2.5 Litre liberty into MY?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
MYSUBACOUPE

2.5 Litre liberty into MY?

Post by MYSUBACOUPE » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Hey guys not sure if this has been asked before but here goes. Im planning a conversion on my MY and wondering if an 2.5 litre liberty motor will fit as wanna keep the car N/A. On another subject whats the best way to go for the 4wd conversion i understand all the brumby gear bolts staight on but id prefer constant 4wd if possible any suggestions people thanks.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:07 pm

The 2.5 will fit if it's SOHC.

If you want AWD use the Liberty box and the brumby/wagon 4wd torsion bar and diff setup.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:04 pm

I didn't realise there was a 2.5 SOHC ? I am more than happy to be corrected on this one, if they do exist I will be giving it sime serious thought for my conversion..

MYSUBA, there is a sticky about fitting the 2.2 SOHC liberty to MY's and L's it covers most of the gotcha's and for anything that is not there, there are heaps of ppl here who can help you over the speed bumps :)

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:10 pm

Most NA EJ25s were SOHC.

Otherwise . . . see the sticky!
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

MYSUBACOUPE

Post by MYSUBACOUPE » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:37 am

Ok so there are no problems with the engine size fitting in the engine bay then? and yeah ive read the sticky like a million times its very helpful but i only just realised there was a 2.5 and i couldnt find anything on it, has any1 out there done this conversion or know of it being done? thanks for your reply's guys cheers 8)

MYSUBACOUPE

Post by MYSUBACOUPE » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:02 am

Oops my bad reread tims sticky and he does mention the ej25 so ill just go sit in the corner now :oops: LOL

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:14 am

Well that makes two of us. I am going to go have an actual LOOK under my Foz bonnet for a change. :)

The only down side to a new car - keeping the warranty

In SA at least there is still the issue of easy, legal registration. They will only allow up to 2.2 SOHC. Without the whole engineer headaches. That _Might_ be why all the talk on 2.2 I dunno about other states or countries for that matter.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:29 am

In NSW you're limited to 2.0 with out engineering headaches

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:32 am

I wonder what the legalities are when I get moved to NSW with a legal 2.2 and then try to change my plates over ? Has anybody dones this and gotten away with it, ? Or am I better off just not tempting fate :)

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:38 am

Well bugger me, the Foz is a SOHC, when I find my stick of inches I will see if it will actually fit between the Brumby's rails without any butchering

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Sure, you can get away with it - how many mechanics really do check the engine number when they're doing a pink slip? Fact of the matter is you'll be uninsured and liable. If you kill someone you may even go to jail.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Pete wrote:I didn't realise there was a 2.5 SOHC ? I am more than happy to be corrected on this one, if they do exist I will be giving it sime serious thought for my conversion..

MYSUBA, there is a sticky about fitting the 2.2 SOHC liberty to MY's and L's it covers most of the gotcha's and for anything that is not there, there are heaps of ppl here who can help you over the speed bumps :)
Liberty RX has DOHC
Outback & Fozzies are normally SOHC.
Cheers
AP

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:47 pm

MUDRAT wrote:Sure, you can get away with it - how many mechanics really do check the engine number when they're doing a pink slip? Fact of the matter is you'll be uninsured and liable. If you kill someone you may even go to jail.
Very true, that was always my biggest concern with the EA82T in my previous Brumby.

steve_rising_sun

Post by steve_rising_sun » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:38 pm

Pete..........the only customers who come into work [like you] to service there cars, who dont know what sort of engine they have are 1. girls 2. wear pink underwear.
Ring me at work please I found a EJ20 wreck
Steve

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:02 pm

steve_rising_sun wrote:Pete..........the only customers who come into work [like you] to service there cars, who dont know what sort of engine they have are 1. girls 2. wear pink underwear.

Steve
:roll: I will take that in the spirit it was meant, and point taken. There is only so much I can do with a leased car still under warranty..

I will buzz you Monday, cheers for the heads up.

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 am

Post 98 SOHC engines(EJ20 and 25) are a lot wider than the early versions and I'm pretty sure the rails of an MY need cutting to clear the rear of the heads.

steve_rising_sun

Post by steve_rising_sun » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:23 am

I will take that in the spirit it was meant, and point taken. .

Point 3. was going to be a 'RAAF member' but I didnt whant to be rude
Steve

subanator

Post by subanator » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:05 am

MUDRAT wrote:Sure, you can get away with it - how many mechanics really do check the engine number when they're doing a pink slip? Fact of the matter is you'll be uninsured and liable. If you kill someone you may even go to jail.
BTW, where is the engine number on a EA82T? I might just check if its the same on the rego slip. I didnt seem to be able to find it easily.

EDIT: Found the engine number, hard to find under the thermostat housing?? And the engine number is the same as the one on the rego slip - phew!

MYSUBACOUPE

Post by MYSUBACOUPE » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:01 am

Ok well im in NSW so I think ill just have to stick with an EJ18 or EJ20 for the conversion. Damn those EJ25s really seem loke theyve got some balls too :( ohwell cant have every thing right 8)

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:19 am

:arrow: MUDRAT rates the the EJ20 conversion. 8)

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”