EJ Turbo Water reservoir for EA82T ?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
discopotato03

EJ Turbo Water reservoir for EA82T ?

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:33 am

I maybe having probs because my turbo sits higher than std on an EA82T meaning the coolant return line is forming a high point and not thermosiphoning properly .

Really need a reservoir thats higher than the turbo but how to plumb it in ?
The only place that has even half suitably sized water access is the heater hose plumbing I reckon on an EA82 .

Also because the radiator has the cap on it I suppose it would have to be sealed with a higher poundage one or some kind of blanking cap .

Thoughts ?

Cheers A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:19 am

You have a multiskilled workshop guy dont you?

Just get one made up that plumbs inbetween the thermostat outlet and the radiator, whack a radiator cap on it a put a higher pressure cap on your radiator.

This was one of the many jobs i was gonna do to my EA82T before i sold it
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 am

The reason why I was thinking heater hose is because the lil swimming pool could live possibly on the redundant wheel carrier and wouldn't need fabrication to achieve it . Access to the heater hose is just a way to return water to the system from the turbos outlet whilst having a bubble trap above it .
My engine is getting crowded in the turbo/air flow meter area and doesn't need extras to block access to fuel rails thermostats turbo etc .

The basic problem is that the top of the radiator is not very high in relation to the height of the thermostat housing and the turbo being a bit higher than std aggravates things .

Cheers A .

cockroach

Post by cockroach » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:27 pm

i guess you could plumb a reservior it into the heater hose, then use a blocking cap on the radiator (like the ones found on nissan patrol radiators) and use the little overflow tube on the filler neck of the radiator as an air bleed. run a hose from the air bleed on the radiator filler neck back to the reservoir, so all the air bubbles should end up in the reservior.

i find it had to put ideas into words. so if you want me to draw a pic, just ask

tex

Post by tex » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm

What about if you just ran the turbo in parallel with the heater core that makes a quick easy fix with no special parts just more heater hose and a couple of Y's to divert the water. But i'd try and find some y's rather than T's otherwise if using the t's have it running straight though to the turbo and the branch off to the heater!
cockroach wrote:i find it had to put ideas into words. so if you want me to draw a pic, just ask
Ditto so hopefully mine makes sense!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Hey thats interesting about the Nissan Patrol having a blanking cap , any idea which years/models ? I gather they have the same kneck fitting as the L Series does .

All I need is a reservoir thats slightly higher that the turbos outlet water fitting and a return off the reservoir . The idea is the pressure cap releases any bubbles back to the overflow bottle and draws coolant back to the system as it cools down .

A .

tex

Post by tex » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Why don't you just put in somewhere that you can purge the air from, there are a great number of cars out there where parts of the cooling system is higher than the radiator so they just use an air bleed off bolt for when the cooling system gets topped up you expell all the air from there and on a closed system there should be no more air voids!

I am only suggesting these things incase you have over looked them, But It feels similar to preaching to the pope.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:24 pm

If you are pushed for room, what about a small water pump that would force water through the turbo. It would need to be on a timer that would run for a couple of minutes after the engine is shut off
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm having more thoughts about how to package the "reservoir" . It could possibly be a cylindrical tube with the turbos outlet feed higher up that the waters return tube/hose . The idea is to give the bubbles somewhere to go that won't involve pushing water out of the caps overflow and blowing it out the top of the recovery bottle .
Heater hoses aren't really a good place for water/steam bubbles ex the turbo because the bubbles go back into the block/water pump . If the water/steam bubbles could separate in the vertical tube reservoir you could guarantee that water returned to the system and steam bubbles collected under the pressure cap and be vented to the overflow bottle .
You'd just need to ensure that the turbos water entry into this reservoir was a reasonable distance above the water return so that small bubbles went up not down and back into the system .

Must talk to the rally fabricators , they've got the drop on this sort of thing .

Cheers A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:06 pm

Th falcon water bottles have good size, big hose conns and little ones for bubblers off their thermostat housing..... think this has been said before

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 am

Ford part , known as a cracker so to speak .

A .

Less than zero faith in Ford Australia I'm afraid .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:03 am

So, you don't buy used except for protyping . I only ever seen 'em crack after ten years or 300,000km, or more.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi all , does anyone have all over pics of the EJ turbo engines water reservoir/header tank . I'm not exactly sure how they are integrated into the EJ's cooling system because I've only ever had the EA82T/L Series .

I need to know what the water fittings are like under this reservoir .

Cheers , A .

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm

UNDER the header tank, they have one 5/8" hose barb, which connects to a hose coming from the coolant crossover manifold, which of course means that while there is water in the header tank there is water in the block. On top (and all this info is for a TT) they have a 5/16" barb which connects to a hose coming from the top of the RH radiator tank, and a 3/8" barb, which connects to the turbo water return.Then, of course, the filler neck and 5/16" overflow. STD EJ's run a 13psi cap, while STI's run a 16psi cap, and you don't have to buy a STI branded one, standard ones from the dealer just have the yellow sticker and cost much less.
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Morcs

Post by Morcs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Just has one underneath that plumbs into the the return line for heater from memory.
Has three out of the top
one to the top of turbo,
one to the radiator bout half way down a tank
other is just an over flow

My brumby has a ej20t in it i just used a standard res tank this conversion has done over 100 000km

I just use two radiator caps that are the same pressure with overflows plumbed together into the overflow bottle
So many optioins not enough time or money:confused:

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Dont forget the newer EJ turbo'd cars also have a blanking cap (same as a normal one, but round) on the radiator, as they use the same unit as the NA's. they even use the overflow barb, the way it is plumbed is overflow from the header tank, down to a tee piece at the radiator's cap overflow, then into the expansion tank. As far as I know, they are both 13psi caps. (pretty much the same as above)
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Interesting , they've obviously linked all of the engines highest points or air/steam traps to this header tank and I was wondering where the large one linked back into the system .

Tell me do EJ engines have the thermostat in the top or bottom connection to the engine , lots of later engines inc my Skylines have the thermostat on the blocks water inlet rather than the head/s water outlet .

I'll also have to look for a suitable blanking cap for my radiator , will the EJ one fit an L Series filler neck ? LOL should get an old cap and remove the plunger from it .

Thanks again , cheers A .

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:24 am

All EJ thermostats are at the bottom of the engine/inlet before the pump.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 am

on the lhs from memoory. look up at an ej from below and you see the domed housing looking at you as if engine went in upside down says he typing with one finger

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:36 am

Well we can mark that one down as another detail update of the EJ over the EA . Having the thermostat up top is a PITA because when its closed it forms an air/steam bubble trap .

Such is life cheers A .

Wonders if can put thermostat down low .

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”