92 Brumby Seats

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Subiegirl

92 Brumby Seats

Post by Subiegirl » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi

My brumby seats have had it, i want to replace them with comfy nice seats. Does anyone know of any subaru seats that are compatible and can bolt straight onto the existing rails.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

81GGR

Post by 81GGR » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:46 pm

I am going through the same problem at the moment. My seats are quite badly torn, and are not very supportive.

I bought some wrx seats. They are not straight bolt in. I am going to make an adaptor bracket this weekend to bolt them into the brumby. That will involve bolting/welding the wrx seats onto the bracket and then bolting the adaptor to the brumby seat rails in the same location the brumby seats are "screwed" (ie: not bolted) to the seat rails.

They will be nice and comfy and get the driving position up a little higher as both myslef and my wife are a little vertically challenged - so I am looking forward to it :)

I recall that on here someone mentioned that seats from the L-series liberty will go in - or from a ka model ford laser - but I don't have any first hand experience with that. Another option may be to get the standard seats re-covered. That wouldn't cost too much.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:40 am

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am about to bid on a couple of front seats out of a WRX on ebay for my brumby. A spring came through the seat and jabbed me in the butt.

Before I bid, can anyone assure me that they do fit with some modification I expect..Thanx

stinky

Post by stinky » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:53 am

they can be made to fit, but it's not easy, and they end up a bit higher than the brumby seats which can be a problem if you're tall.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:53 am

oh, I'm 6'1". Might be a problem then. I like to sit low down and back as far as I can go.

What about the other seats people go for, the liberty is it? thanx

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:16 am

my wrx seats are in the brumby, i have 950mm room from seat to roof, i 5'11 and there is couple inches. you can get them lower than that but you need to lower the inner front corner.
the way they are, if you put em as low as you can, you need to raise the rear so as to get the recliner to click in before the seat rests on the rear window.alternatively (tho harder) you could lower the front. you also need bifferent spacers inner and outer to get the seat level. i leveled the car from the strut towers left to right, then leveled the seat

81GGR

Post by 81GGR » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 am

hey wrxer - i've installed wrx seats in my brumby too - from an my03wrx.

not sure how you have done it but i took all the mounting points etc of the wrx seat rails and then welded on the mounting points from the brumby rails. i had to make an extension for the outer rail as it sits out a bit wider than the mounting position - but i had no trouble with leveling etc. by using the wrx seat rails i was able to retain the height adjustability on the drivers seat. and they "click in" etc fine without hitting the rear window (unless you have them all the way back before you "click in"

i'll take some pics when i get back from holidays for those that are interested, but the new seats do take up more room in the cabin, are higher and you do lose a little leg room. they don't flip forward quite as far either for putting stuff in behind them.

my wife an i aren't big people so the extra height and more huggy seats suits us fine and the driving position is well improved from the saggy old brumby seats : )

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 am

Yeah WRX seats can be made to fit but some cutting/welding/adapting of the rails is required.

Alternatively an easy upgrade is to get a couple of seats from an L series touring wagon. These are still a massive upgrade over standard Brumby seats and bolt straight in with no modification at all.

henpecked

Brumby replacement seats - options are ?

Post by henpecked » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:12 pm

I am also in this replacement situation, can any of you out there confirm the laser KA comment above , or the suggestion I see on ebay from sa subiparts that some forester seats are a bolt in proposition ?

thanks in advance

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am

hi

Wish i had welding skills lol Yeah i think i'll be going with a re upholstery option, then i can customize :)

cheers

1111giles

Brumby Seat upgrade.

Post by 1111giles » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi From Halifax UK. (Currently -10/20 deg & Snow bound !!!)
I am half way through swapping the knackerd original Brumby seats for Mk 1 Forester seats. (from a 2000 my car).
These are my recommend as the driver has full adjustment and they benefit from the arm rest !
The are a fiddle to fit but worth it !
I completely stripped the original fixing points from the forester seats and removed the fixings from the brumby ones.
Each fixing has to be raised by 15mm the rear outer by 20mm to compesate the extra width of the forester seat in relation to the transmission tunnel.
The smart plastic side finisher on the forester seat should then sit just on top and on the edge of the original Brumby sill cover. So the conversion looks neat. If you use 50mm wide stip then you have sufficiant scope to span the different seat rail widths.
This seat I think gives the most comfortable conversion and tranforms the ride of the Brumby. Well worth the work.
ps in the UK Brumbys are called MV1800's.
Regards
Giles.

jake

Post by jake » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 am

So, are there any modern seats that bolt directly in? I think that some seats they sell at Autobarn here have like a type of multi-pattern, because they bolt directly into a few different manufacturers cars.

henpecked

calling - Giles from Halifax

Post by henpecked » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:00 pm

1111giles wrote:Hi From Halifax UK.

Each fixing has to be raised by 15mm the rear outer by 20mm to compensate the extra width of the forester seat in relation to the transmission tunnel.
The smart plastic side finisher on the forester seat should then sit just on top and on the edge of the original Brumby sill cover. So the conversion looks neat. If you use 50mm wide strip then you have sufficient scope to span the different seat rail widths..
Regards
Giles.
Giles - I'm not quite following the description, Is there any possabilty of a photo being posted up , even if it is just a "phone" images of the 4 current monting points ?

thanks

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue May 18, 2010 4:29 pm

theconcierge

Post by theconcierge » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 am

Hi all

I am going to bump this one up. I know a lot of people have put wrx seats into their brumby but I am yet to see a photo of the end result. Is anyone able to post up a couple of pictures and web better, a couple of pictures of adaptor plates ( i am pretty sure I don't have the skill to do the job myself )

Thanks guys

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Henpecked, do you have anymore details you can share about your photos above? I honestly can't work out exactly what you've done or what the seats are from ;)

This is a thread dig while looking for an answer for another seat mod thread...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:56 am

making up for Gannon being a dick :D

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”