Subaru brumby conversion to ej22 HELP!

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
daza

Post by daza » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:03 am

It is a personal preference, but the AWD box has never let me down on anything i'd call "moderate", It has stopped me a couple of times, but it was on seriously steep, loose hill climbs that everyone struggled on.
The big difference is in the on road manners, the AWD is so much nicer on road.
Daza.
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:05 am

Here is the link you asked for. showthread.php?t=12696
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gosurfun

Post by gosurfun » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 am

Please try not to get confused by what is a SOHC and DOHC. Above each cylinder there is no cam = pushrod, one cam = SOHC, or two cams= DOHC. The first letter denotes the number of cams which would be above the cylinder if it was in a vertical alignment, OHC is over head cam, as above each cylinder, not how many cams the motor has on different sets of heads because it is a boxer motor or a V8. How would you rescribe a radial motor with 12 cylinders?

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:02 am

If all you want is a little more power and torque then an EA81 with a carb in good condition, a distributor with good bushes, a decent service including valve clearances and maybe a better flowing exhaust will make it a decent little motor. I'd almost gaurantee the carb on your new car will be cactus and the distributor worn, two things that hugely affect its performance. Some people will pooh pooh the weber conversion, but i'm really happy with mine. I got 8.2l/100km on my last trip with 91 ron, and after having the valves adjusted this week the car has regained alot of torque that it was missing.

The EA81 is super simple, reliable and easy to maintain. An EJ conversion is a fair bit of work and while the results are fantastic, you also start to highlight other problems. The front-wheel drive is pretty average around town behind an EJ and the brakes really don't perform to the same standard as an EJ. Both of which are really difficult to address without a fair bit of effort, time and money. But stick with the EA81 and front wheel drive is fine and the brakes are definitely adequate.

I think most people compare the EJ to an EA in poor condition and i don't think thats quite a fair comparison. I think the best thing about an old car is the fact you can open the hood and everything is visible, simple, easy to get to and easy to understand. Why not keep it that way?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Doing the old thread dig up eh?
gosurfun wrote:How would you rescribe a radial motor with 12 cylinders?
A radial engine... :p

Venom does bring up some great points about the EA engine - simple to maintain and with a bit of work (less than an EJ) it'll be sweet!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Didn't realise this was a dig...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 am

Venom wrote:Didn't realise this was a dig...
She's right mate, I just thought it odd to re-hash the SOHC/DOHC thing since it's been so long since the last post...

Cheers

Bennie

Subarubrumbyfan1991

Post by Subarubrumbyfan1991 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 pm

hey guys, i own a 91 subaru brumby, and i was wondering... some time in the not to distant future i would like to do a engine conversion, aswel as change it to a 5 speed, but i would like too keep its offroad abilities with low range etc, how what set up should i use?

revmax

Post by revmax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 pm

I am curently putting together the pieces to convert my Brumby to EJ20
Bought a wreck Brumby just for pannels n stuff.
Bought a MPFI L series Touring wagon to wreck. from that I will use.
5 speed HiLo, engine crossmember, possibly flywheel and clutch.
The interior also, seats carpet and center console.
Bought a N/A EJ202 that has done 103,000kms with ECU and wiring loom and 5 spped box but I don't think I will be using the 5 speed from this motor, I will make an adaptor plate to take the L series 5 speed HiLo box.
This is soooo much fun
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Subarubrumbyfan1991 wrote:hey guys, i own a 91 subaru brumby, and i was wondering... some time in the not to distant future i would like to do a engine conversion, aswel as change it to a 5 speed, but i would like too keep its offroad abilities with low range etc, how what set up should i use?
That all depends on what you want to get from your brumby. Will you go offroad often, hit the "hard-core" stuff or just cruising around on a bumpy dirt road to see a few sites?

If you're going the hard core route and not driving it on the black top often then I'd look at the L series hi/lo range gearbox. If it's a daily and you'll be doing some soft/moderate offroading then look into a dual range AWD gearbox from a liberty then do the L series low range conversion (search, loads of write ups and links) or find a forester gearbox that has a decent low range from the factory.

You need to work out what you're going to use the brumby for, how much you want to spend and what parts you have available to keep the cost down.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”