EJ Turbo Water reservoir for EA82T ?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
cockroach

Post by cockroach » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:48 pm

discopotato03 wrote:Hey thats interesting about the Nissan Patrol having a blanking cap , any idea which years/models ? I gather they have the same kneck fitting as the L Series does.
i think they are on the zd30 motors (on the radiator) its been a while since i have looked under the bonnet of a zd30 patrol

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:49 pm

BTW, you asked for photos, here is the top and bottom of a twin turbo one, this one I had a billet top on, with the filler higher than all the return lines, to make it easier to bleed the system. the other photo is the original top they have on them, I was wrong about the turbo return line size, it is 5/8" as the 2 3/8" hoses merge into a tee, then into 1 x 5/8" hose. I put 2 seperate 3/8" barbs on the billet top.

The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:17 am

I don't understant why there would be the ones into that std top plate - other than the recovery bottle one .

I've been trying to think of ways to make a bottom hose thermostat housing conversion , some I read about bolted two top housings together and machined one half for the thermostats flange plate .
One thing I really dislike about EA82's is the steel tube ex the water pump and how high it goes before turning down in the lower hose . Ideally the lower radiator hose barb needs to run the hose uphill to wherever water enters the engine at its lowest point . I think it was stupid to have it so that the nearside belt cover cover could be removed without draining the coolant and removing the lower hose . To do anything worthwhile with the belts etc the radiator and fans have to come out unless you have tiny hands , IMO anyway .
I suppose you could fab a steel pump outlet and thermostat housing base in one and make the top/side bit straight to suit the lower hose .
I have noticed that its pointless trying to gauge an 82's water temp by feeling that steel pipe because hot water flows upwards to its highest point - thats with the engine shut down and the pump not turning . Even so I suppose it would get warm/hot water to a thermostat if it was placed as low down and as close to the pump as possible .

Even if it all worked I'd need the header tank plumbed into the water log or existing thermostat housing , a blanking cap for the radiator , and the rad overflow plumbed into the header to pass any bubbles there .

Lastly often engines with low side thermostats are of a lower temperature , my Skylines is ~ 76 deg where the earlier top thermostat engines tended to use 82+ deg ones .

What temp thermostats do EJ engines use ?

Cheers A .

Just for giggles I must look at the XT6 ER27 WSM , those cars had so many transition bits from the L to the "EJ" production line that maybe there is something to be learnt .

A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 am

I was just brainstorming....

Why not make an extension on top of the thermostat housing to make the thermostat and outlet pipe higher than the turbo?

Would be dead simple to make. A block of alloy, machine it to the right shape, gut the inside, weld in a pipe to come from the turbo, and then use longer bolts and 2 thermostat gaskets and its as good as gold.

EDIT: Just did a quick mock up using paint

Attachments
thermo ext.JPG
thermo ext.JPG (35.87 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 am

discopotato03 wrote: Just for giggles I must look at the XT6 ER27 WSM , those cars had so many transition bits from the L to the "EJ" production line that maybe there is something to be learnt .
Ah you are lucky you said that, as i have a diagram of the ER27 setup here

The pressure cap is on the front of the thermostat.
Attachments
thermo 2.7.JPG
thermo 2.7.JPG (62.23 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:19 pm

...I wonder does the ER27 have a different Water pump and larger 'bottom' hose?

looking at this they might... Image
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:59 pm

I had thought of the housing spacer Gannon but the trouble is that you end up with the water outlet being highter than the top of the radiator .

No I'm afraid all this stems from using manifolds designed for a Vortex and its
possible that the nose and rad sit higher in those than an L series .
I wonder if its possible to raise the rad very much in the old L .

Also did you notice how Fooj use a bleed pipe between the water pumps steel outlet pipe and the thermostat housing on the ER27 , make the things easier to bleed I reckon .

I should look into that Lib rad in L idea again , I don't think removing the lower support section would get the nod from the rally fabricators unless it was not a load bearing member .

Cheers A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 pm

So could you modify/duplicate an ER27 thermostat housing so it will fit on the EA82 manifold, so you can incorporate the pressure cap and make it the higher point

Attachments
thermo modif.JPG
thermo modif.JPG (10.45 KiB) Viewed 2420 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

what about an auxillary EWP like WAIC use to get over your water circulation worries

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 pm

steptoe wrote:what about an auxillary EWP like WAIC use to get over your water circulation worries
I suggested that ;)

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”