Solid axel conversion for brumby

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
JG12gauge

Solid axel conversion for brumby

Post by JG12gauge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 am

Does anyone know if there is such thing as a solid axel conversion for a subaru brumby. I know its probably a little far fetched but I was curious if anyone had ever heard of one before.
Subaru.... Not the prettiest at all but nothing else out there holds 8 people, 4wds like a truck and gets twice the gas mileage as a truck.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 am

I take it you mean putting a non standard axle and differential setup into the rear of a subi

for example a ford 10 bolt diff and all the housing from axle to axle

it could be done but it would take a bit of engineering

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 am

actuallly it doesnt seem that hard to engineer to me.
simply make some brackets axel and custom suspension mount or modify existing mount.
weld??

but my question is WHY:confused:

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am

There's been a few done in the USA. Have a look over on the USMB or, there are threads on here somewhere with links to threads over there...
Utube has some too.
Settlement Creek Racing

JG12gauge

Post by JG12gauge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 am

thanks ill check it out. Ive been wanting to give my brumby buggy an overhaul for a while now but lack the funds.
Subaru.... Not the prettiest at all but nothing else out there holds 8 people, 4wds like a truck and gets twice the gas mileage as a truck.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 pm

I've seen on highly modified axles on Subaru but I don't understand why you would do that, the setup what subaru has now is better than solid axle.. Thats my opinion.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

tex

Post by tex » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Well for a start you would have to rip out the torsion tube and swing arms and replace it with either a coil spring set up or dare I say it leaf springs! If you wanted to get excited why not a commodore IRS with LSD
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

JG12gauge

Post by JG12gauge » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:42 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:I've seen on highly modified axles on Subaru but I don't understand why you would do that, the setup what subaru has now is better than solid axle.. Thats my opinion.
Cheers
AP
The main reason I want it is because im always running over rocks and ripping my CV boots. Is there like a stronger covering for them thats all I really need. I just hate constantly changing boots.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:57 am

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:04 am

Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 am

quite a few people have used old innertubes over the CV boot these are cut into tubes which are slipped over the joint then ziplocked into place so you have an outer rubber cover over the boot

it means you have to either have the shaft out or one joint at least to slip the tube over boot but if you are replacing the boot you have to have the shaft out to some point

never done it myself as I don't go too extreme these days brumby parts are gold plated price wise down here

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Settlement Creek Racing

tex

Post by tex » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm

You used to be able to get leather protectors that would slip over them but apart from Ebay wouldnt have a clue where to find them. Otherwise you might be able to find some of those clamp on ones that wrap around and then just put them on over the top! Used to be a hilux we worked on had the same issue but once a week they'd have one go and that was just driving through the paddocks, The brumbys have those little flaps on the torsion tube to help prevent tearing but mine always end up bent....
+ others.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:Image
AWESOME !! Love to know more about this L :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

JG12gauge

Post by JG12gauge » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 am

Now thats cool. Do those still have the same subaru engine in it? This one here has I believe a chevy 350 in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mc1LGb29g

cockroach

Post by cockroach » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 am

that blue brumby with the ladder bar rear suspension looks damn tough. if you want to protect the outer CV boots you could cut some steel tube in half and weld it to the trailing arm, in front of the CV joint to stop things flying up and hitting it. this is just an idea as im not near my car right now, so i cant check to see where you would weld it to. but if you are going to go all out and change the suspension, you should check out the brumbyrunner project. it has some pretty cool things done to the suspension and i am sure brumbyrunner would be able to give advice on what works

showthread.php?t=4919

masterguitarshreader

Post by masterguitarshreader » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I kinda like th idea of solid axle ony for the fact it would be able to run an air locker if only money grew on trees.
no more 91 l series, no more liberty sedan , 92 l series this time i will do all the mods i wated to do with my last l series, lift , wheels ,kings, roof basket, snrokel

subalex

Post by subalex » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Getting back to reality for a moment and old Subie money... have you thought of or already tried the great old boot protection idea of welding on (or otherwise attaching) some short curved arms that lead back from the rear crossmember and hold some much larger reinforced rubber (from Clarke rubber). These can hang down long enough just in front of the CV boots so they fold under the CV boot and protect it whenever the terrain comes close enough. Rubber against rubber is a whole lot better than rubber against rock.

Try this for pictures... a link can't be made directly so...
http://www.subaclub.com/ go to "tech talk" and "drive shaft care"
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

banger

Post by banger » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:23 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:I've seen on highly modified axles on Subaru but I don't understand why you would do that, the setup what subaru has now is better than solid axle.. Thats my opinion.
Cheers
AP
i beg to differ with that, the amount of times that the lseries has let me down with wheel travel. but in the stock standard vitara on road tires only bout an 1" bigger in diameter i have way less trouble getting up hills in it compared to the suba. if subaru had a car with a live axle in the back, it would be in my garage.
l series 2" lift 27"boots s/s snorkel full roof racks.
past ride 92 lib gen2 fwd wit a 2.5 quad cam conversion custom exhaust and cold air induction.

tex

Post by tex » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:47 am

banger wrote:i beg to differ with that, the amount of times that the lseries has let me down with wheel travel. but in the stock standard vitara on road tires only bout an 1" bigger in diameter i have way less trouble getting up hills in it compared to the suba. if subaru had a car with a live axle in the back, it would be in my garage.
How did it let you down if its because one wheel didn't sit hard enough on the ground I've driven tritons, landBruisers Gutluxs and all sorts of live axel vehicles without LSD's in them all with the same problem. And although we used to have fun with our little suzuki after the lack of torque our biggest problem was wheel spin going up hills, which coincidentally can be the same problem with the subarus (unless you EJ them etc).
+ others.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”