electronic ignition

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
subyleone

electronic ignition

Post by subyleone » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 am

Hi. have almost completed an EA82 conversion to an L series originally equipped with an EA71. The 82 has an electronic distributor with 2 wires coming out of it. what are these supposed to hook up to? power and ground? or is there a computer or something else i need? cheers

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 am

They are supposed to hook up to the coil. Positive and Negative side.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:57 pm

What colour wires do you have come from the dizzy? Please use main colour and colour of tracer line of each wire. Got a number off the dizzy? and is the coil one to match?

Generally what Matt says is correct. The wires hook up to the coil terminals neg and pos, one to each. Sometimes the insiulation colour of the eye terminal helps match up with other wires terminating same position.

subyleone

Post by subyleone » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:56 am

would that then mean I would also need a 12v coil? The car originally had points so it has a 6V coil with Ballast Resistor.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:26 am

Or 9V coil was with points? The best way to check the coils voltage is when it is actually running in the vehicle it was meant to be as I have read, but yes generally from what I have read electronic ignition do not normally run ballast resistor and coil gets full 12V. Before I knew this I used to replace points dizzies with later model electronic ignition dizzies without ever thinking of changing or upgrading ignition coil, had no ill effect on powerless revving 1300 and 1400 Mazda engnes.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:11 am

thats right, the electronic "points" dizzy does NOT have a ballast resistor,
because it manages the dwell time, ie analogy of "points closed" before they open for the spark.
Thats why the coil always has direrct 12V.
If IGN is on, and engine not rotated, the dizy will switch off the "points"
(switch off coil current) so the coil doesn't burn up.

The mechanical points are dumb, the coil ON time == "points closed" is
just about the whole time.
So if IGN is on, and engine not rotated, coil is still on,
The ballast resistor gets around this by just making the voltage lower to the coil at this time, so it doesn't burn up.

So as you can see the electronic dizy is a huge improvement at the START time, just when you need it too.

Its also why some people get unstuck trying to add on a MSD ignition amplifier, etc to the electronic dizy.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”