2.5L turbo and AWD running gear into a Vortex!!

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
chicmech

2.5L turbo and AWD running gear into a Vortex!!

Post by chicmech » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:50 am

I have an 88 front wheel drive manual non-turbo Vortex. I want to put a 2.5L turbo motor and running gear into it. Any ideas on where to start?? I'm thinking of buying a written off WRX or Legacy, so I can get the wiring harness, computer, gearbox and motor all together, then rebuild the motor before I put it in. has anyone done this or heard of it being done before??? Any hints or ideas would be great!!!

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:48 pm

well, if you do go ahead with it, which a lot of people on this forum will be able to help you with, I put first dibs on buying your old engine and components...I'll be watching;)

cheers.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:18 pm

Outback Bloke has done the full EJ into Vortex thing once or maybe twice. Never got to drive it but I reckon it would be an absolute weapon.
I've got a soft spot for these un-loved of the L series, so I'll be watching your build if you go ahead. After owning a few L wagons, sedans and Vortex, turbo and na, I reckon the Vortex has the most unexplored potential of them all.
Settlement Creek Racing

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Yeah, with a air drag figure of cd 0.29, they would be awesome with a 2.5, and a lot better on fuel than an outback.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:25 am

downloads.php?do=file&id=20

One of the ones I built. It was a 2.0 turbo AWD. The other one I built was 2.5 for a very short while. It was ballistic until I cracked the block. It was a 2.5 NA block with forgies, sti heads and cams from a 2L (slightly more compression due to chambersize), microtech computer VF22 turbo. When boost came on the car tried screwing the tread off in second gear in a straight line. 1st gear was dangerous and would have blown the box in no time. I had 27 inch mud tyres on it and it was like driving on ice off road.

I ended up spending a lot of money on another 2.5 block having it strengthened and then rebuilt it but with a smaller more sensible turbo for every day driving and put it in a 95 wagon.

If you want a fast car then do it. The Vortex is super light compared to the WRX you will get the motor from and way more streamlined.

chicmech

Post by chicmech » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:33 am

I had a Vortex 6 years ago - got a custom spray job, new import motor from japan, loved it. It was my 2 year project, and to this day it was my favborite car by a mile. The day before it was due to go over the VicRoads pits, a drunk driver crashed into me, put me in hospital and wrote of the Vortex (nicknamed "Vorry") I was heartbroken, and couldn't face rebuilding it again. So I sold it for parts. I actually cried when it got sold as a wreck.
Now my husband and I have our own workshop. I saw a vortex in a front yard of someones house, went in and gave them my business card and made them an offer. They accepted it!!! I now have it in the workshop, awaiting it's conversion from awesome car, to awesomly fast car. My first one blew the head, so I wanted to put the EJ20T or EJ25T in it, cos I think they're stronger. At the moment it has an EA82.
The body is in great nick, and it's a manual, so there's half the battle with a restoration.
Once I find another motor and gearbox and running gear, we'll pull out the motor and box that's in it, and you're welcome to make an offer.
The motor doesn't like starting cold, has a slight miss and a flat spot. The engine light flashes on and off. It's only done 176000kms.
So, if anyone is selling the motor, gb, running gear, ECU and wiring, let me know. Thinking about buying a written off WRX (may have to settle for a single turbo, and maybe 2L instead of 2.5L if I can't find one), and using that for the bits.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Sounds interesting. Heaps of pics of the build up please. Both of mine have been lifted. I would love to build one for the street though.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 pm

yeah, me too.
Settlement Creek Racing

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:04 am

I always wanted a vortex streeter too, have always dreamt of building one with either the 2.7 or 3.0 six in it with a turbo on each side.

chicmech

Post by chicmech » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 am

Finding it hard to get a written off rex. Looked through auction site (pickles, flowles etc). Would be hard for me to get to to actually buy one!!
I did find a company in WA though, and they could freight me over a front cut, but with the rear diff, brakes and suspension and also the rear loom. Rear loom would be great becuase then I could put ABS in too!!
They could do that for about 3500-4000. That would be for a 95/96 2.0L wrx. The guy there thinks that the 2.0L motor is more reliable and higher revving....and the 2.5L is more for torque. Anyone got any thoughts on this??
Not too fussed about the year of the motor, because I'll rebuild it anyway. Gearbox too if I have to.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi and welcome. Here's a link to a members vortex +ej conversion showthread.php?t=1650 it also ended up with 5 stud etc.As has already been said plenty of pics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:24 pm

chicmech

Post by chicmech » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:33 am

Hey Outback Bloke, that vid shows your vortex on the road......did you get an engineers certificate, and if so, what issues did you have with it. Just wondering if it would pass?? Read up on the modefication laws from VicRoads last night, and it seems doubtful I could ever get mine to pass an engineers?
I'll still do it anyway though.......

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:17 pm

Yeah, both of mine were approved. All the turbo conversions we do we get approved. It pays to know an engineer and what is required and how to get around things. I have no idea what is involved in your area though.

chicmech

Post by chicmech » Tue May 19, 2015 12:52 pm

If anyone is interested in buying the complete Vortex it's now up for sale!!!

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”