Bigger Alternator?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Matt
General Member

Bigger Alternator?

Post by Matt » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:08 pm

Does anyone know what higher amp Alternators will fit in the original position on a MY/Brumby? Just looking at setting up dual batteries and will need a decent alternator to charge it. I have already done a search with little info.
Thanks
Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:21 pm

I looked into this a while ago.... there was a few options about... One of which was to get the alternator re-wound internally. This was going to be pricey and i was warned that the alternator was going to have to spin faster in order to charge. Basically wasn;t going to charge unless i was over around 2000 rpm. I didn't want that.

I ended up installing a 2nd alternator. I didn't have air con... and belive it or not... a second alternator can easily be retrofitted to the air con bracket and off the belt pully for it. An adjustable bracket, to be able to tension the belt, was the only hard thing about it.

Pic: http://community.webshots.com/photo/374 ... 5049CnZBOW

This created more than enough power.... i was very happy with it.
Since converting to an ej22 engine the alternator is a little more powerfull but i still would love to go back with a dual set up.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:27 pm

I recall seeing on either USMB or NASIOC some info on fitting either a GM or Ford Alt. It was up around the 200 Amp rating. It was a pretty big sucker, but if your aircon compressor is mounted 'inside' I believe it will still fit. They had a bit of stuffing around to get a pulley to fit but did end up with a good solution.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:17 pm

Does an EJ alternator bolt on ?

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Pete you don't have a link to tell what sort of altenator will fit up. I figure there will be something because they are all similiar sizes just different current ratings.
Stinky i do have Air con and plan on keeping it due to some days up this end of the country i gets warm :D (Townsville)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 am

From memory the chev model thay talked about wasn't to common over here, but I think there were some nissan utes and 4wd's around the same area that had similar alternator mountings.

Not much help I know but it's a start.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

dirty skirt

Post by dirty skirt » Sat May 06, 2006 10:28 am

g'day i was looking thru everything on the sight cause i wanted a bigger alternator and someone said that a nissan 4x4 alternator fit .Look under electrical,wiring and its under duel batteries on the second page 8)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat May 06, 2006 2:51 pm

I believe that the XT6 had a 90A alternator, (the l series uses a 60A doesnt it?)

I also have a part number for a 90A altenator that came with the rally spec RX turbo's. but i dont think that it was avaliable to the general public.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

You don't have the part number easily accessible do you, Suparoo? It might be worth punching in to a computer and seeing whether it comes up? And you don't know what model Nissan anyone? Has anyone got in pics of one in there car?
"Bianca"

"Claudia"

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”