan to rewire the headlights with heavy gauge wire directly from the alternator, with a relay behind eack light, that should give me over 13v at the lights when the car is running
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:29 pm

i just bought some decent driving lights..problem solved! as u can see in my sig pic

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:49 pm

discopotato03 wrote:I'd say its earth switched but some manufactures go to extravagent lengths to make weird latching relay systems to save the cost of ONE relay . In my perfect world there would be two relays , one switching power up to the lights and another to switch the earths for high or low beam filiments . Not sure how Sube does it .
You got it in one adrian, subi's are earth switched. This is how i've wired up my spotties (if you do the "conventional" positive wire switch the spotties come on after the lights are turned off...).

How all of this works with the relays for the standard lights i'm not entirly sure, is there a wiring diagram in that subaru pdf manual that has a link from this forum?

Hope this helps. I dunno if i can be bothered re-wiring my headlights just yet - the driving lights do a really good job - til you dim to low beam...

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:17 pm

From what I've seen most people have a manual "arming" switch and have the relay for auxilary lights triggered by the earthing of the high beam circuit . That way they only work on high beam and the arming or master switch gives you the option not to use them .

Cheers A .

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:24 pm

discopotato03 wrote:From what I've seen most people have a manual "arming" switch and have the relay for auxilary lights triggered by the earthing of the high beam circuit . That way they only work on high beam and the arming or master switch gives you the option not to use them .

Cheers A .
Yeah, got that too. Its a legal requirement in vic to have this (the switch "on/off" and the lights only to work on highbeam when switched on - fog lights are different and are allowed to operate with the parkers). Its also good for when my low beams are playing up or when i want extra light rather than low beams, just dip the spotties and use high beam. The early AU ford's lowbeams are much brighter than my standard high beams... that sucks.

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”