L Series EA to EJ

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:37 pm

yeh, got it off no worries once i worked out what it was and how it was held on there. its funny how its much easier to undo something when you know for sure it has to be taken off :rolleyes:

The EJ is all cleaned up, new oil seals on the front and main seal on the back, new timing belts and water pump too. The EA is out of the L series (so if anyone is after a good EA with 220k on it and belts and seals done about 20k ago give us a yell ;))

now in the process of cleaning up the wagon before the new motor goes in. a bit of surface rust to fix up and a few spots i want to repaint and tidy up first.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:06 am

MTB92 wrote:The EJ is all cleaned up, new oil seals on the front and main seal on the back, new timing belts and water pump too. The EA is out of the L series
I bet you'll be getting pretty excited now!

Tip: excitement aside, just be thorough with the work that's required to get the EJ going first turn of the key! Also remember to prime the fuel lines first ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm

yeh, still a lot of work to do first cleaning up the l series while it is empty though!

I have done a bit of looking at what fuel pump to use, and i have seen the suggestion of a VL Com pump. I can get a goss pump for $210 that seems to fit the bill. Any other suggestions of what pumps would be worth looking at? (i only have a basic understanding of fuel pumps)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm

My local joint said that an external fuel pump for the VN 5 litre V8 commodore would do the same and it should be a cheap option that will still go the distance ;)

Any type of fuel pump that's an external pump to the tank that can do an engine of 2.2 litres or more in capacity should be fine, so long as it's only got two terminals on the pump (pos and neg) which is all you have from the ECU to work with...

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:55 pm

El_Freddo wrote:My local joint said that an external fuel pump for the VN 5 litre V8 commodore would do the same and it should be a cheap option that will still go the distance ;)
just checked the catalogue, the v6 vl and the v8 vn fuel pumps are in fact one and the same. So i guess that makes that decision easy then! :-D

The Goss pump i got the quote for is just an aftermarket one made to suit a vl.

Cheers :)

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 pm

well, i have been pretty busy with other things, so haven't spent as much time on it as i would like to have. Its getting somewhere now though :)

cleaned up the engine bay and put in the new motor. still a fair bit to do before i fire it up, but its starting to look pretty good now!

[ATTACH]3131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3132[/ATTACH]

getting exciting now :twisted:

I am probably going to need a few pointers for how to connect the EJ aircon compressor and alternator to the L series wiring, but i haven't looked to hard into that myself yet.
Attachments
P1000218.jpg
P1000218.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
P1000212.jpg
P1000212.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 2252 times

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 pm

MTB92 wrote:getting exciting now :twisted:
I bet and looking good :cool:
MTB92 wrote:I am probably going to need a few pointers for how to connect the EJ aircon compressor and alternator to the L series wiring, but i haven't looked to hard into that myself yet.
There is a wiring diagram on here somewhere?? it's either on Bennie's page or Dave/Subarino's page.

For the A/C side of it, I join the the rubber pipes off the EJ compressor to the rubber pipes off the EA system. An auto sparkie can supply and swage them on for you. Now days the fittings come with R134a fittings so the system can be filled by most places.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm

theres a wire on the ecu that needs to be grounded to change it to manual gearbox
not sure if it matters but it may make a differance
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 pm

from the computer pinout i have manual recognition is 7v, auto is grounded.

If i do more work on it in the future there is also a pin to determine if it is nuetral or not, and i would like to hook that up.

I am having real trouble with the fuel lines though. had pressure build up into the tank and fuel leaking out of the cannista with the fuel pump on. I have never done anything with the fuel before, can someone explain what i am doing wrong.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 am

MTB92 wrote:I am having real trouble with the fuel lines though. had pressure build up into the tank and fuel leaking out of the cannista with the fuel pump on. I have never done anything with the fuel before, can someone explain what i am doing wrong.
I'm guessing you have them hooked up incorrectly :???:

Sounds to me like you've got the return fuel going to the cannister. I would double check your line up.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

MTB92 wrote:Image

getting exciting now :twisted:
I bet you are! There's quite a lot of work done just to get this far! And it's really exciting when you get it in there and you realise that it's becoming a reality for you.

And the fuel issue - you need to have the main inlet line up top, return on the other large line below it, can't remember if it's the one to the front or the rear of the car... the other one is the vapour line that goes to the canister. If you need to double check it trace them - that'll let you know for sure which is which, it'll be a tricky job though!!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:12 pm

She goes!! :D :D

sorted out the fuel issues and had to change the starter motor to the one off the lib (dunno why the l series one stopped working).

first turn of the key and away it went :D roared into life and then slowly settled down to idle. :cool:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:39 pm

MTB92 wrote:She goes!! :D :D

sorted out the fuel issues and had to change the starter motor to the one off the lib (dunno why the l series one stopped working).

first turn of the key and away it went :D roared into life and then slowly settled down to idle. :cool:
Awesome news Robbie. Well done mate :) better start planning a trip for next time I'm home.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Great feeling eh?

Now to tidy everything up - MAKE SURE you finish off anything you set out to do before you drive her off down the road as you'll never get it done! I know this from experience!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 am

RSR 555 wrote:Awesome news Robbie. Well done mate :) better start planning a trip for next time I'm home.
yeh, we should do. cant wait to get it onto some sand :-D might be a little while longer before its ready to go offroad again tho...
El_Freddo wrote:Great feeling eh?

Now to tidy everything up - MAKE SURE you finish off anything you set out to do before you drive her off down the road as you'll never get it done! I know this from experience!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Bennie
ooops, to late for that :p had my first drive in it today, couldn't go far with no exhaust though, that is getting done tomorrow. geez, it sounds fast with no muffler on :twisted:

I will keep working on it when i get back at uni in a few weeks. just little stuff to do like bolt down the air intake and repaint roobar and a few other little things. I do hope i dont have to go under the dash for a long time yet, there is about 25 zip ties holding the ecu and all the wiring up out the way... very messy!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 am

MTB92 wrote:ooops, to late for that :p had my first drive in it today, couldn't go far with no exhaust though, that is getting done tomorrow. geez, it sounds fast with no muffler on :twisted:
Yeah I remember the angry growl I could hear through the firewall when I first dropped my EJ in. It was awesome and I found it a little scary too as I was on new territory for me!
MTB92 wrote:I do hope i dont have to go under the dash for a long time yet, there is about 25 zip ties holding the ecu and all the wiring up out the way... very messy!
Mine's the same! I'm dreading putting all the dash board in and sorting out all that wiring again!

I think I've got a photo or two of it somewhere if you want to have a gander.

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 pm

I have had the car on the road again for a few weeks, with a few rattles, squeaks and other strange noises still to sort out. i have fixed most of them, still a couple to go. The exhaust is connected up, just a 1.75" i think, but it makes plenty enough growl. and it goes like the clappers! :shock: taken a few friends on drives, a lot of them knew i was working on the car but not fully understood what i was doing, they normally swear till about 80k/hr :D

The power steering is also great to have.

I am also trying to do a bit of tidying up on the outside to make it look a bit more presentable. today i went in to get some paint mixed (as well as some other stuff), but the computer gives 2 different mixing properties for the same code (735 lake blue metallic). one is COB (clear over base), one isn't. any ideas on what i should be getting? will they both make the same colour with different combinations?

oh, Bennie, i will be right without the pictures, if i have any desire to see the mess again i have only got about 5 screws to uno on mine :P

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:59 pm

I just tossed an mpfi instrument cluster , now reminded it may have been useful to an EJ in an L carby conversion. Without me reading back 5 pages, did you hook up speed sensor to something ?

After playing with an Imprezas wiring and ECU (out of the car too mind you) I do not know how you guys get it done in the end !

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Cool..., Are you coming on the next trip then?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:35 am

no, speed sensor is not hooked up, the other dash could be useful in that sense. I have left that, as well as the neutral switch marked off the computer, because i would at some stage like to do something to improve it further. at the moment i am getting around 10L per 100, and i have been driving like a young bloke who has just done his first motor conversion...:rolleyes: so i am not overly worried about it.
it may improve fuel efficiency/increase power, but it has plenty more of both of them than the EA did. ;)

and as for the wiring, i am pretty stuborn... i got it in my head that i could do it myself and i did. it took a looong time and i learnt a hell of a lot in the process, but i got there in the end and have the benefit now :D

And yeh Guy, but not on the preston beach trip. there are still a few things like dodgy radiator hoses that need fixing up before i go off road again. starting up uni again has slowed things down. But i cant wait to get it on the sand again, it should fairly hoot :D

btw Guy, next time i get parts off you remind me of your shovel... its still in the back of my car!

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”