EJ Dual Range AWD 1.19:1 Lo range upgrade to 1.59 {56k warning}

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
nepbug

Post by nepbug » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Ok, that's what I thought, but when it wouldn't budge when I tried to spread it I thought I must have missed something.

I'll try again in the morning, with s little more persuasion if needed now that I know that is the correct course.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Edit:
Yep, I went back and got it out of there with a little gentle persuasion from a hammer and punch.

Donkeytits1

Post by Donkeytits1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Just did this modification to a

Gen 1 Liberty GX Wagon
mfg March 1993
3.90 final drive

I can confirm that the only modification necessary was milling of the selector fork; the spline length was OK and the front housing and bearing were also the same; All rotating parts were a direct swap.

There is not much clearance between the diff and the new synchro sleave, about 2mm!! But thats enough

TIP:
Got a 1/4 ball end tool to mill the detent pits, which is quite simple to do by using one of the selector shafts as a mount.
- Hold the shaft straight up in the mill (a rotary table and chuck work well for this)
- Mount the old selector on the shaft and tap in the dowel a little
- Line up the tool with the dentents and measure depth
- Take the old selector off and replace with the new selector
- Mill the detent pits to the correct depth

Transmission works brilliantly. MUCH better than the normal 1.19 ratio!!!

Here's my shifter fork. The detents milled with the method above work flawlessly
Attachments
Shift fork 2.jpg
Shift fork 2.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
Shift fork 1.jpg
Shift fork 1.jpg (61.11 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”