Brumby project advice

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Dougz

Brumby project advice

Post by Dougz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Hi all. New to this forums stuff so bear with me. I have been reading up on all the previous forums in relation to brumby conversions.

I have an 86 Touring wagon with EA82 turbo (i think aftermarket fitting of turbo). It has 3 inch lift and 2 1/2 inch exhaust.

I also have an 89 Brumby.

I want to make it a turbo brumby using as many parts as possible from the wagon (which will be discarded after the project)

I have read that the EA82 engines are not as good as the EA81 engines. If it is an aftermarket set up, should I/is it possible to transfer all fuel injection componets/turbo set up onto the EA81 motor. I also want to use the 5 speed gear box as it is heaps better. Any problems fitting this to the EA81 motor.

Any assistance would be good.
Thankx
Dougz

I will attempt to work out how to post some pics....[/img]

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:24 pm

At the end of the day the EA81 vs EA82 debate is a matter of preference, the EA81 is not necesarily better, just simpler, but if you want an older engine to turbo the EA82 wins hands down every time, at the same time, if you want an easy engine to turbo then go an EJ.

Although Jono has discoverd the EA82 turbo parts work very nicely on an EA81 when it's running on LPG.

Don't get my wrong, it can be done, but you need to consider what you want the car to do, what your budget is and how much time you can spend on it, and after all that will you be happy with the EA82.

Apparently the EA82 SPFI stuff can be adapted to the EA81's but the MPFI from the turbo doesn't work.

Now for the good news:
The EA82 gearbox does fit onto the EA81 and is a very common and highly recommended conversion.

Sorry to put a downer on you're project but I'd hate to see you put all the time effort and money in and regret it.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Dougz

Post by Dougz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Yeah I heard the 5 speed was a good conversion to do and after driving the touring wagon will definately be doing it.

I am not after a ute that is going to pull good times at a track. After all I am going to put in the lift kit and 14 wheels. I think an EJ conversion would be a waste of money for what I want as I dont want the trouble of cutting the chassis rails and then the trouble with getting more indepth engineers reports etc.

So I can put the fuel injection on the EA81 but not a turbo. Is that correct?

If that is the case then I think that I would be better to put the ea82 in. After all half the reason for doing it is to have a turbo brumby.

Cheers.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:49 pm

It has to be SPFI or throttle body injection, basically an elctronic carby, the MPFI manifold from the EA82 turbo wont go onto the EA81, the heads don't have the ports for it.

An EA81 on petrol can be turbo'd and if you want to go ahead with it Steve @ rising sun subaru is the man to talk to, but generally it's a lot of work for not much gain.

And an EJ is just as much if not less work than an EA82, you can fit a SOHC EJ 2L or under with out cutting the rails and with out needing to be engineered (more or less).

Jordan.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:54 am

If you are fitting a lift kit, you will need to cut teh chassis rails to fit an EA82T

Unless you have a particularly good EA82T i would be looking to fit a SOHC EJ in there...

Dougz

Post by Dougz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:10 am

Bugger, didnt want to hear that, as I have the EA82 in a donor touring wagon and was hoping to just sit the new engine in. I knew it was going to be close, but I havent actually started measuring yet. I thought that the lift kit would help not hinder.

Dougz

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:39 am

Whoa, Baron, whoa,

Jono ain't discovered too much at all yet - just in the planning process although I am finding others have gone down the EA82 turbo bits fit the EA81 in Brumby trick.

The crossmember needs work to fit the up pipe or find an EA81 turbo crossmember - should be next to the pile of chook teeth

exhaust distances apart are the same ea81/2 so exhaust - turbo or otherwise 'fit'. I think all intake stuff , clean air to turbo and out to carby, needs to fabricated as most EA81 are carby not efi.

Dougz

Post by Dougz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Hmm, Well If I could convert the bits over to the EA81 I would be cheering as the EA81 is in much better condition - No smoke. And as I said before it looks like it is an aftermarket turbo installation..
I would post some pics of the engine, but havent worked oiut how to put them up just yet.

Dougz

Dougz

Post by Dougz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:37 pm

Hope this works. Is a picture of engine bay of Wagon with Ea82.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2936/w ... ine9hk.jpg
Dougz....
84 Brumby - (Project rally car, one day)
89 Brumby
86 Touring Wagon - (with aftermarket turbo)
2004 BA Falcon Ute
2005 VZ SV6 Commodore.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi
hate to put a downer on your plan but vicroads (or most likely any other state reg. authority) will not allow an older motor in a younger car.
That is to say you need to put a motor from a vehicle the same month/year (or younger) as your Brumby's build date or you'll get knocked back after all the hard work. It would also be easier to get passed without alot of visible mods (intercooler etc). This rule applies to vehicles from 86 on. Also in Vic 'straight' gas is a no no for 86 onward The primary fuel system has to be the original set up from the donor vehicle.
I looked into 86 rx trbo running gear for my 92 Brumby a couple of years ago and was told no way.
Go for an ej single cam it'll be easier to fit and legal. In Vic if you put an ej18 you won't need an engineers certificate.
They will be able to ascertain the month/year of your engine from the engine no. whether its imported or local.
Sorry to ruin it for you but it would hurt if you did it and couldn't get reg.

Gee

Dougz

Post by Dougz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Ok then that throws a lot out the window. May have to look more into just adding the turbo to the ea81. (if this is in fact viable/possible) I was thinking about all the stuff that I can still salvage from the wagon. So still should get value for money from it..
Dougz....
84 Brumby - (Project rally car, one day)
89 Brumby
86 Touring Wagon - (with aftermarket turbo)
2004 BA Falcon Ute
2005 VZ SV6 Commodore.

redskin

Post by redskin » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:32 am

Hi
hate to put a downer on your plan but vicroads (or most likely any other state reg. authority) will not allow an older motor in a younger car.

Sorry thats not ness correct, l run an engineered, registered 1989 Brumby fitted with 1984 motor legally, l think you'll find the rules are not so clear when it comes to fitting same series engines
Redskin
89 Brumby
EA-81T.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:19 am

straight gas a no no on after 86 vehicles wonder why phttt! wankers ?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:23 pm

What about running a smaller tank like Dave has in hatchie and a gass tank?

Jordan.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”