82 Sherpa 4wd conversion idea's

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
edakreklaw

82 Sherpa 4wd conversion idea's

Post by edakreklaw » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 am

Gday subie lover's ,

Im looking into selling my Gemini coupe and building a sherpa !
There is a 82 sherpa forsale for a grand near me , has rego & looks pretty straight. Now what do you guys think i'd like to try convert it to 4wd but am unsure of the design of the sherpa & how much room there will be for everything , ill have to wait until i pick it up next week if all goes to plan.
What would be a suitable transplant , id love to be able to use a Subaru engine a ea63/71 or 81 4wd sherpa would be different :) & mighty fun. Id like to stay with a Subaru engine under the bonnet & to have the boxer note.
Any idea's people ?

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 am

Forget about it - the boxer motor is not going to fit into the Sherpa, especially in front of an awd box.

I know cos there was one around the corner from me and I thought about the same idea until I actually looked at it..............

You aint gonna fit much into this engine bay :

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

olddog642

sherpa 4x4

Post by olddog642 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 am

There is just no room up front for a 4x4 conversion but you could always take the badges of it and put on a LJ10 eheheh
Hylton:evil::twisted:

olddog642

Ooops just found this

Post by olddog642 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:08 am

:oops::oops:In August 1981, the second-generation Subaru Rex became front-wheel drive, with all-new bodywork and independent suspension all around. At the time, it was stated that the only parts of the rear-engined predecessor to have remained were "two connecting rods and an ashtray".[15] Power remained at 31 PS (23 kW), with a twin-barrel carburettor. Three and five-door hatchback versions were available.[5] Optional on-demand 4WD became available after October 1983, a first for the class.[5] The 4WD system was electrically engaged by depressing an embedded switch on top of the gear shift. A turbo was introduced on the 4WD Rex in December 1983. The Rex Dinos, a trim level introduced in 1982, was only available by mail order catalog.

In the European markets, this car was originally marketed as the Subaru 600 or Mini Jumbo. In September 1982 it became the Subaru 700, as it received a larger 665 cc version of the two-cylinder,[5] producing 37 PS (27 kW) (a 35 PS version using lower octane gas was also available).[16] The engine used a single-barrel carburettor. Top speed was 125 km/h (78 mph), compared to 110 km/h (68 mph) for the 31 PS (23 kW) domestic version. These cars were 9 cm longer than their domestic counterparts, due to bigger bumpers, and received 12-inch wheels (rather than the ten-inch units used in Japan).[16] Production ended in September 1986, as Subaru was getting ready to introduce the modernized third generation Rex.

The bodyshell of the second generation Rex was also lengthened and widened to become the original Subaru Justy, with a larger 1-litre engine. The Justy remained in production until 1994, outliving the next generation Rex and even the Rex label itself.

Second generation Rex

Late Rex U sedan, rear view

Rex Combi (Van version)

[edit] Third generation

Third generation

Manufacturer

Subaru

Also called

Subaru Fiori
Subaru M60/M70/M80
Subaru Sherpa
Subaru Viki

Production

1986.11–1992.03

Successor

Subaru Vivio

Layout

FF / AWD

Engine

544 cc EK23 I2
544 cc EK23 supercharged I2
547 cc EN05A I4
547 cc EN05Z supercharged I4
658 cc EN07A/E I4
658 cc EN07Z supercharged I4
665 cc EK42 I2 (export)
758 cc EN08 I4 (export)

Wheelbase

2,295 mm (90.4 in)

Length

3,195–3,295 mm (125.8–129.7 in)

The third generation (KG/KN) was presented in November 1986 with the commercial spec Rex Combi with either three or five doors. The sedan version, intended for private use, was added a month later. In addition to an SOHC two-valve engine with 30 PS (22 kW), a version with three valves per cylinder (two intake and one exhaust) and 36 PS (26 kW) was also available. There was no turbo version of the new Rex. A two-speed automatic transmission was also available, as was a part time 4WD system. "Twin Viscuous" full time 4WD with a limited slip differential for the rear axle was made available in February 1987. From this point all four-wheel drives received the more powerful three-valve engine.[17] A CVT transmission was added June 1987, called ECVT.

A supercharged version with an intercooler and electronic fuel injection was added to the options list March 1988 as a response to the success of the Alto Works and Mira TR-XX. The output of the engine increased to 55 PS (40 kW). A supercharger meant less lag than for a turbo, although specific output tended to be somewhat lower than the competition.[17] This was available for both the 3- and 5-door versions. May 1988 saw an available electrically deployed canvas top added to the 3-door.

June 1989 saw a facelift and the replacement of the EK series engine to the four-cylinder EN05 "Clover 4" with 38 PS (28 kW) available to the standard engine and 61 PS (45 kW) from the supercharged engine. This was the first Kei four-cylinder since the Mazda Carol, and was unique to the class.[17] This, the KH1/2 series Rex (KP1/2 for the commercial Rex Combis), remained available in combination with the ECVT transmission and four-wheel-drive versions, but the two-speed automatic was dropped. In July, export versions (M70 in Europe, Sherpa in Australia) received the same changes and switched from the 665 cc 37 PS (27 kW) two-cylinder to become the M80 in Europe and the Fiori in Australia.[18] This iteration was uncommonly short-lived, as in March 1990 another facelift followed, with a 660 cc version of the EN engine (EN07) and an extended, more rounded nose because of new Kei regulations taking effect. These external differences did not appear in the Australian market until August, and in Europe (Mini Jumbo, M80) by early 1991.[19] This, which was to be the last Rex, received chassis codes KH3 (FF sedan), KH4 (4WD sedan), KP3 (FF commercial), and KP4 (4WD commercial). This generation Rex was marketed as the Viki in certain Southeast Asian markets.

Second facelift, third generation Rex VX Supercharger
Rex is also a common nickname for the high-performance Subaru Impreza WRX, especially in Australia where the actual Rex was originally marketed as the Sherpa and then as the Fiori. The Fiori derivative (sold as such from summer 1989) was also equipped with pink and blue pinstriping from the factory, and a two year, 50,000 km warranty was offered when new. Equipped with a different engine, the Fiori had Subaru's 758 cc carburetted four-cylinder EN08 powerplant. This engine, producing 42 PS (31 kW) at 6,000 rpm, was also used in those European markets that received the Rex. In Europe it was rebadged M80 to reflect the engine displacement. The M80 was available as a three or a five-door, in DL and SDX versions, with the SDX receiving a standard five-speed manual. Top speed was 125 km/h for four-speeds, 130 km/h for five-speeds.[18]

The end for the Rex came in March 1992, when it was replaced by the Vivio. A total of 1,902,811 Subaru Rexes were built in its lifetime.[17] Recently the Rex has become somewhat of a cult car in Japan, being popular in front-wheel-drive drift events.

[edit] Yunque

edakreklaw

Post by edakreklaw » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 am

thanks guys & yeah ive read up a bit on the rex 4wd thats what made me wanna convert a sherpa to 4wd !
gotta be a way to make one 4wd somehow ? i dunno ill have to think it out !

Ej20t in the boot with a front wheel drive box ha ha rwd sherpa:)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 am

edakreklaw wrote: Ej20t in the boot with a front wheel drive box ha ha rwd sherpa:)
Still wouldn't fit - the boxer motors are almost as wide as the whole Sherpa.
And they sit a fair way in front of the axles so with the Sherpa's short wheel base the driver would probably be sitting on the power steering pump !!
Even in a Brumby there is only just enough room to get the engine in the back (see signature pic)
edakreklaw wrote: thanks guys & yeah ive read up a bit on the rex 4wd thats what made me wanna convert a sherpa to 4wd !
gotta be a way to make one 4wd somehow ? i dunno ill have to think it out !
I'm sure you could use factory Justy 4wd gear - that would be about your only option but don't think you can get performance AND AWD. At least not without major surgery and it certainly wouldn't be registerable.

But anything is possible if you try hard enough - just look at the Suzuki Mighty boy with the LS1 Chevy V8 in it :eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 am

The Justy might be what you want in 4WD CVT style in same body as the Suzuki Swift of the time, thinkit was a 4WD version of the swift made by Suzuki and badged as a Sube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:13 am

From what I've heard around the traps the Justy was the first CVT gearboxed vehicle... Subaru "invented" it, Honda developed it in mass production with some of their luxury vehicles.

Something like that anyway...

I'd love someone to do up a 4wd'n Justy! I know Canon Carver on ORS is (He's in the US though).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 am

Given enough money and a workshop anything is possible. I wanted to make a sherpa monster car before I got married (note the married bit) using subaru running gear on a box frame chassis.

this is what a mad man has done to his justy

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:03 am

TOONGA wrote:this is what a mad man has done to his justy
Madman or just very skilled/patient?? Anyhow, shame it's an auto, imagine ripping a skid in that thing with a manual!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

purp

Post by purp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Get two of those electric motors that the dude put in the brumby, put one in the front and one in the back....

78sti

Post by 78sti » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 pm

This has been done by boxer service in brisbane many years ago.

It was a massive conversion and Don't think it could ever be registered. I think it was built as a track racer for doing gymkhana's etc.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Monster Sherpa?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 pm

If you can fit a radial aircraft engine in a Gogomobil, you can fit a boxer in a Sherpa :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2V7B7-gdRA
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”