Help with Canopy/Sports Bar fit for Custom Build?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Hamish71

Help with Canopy/Sports Bar fit for Custom Build?

Post by Hamish71 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:58 am

Im looking at doing this to my Brumby.
showthread.php?t=5304&page=2

However, I want to be able to use a canopy as well, if possible. So, the bar top would be a bit lower than the cab, but high enough so I can put my lights, and kayak carriers on it "over the cab height".

What I need to know is, is it feasible to build it inside the canopy dimensions? I dont have the canopy yet, coming soon. Anyone built such a bar, or, can show me some pictures about where the canopy sits relative to the cab?

The alternative would be to make the bar "easily" removable.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Thu May 15, 2008 8:49 am

So you want roof lights, a kayak carrier and a canvas canopy ?
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:16 am

Yes....this car will be my jack of all trades...
I will use it to:
1. daily driver/work car
2. carry trail bike
3. carry kayak
3. carry dogs
4. go camping/4wding

Obviously not all at the same time, but I want it quickly changeable. So, the plan is to:

lift it,
big wheel it,
power it up (EA81T to start with, EJ25 down the track)
put on a sports bar that can either fit under the standard fibreglass canopy, or be easily removed when the canopy is fitted. The sports bar is to carry the driving lights, and kayak mount (the other will be on a removable ladder bar half way down the tray)....which will also be able to be fitted to the canopy. The canopy, obviously, cannot be fitted when carrying the trail bike.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Thu May 15, 2008 9:40 am

I think your creating alot of work for youself. I went down this track with my own ute.
Leave the lights on the front of the car. If you need to see more output, put HID kits in.
Some canopys can have racks put on top to carry things like your kayak. http://www.flexiglass.com.au/flexiglass ... g-170.html
Then the bike. I've ended up with a removeable roof rack between sports bar at the front and rear. Annoyingly heavy to mount and dismount, so I'm thinking a trailer in the not too distant future. Plus I find it easier to load and unload the bike on something that is maybe 2 foot from the ground, as opposed to 4 foot.
Just some ideas.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks.

I dont want a large rack between front and rear bar. The ladder bar (rear bar) would be easily removable, just two pins. The front bar would hopefully stay where it is, canopy on, or off. would either swing lights down undr the canopy or remove them, and the kayak mounts when the canopy is on. I have read the HID lights threads, but havnt seen anyone manage it for the quad light brumby yet.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 pm

I don't mean to dump him in it, but I believe brumbyrunner is/has done it on one of his. I remember sending him the IPF inserts to do it.
I'd say with your 'sports bars' to have them in pods, so it's one bolt to take them in and out on each leg, if it doesn't interfere with your canopy mounts. And to have a simple plug so your roof lights if you really do want them, are an easy plug in job.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "pods"

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri May 16, 2008 9:03 am

The piccy above is a pod. It bolts to the inner side of your ute tub. Then the bar itself slides into it and the bolt with the triangle looking thing on the end screws in and holds the bar in. Makes taking the bars off very quick and easy.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:05 am

Sounds perfect...where do you get them from?

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri May 16, 2008 9:57 am

The place that does your bars will be able to them for you. It's what they call their removeable option.

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 am

possibly, but i was just thinking, that instead of buying a 2nd hand hilux bar, if I had the bar holders like you have pictured, I could just get an exhaust place to bend a tube for me...should be really cheap.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”