GT Forester performance mods

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Peejay... will only the electric ones do this?? not the mechanical ones?? Seams to be a big price difference between the electric and manual ones.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 am

I'm not sure actually. I think the mechanical ones work by using a spring diaphragm which I'm guessing would slightly open as the boost increases. If you goto a Jaycar Electronics store and have a look in a magazine called "Performance electronics for Cars" they have a boost controller article in there and they explain it better than I could.

Psymon

Post by Psymon » Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 am

Yeah most manual boost controllers, bleed valves and such, will let the wastegate gradually open. Electronic boost controller, because they are operated by an electronic solenoid can keep the wastegate completely shut until the desired boost level is reached. Which should let you have full boost a little bit earlier.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Well actually buying this car off Subarino a few years ago, selling it and now buying it back with 400k km on the ODO. What I have done is what he should of done.
I removed the 3 cats. The one in the up pipe, down pipe and mid section. This improved the turbos spool by 500rpm. The car now reaches full boost 0.9Bar(Max for the little TF035) @ 2500RPM. For the 4 speed auto this is great as the torque converter gets the car into boost fairly quickly and allows you to power on. I swapped out the stuffed intercooler for a better condition 01-02 Forester GT one(Same as 99-00 GC8 STI) with a GC8 STI Y pipe behind it for better flow. I Removed the old MBC Bleed Valve and got the ECU Remapped and peaking at 0.9 Bar (13.2PSI). The remap was a stage 1 tune plus I've removed the flow restrictions from factory. I don't see any added benefit in fitting a 3" turbo back when its still only running a tiny turbo. The turbo starts running outta puff around 4800rpm but how often are you above there anyway.

This remap as refined the auto gearbox shifts, improved fuel economy and made the vehicle quick'ish. On average it's around 9-12l per 100km. Speaking to the tuner the vehicle would be putting out around 165-170kw and 320nm at the crank which is respectable.

If the original motor didn't have 400k km I would of swapped on a VF29 which is great for mid range power and well suited to the 4EAT gearbox in my opinion. It is used on Rally spec subarus due to its ball bearing spool characteristics.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”