how do you re-locate a brumby tailgate handle?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
kona480

how do you re-locate a brumby tailgate handle?

Post by kona480 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:24 pm

if i wanted to shave the tailgate handle could it be flipped around to the inside? because there is a screw off panel on the inside you could put it there and smooth it.
Has anyone done this? if so could you please post photos?

Hamish71

Post by Hamish71 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 am

Im keen on this answer as well.
Id also like to know if anyone has gone further with the shaved look for brumbys in terms of door handles etc.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:08 am

you can shave anything but then you need to look into another way to open the doors....you can put like a pull up at the top of the door to release the catch or do it by remote....keyless entry...push the button and door pops open...have also seen were a button has been placed to push that...like on a lift...but thats not real good if you dont want someone else to borrow your car
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:07 pm

From memory, the main mechanism for the tailgate is all in the centre so if you knock up a plate to replace it and mount some actuators from a central locking kit, it could pull on the wire that attaches to the latches. Press a button and it unlocks. Sounds easy in my head.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:57 am

ahh yes,

i remember tighteningthe tailgate latch so as the gate released when you pulled on the handle, as opposed to getting stuck.

That would mean that you could instal a remote locking actuator to release and to lock the rear tailgate ( i assume).

But i think that swapping the actual handle around would be difficult (not impossible).
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:01 pm

There are legalities to removing door handles, don't just assume you can remove them...

Tailgate won't be a problem though
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”