2.2 to 2.5 conversion

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
esray71

2.2 to 2.5 conversion

Post by esray71 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 am

Would anyone know if possible or if it's legal (in vic) to replace the liberty 2.2lt with a 2.5lt ?? I have a liberty wagon, build date 11/96.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Yep you can do that...
There is RX liberty that are factory fitted EJ25. Is that engine your looking at is at Dandenong South?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

esray71

Post by esray71 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:44 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Yep you can do that...
There is RX liberty that are factory fitted EJ25. Is that engine your looking at is at Dandenong South?
Cheers
AP
Thanks for the reply, mine is a GX touring wagon. I'm not sure if my car would need modifying or some kind of strengthening to take the 2.5lt ? or if it's road legal and will pass Vic roads inspection?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 pm

esray71 wrote:Thanks for the reply, mine is a GX touring wagon. I'm not sure if my car would need modifying or some kind of strengthening to take the 2.5lt ? or if it's road legal and will pass Vic roads inspection?
It should be within their allowable capacity increase of 15% - if you can get it through vicroads with the engine number change there shouldn't be an issue. If it came as a factory option on the same model even easier to do.

I would say you'd be in the clear to do this, just make sure you take the ECU, wiring and all emissions gear from the donor vehicle to your vehicle to make it all work properly ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:42 am

It will be quite easy to get through Vicroads because they came from the factory with a 2.5, pretty simple. Walk in, tell them the engine number has chaged and thats about it. No strengthening or bigger brakes its all the same between the two cars. I wouldn't be asking if it's legal but more what is the point?

If you do it properly you need to use the donor ECU/engine loom then I would question the effort required to do so for what i think would be a pretty small gain.

Another option is bolting the 2.2 heads on the 2.5 block, and using all of the 2.2 sensors etc so you keep your factory wiring. Much simpler, and about the only method which makes this worth while.

If you do a complete rewire with the donor ECU then why would you buggerise around with all of that just to get an extra .3 ltrs and only a small gain. It would be virtually the same amount of effort to slip an early H6 or a turbo motor and you'd have a much better result. My Gen2 has a H6 and it is shit hot. The H6 in my Gen2 is better than the 2.5 in my L series, which is even better than the 2.5 in a Gen2. H6 would require engineering though, which is $600 or so. Sorry you didn't ask for an opinion on wether it was worth it or not, just thought i should give it anyway ;)

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

esray71

Post by esray71 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:13 pm

thank you for all for your replies and advice :). I'm not looking for huge gain in power, just a bit more to help when i tow and when i take on the hills and i don't want to modify the car too much.... just gives me something to think about and help in the direction i might go in....thank you ;)

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:20 pm

esray71 wrote:thank you for all for your replies and advice :). I'm not looking for huge gain in power, just a bit more to help when i tow and when i take on the hills and i don't want to modify the car too much.... just gives me something to think about and help in the direction i might go in....thank you ;)
Dont expect a huge difference in power between EJ22 & EJ25!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”