Power Steering for EJ converted Brumby

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Tim82

Power Steering for EJ converted Brumby

Post by Tim82 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi Guys,

just wanted to see what others have done with power steering setups for EJ converted brumbys/MYs?

at the moment i have manual steering but have been thinking about putting in power.

i already have an EJ power steering pump from my EJ motor, does anyone know if i can use a MY, L or EJ rack to bolt straight into brumby and connect up to EJ pump with original lines??

probably wont bother about converting if i have to get custom stuff made, was hopeing a combination may just bolt in!!

Cheers Tim
91 Brumby

Lift, Tyres, EJ, plus more...

GOD

Post by GOD » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:41 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:I don't think there are any similarities (between L and MY). Lines are definately different... rack is different, pump is different. You need to find an MY (82-84) touring wagon to get power steering parts for your brumby. These parts will bolt straight on.

There are a fair few parts you will need to make sure you have so unless you purchase an entire car be sure to ask on here what parts you will need.

Dave
10 characters
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:18 am

Easiest way is to buy an MY power-steer rack and get custom lines made up to run from the rack to the pump.
If you have bigger tyres and a heavier motor, you won't know the car after it gets p/s.
To me it's like aircon, rear discs and rear lsd, it's a must have.
Settlement Creek Racing

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am

hi Tim,

I want to run the same thing in my almost finished project.

Do i need everything from the rack up, or doi need the entire rack as well?

And i am pretty sure i dont need the crossmember?

Brumby runner can you share some thoughts on this
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

Tim82

Post by Tim82 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:11 pm

does anyone know how much approx for custom hoses?

and will an MY power steer rack bolt straight into manual rack car? ie. just need to get the rack or does it have a different mounting i need to get too.

Cheers Tim
91 Brumby

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:04 am

P/S rack will bolt straight in.
Hoses, don't know because there's too many variables but if you joined the EJ ones onto some My ones it would be cheaper allbeit messier than complete custom hoses. Probably couple hundred bucks would pull it up.
Settlement Creek Racing

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 am

Yep, I agree with brumbyrunner, this is what I did when I did an MY.

You can use the EJ lines almost completely. The two screw-in fittings that need to screw into the MY rack just don't fit - wrong thread.
All you need to do is cut them off and solder on the correct ones from the MY lines and everything works.

So when you get the MY power steering rack just make sure you also get the lines with it.

I got EnZed to do the cutting and soldering job for me, costed me about $33 I think.

Complete custom hoses will likely cost quite abit extra and really isn't required. The EJ hoses will only fail in extreme conditions (such as very long sustained burnouts at full steering lock!).

Tim82

Post by Tim82 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks very much for the great replys!!

ill start looking into getting the parts together for it.

Cheers Tim
91 Brumby

justin35

Post by justin35 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:05 pm

gday tim82 ,,i just had my lines made up here in adelaide`(MY with ej22)go see the guys at HARDY SPICER at dry creek they will make what you need,but you need to take in the ea and the ej type lines.mine cost $150....they will even come to you and do on site..call stefan on 0417 053 095..

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm

EJ lines fit L series rack.
L series rack fits brumby cross member.
Brumby power steer rack and tie rod ends fit L series rack.

Or you can do what we do. Fit the EJ rack. Need to modify the cross member hole so the steering shaft will fit through. Then you get a 14mm die nut and use it to shorten the EJ rack ends.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Outback bloke wrote: Or you can do what we do. Fit the EJ rack. Need to modify the cross member hole so the steering shaft will fit through. Then you get a 14mm die nut and use it to shorten the EJ rack ends.
Just wondering have you guys done this with unlifted vehicles? The admittedly limited times I've seen this put into practice on L series it seemed that the steering shaft was at a different angle to the one in the L series rack and without a lift kit to increase the distance, the uni joints were beyond their limits.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 pm

I have fitted an Impreza rack to a Brumby that was unlifted. I honestly don't remember what the angles were like on the unis.

Tim82

Post by Tim82 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:16 pm

So outback bloke,

to clarify, i can bolt an Lseries rack straight into my brumby, connect EJ lines up to the EJ pump, and the brumby tie rod ends will screw onto the Lseries rack?

that should make it that all original parts can be used?

Cheers Tim
91 Brumby

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Wow,

who would have thought that would work. I just didnt evn consider trying to fit the ej rack into the brumby. So presumably alli do is go to a steering rack shop, get the tie rod ends shortened, and whammo all fits together.

Sounds awesome to me. will investigate further.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 am

Hi team,

Just a quick question;

Trying to fit the EJ power steering onto the brumby, i assume that when you say a bit of cutting you mean to cut off the large thick steel panel that you jack the car off directly under the engine?

Where there any tricks to this job? Obviously you want that piece of steel to go back there, so assume that you make a new piece that can bolt on/off?

cheers

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:14 pm

If you look at the plate under the steering you will see 4 spot welds that hold it in place. Just drill them out and it will come off. Then just bolt it back on through the holes you drilled when you are done.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 pm

the ej ps rack doesnt bolt into man steer brumby xmember, as the mounts are not big enough to fit the fatter rack in. i cut the mounts off ej member and welded them onto brumby member so utilising the ej rubber mounts and brackets. you will notice pass side mount needs moving in or out a bit to clear pipe.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”