Certification for fitting EJ22 or EJ25 to L-series

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 pm

[quote="subalex"]Ok then, does anyone know how the L-series would be rated in NSW? QUOTE]

When I spoke to the WA version of RTA re my planned car mods they told me that the Subaru L's are NOT considered to be 4WD's they are categorised as a 'Passenger' vehicle. Same as those Toymotor 'TERCELs'....

Most states would come down to the similar basic rule of 'power to weight' ratio. This was also explained to me by an auto engineer here in Perth. As some have also said earlier, it can also be subject to some other factors, such as age of the vehicle and what you are doing to it AND what the car came out with from the factory. But if they can 'OK' my EJ25 into my 85 L then you shouldnt have too much trouble. From memory my 2.5L just scraped in, in regards to power increase over the std EA taking into consideration the car's std unladen weight. I put the entire rebuild past this engineer guy prior to doing anything, who said its all fine. All I have to do when complete, is supply a comprehensive list of all the modifications to him and then book the car in with him for a few days to perform steering & braking tests using his fancy diagnostic gear. Also cos I stuck to all Subaru parts and componants it should make my mods easier to certify than say custom modded parts or non subaru parts as they've already passed ADR standards.

But you intend to get your car fully engineered Ben, I would recommend you put your custom 2" lift in AFTER its certified. Cos the lift can alter the car's steering geometry and brake performances in a test and coz the 2" lift does not require an eng cert within Oz they cant knock you back after the jobs done. Also, coz your lift will be 'home made' it MAY possibly make it a lil harder to 'engineer' than say a pretested 'scorpion kit' for eg. But thats just my 2 cents worth.

Regards
L-Raiser
:rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subalex

Post by subalex » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks for the contributions everyone has made so far. I must admit that I'm swaying toward just an EJ20 (NA) instead of a 2.5 - though I'd love to... sounds like an awful lot more stuffing around and I just don't have enough spare time, or money, to fuss with it. If I was building a racer, sure I'd go the 2.5 turbo straight-up. However, daily driver, not asking for trouble... AWD and 2.0 will do as a nice balance. Up those steeper hills I'd like a 2.5 (I remember the Outback wagon handling it with ease even with the 1.1 quasi low range) but... anyway.

Fredsub... looking at an engine from a Forester as soon as the owner can put the loom back in the car and start it up. If all goes well I'll try haggling with both him AND the wife. :-) If it doesn't start up then I'll keep hunting.

Then there's the gearbox and clutch from Victoria, tank upgrade, re-seal some heater ducts while I'm installing the loom, get an adaptor plate, new this and that.... and voila! As simple as a horse giving birth to a 5 year old pig.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks for the thread Subalex i think i will go down that path myself......... Now for a donor car?

Cheers

Chris

Storm

Post by Storm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:51 am

L-Raiser wrote:But you intend to get your car fully engineered Ben, I would recommend you put your custom 2" lift in AFTER its certified. Cos the lift can alter the car's steering geometry and brake performances in a test and coz the 2" lift does not require an eng cert within Oz they cant knock you back after the jobs done. Also, coz your lift will be 'home made' it MAY possibly make it a lil harder to 'engineer' than say a pretested 'scorpion kit' for eg. But thats just my 2 cents worth.
In NSW this isn't entirely correct. Yes a 2" lift is pretty uniform around OZ but how you do it isn't. A 2" lift using 2 inch taller springs isn't a problem but if you are going to add a component that was not in the car from the factory then you have to get it certified in NSW. Many don't and unfortunately their cars are not legal.

Tell the RTA what you are doing, get it on paper that they say its ok, get an engineer to check it, and drive your beasty knowing its legally registered. Also don't forget to tell your insurance company.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”