T'sunami Wagon

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 04, 2011 4:24 pm

TOONGA wrote:that exhaust will work really well, that giant resonator really stops noise, it will be really quiet even if you dont have the final muffler on :)

TOONGA
Really? the resonator will have to go;)
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 04, 2011 4:25 pm

TOONGA wrote:that exhaust will work really well, that giant resonator really stops noise, it will be really quiet even if you dont have the final muffler on :)

TOONGA
Really? the resonator will have to go:twisted:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 04, 2011 7:36 pm

You'll get sick of the noise. I have had enough of my EA81 bark for some years just waiting to fit EA82T with whisper quiet exhaust - coz the induction roar is terrific :twisted:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 05, 2011 12:32 am

steptoe wrote:You'll get sick of the noise. I have had enough of my EA81 bark for some years just waiting to fit EA82T with whisper quiet exhaust - coz the induction roar is terrific :twisted:
Yeah but this is because you're "coming of age" Jonno!

Mark, I didn't know about the XT6 crossmember. I only find this interesting as I have no plans of dropping an EJ gearbox into my L ;)

And the top of those door cards - have they been replaced? I should post a pic of mine as the rears are crazed, the front driver's is no longer...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 05, 2011 12:40 am

I was thinking that as Mark has a few years on me, my advice may be headed, or at least considered. Think we are both hoons at heart :-P .

Mark, I withdraw my advice as you are not dealing with the rudimentary, agricultural NVH of an MY/Brumby/BRAT/MV1800
My induction roar is all I want anyone to hear as I sneak up on them, then .......SNORT

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu May 05, 2011 1:18 am

El_Freddo wrote:Yeah but this is because you're "coming of age" Jonno!

Mark, I didn't know about the XT6 crossmember. I only find this interesting as I have no plans of dropping an EJ gearbox into my L ;)

And the top of those door cards - have they been replaced? I should post a pic of mine as the rears are crazed, the front driver's is no longer...

Cheers

Bennie
Hey Bennie, the tops are my originals and the donor door cards were is such bad shape that I transfered the covers to my wagons door cards.
and yes...post 'em up:)
cheers

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu May 05, 2011 1:20 am

steptoe wrote:I was thinking that as Mark has a few years on me, my advice may be headed, or at least considered. Think we are both hoons at heart :-P .

Mark, I withdraw my advice as you are not dealing with the rudimentary, agricultural NVH of an MY/Brumby/BRAT/MV1800
My induction roar is all I want anyone to hear as I sneak up on them, then .......SNORT
haha, maybe a less efficient resonator should be looked at, but not too efficient:)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 05, 2011 7:59 pm

T'subaru wrote:Hey Bennie, the tops are my originals and the donor door cards were is such bad shape that I transfered the covers to my wagons door cards.
cheers
No worries, I'll grab some pics tomorrow during daylight hours - plus its a tad bit chilly out there atm... 1.1 degrees C. Think I'll finish the oil change when I get the photos ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:51 am

T'subaru wrote:Hey Bennie, the tops are my originals and the donor door cards were is such bad shape that I transfered the covers to my wagons door cards.
cheers
Sorry for the delay!

Driver's door - this one has seen the most elbow action in the 447xxxkm's of its life:

And the rear right hand passenger's door for comparison - this has seen little elbow action compared to the driver's door:

^ they were taken about 3 weeks ago when we used to get snow! I say used to as it was 12 degrees C today!!

Hope this gives you a picture of how lucky you are with your door cards! And when I say elbow action I mean window down with elbow resting on window sill/hanging out the window with arm on window sill ;)

Cheers

Bennie

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:45 am

Today I finished up my radiator install. I chose a gen 1 lib/legacy turbo rad to keep the ej20g cool. The core is 76 mm taller than the stock rad so I cut the lower support corners and bolted 1/8" steel brackets to the lower support. I had to cut the return of the upper support to stand the rad up plum and installed captive nuts ( rivit nuts ) to mount modified ej upper brackets. Ill call this mod finished once I can get my hands on a mig, I want to weld the lower brackets to the support and weld strongbacks to the lower corners.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:49 am

El_Freddo wrote:Sorry for the delay!

Driver's door - this one has seen the most elbow action in the 447xxxkm's of its life:

And the rear right hand passenger's door for comparison - this has seen little elbow action compared to the driver's door:

^ they were taken about 3 weeks ago when we used to get snow! I say used to as it was 12 degrees C today!!

Hope this gives you a picture of how lucky you are with your door cards! And when I say elbow action I mean window down with elbow resting on window sill/hanging out the window with arm on window sill ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Wow
I should have sent you my take offs, they only had 329xxx kms :)
Cheers B

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 am

Nice work, Also a very simple solution instead of hacking at the lower support, but since the lower mounts are closer to the engine, will fans fit?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 am

Looks the goods. All sits closer to engine than original radiator? so...you fit fans in front?

Now, metric or non metric rivnuts?

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Nice work, Also a very simple solution instead of hacking at the lower support, but since the lower mounts are closer to the engine, will fans fit?
thanks guyph, Ill be installing my fans in front of the rad along with my waic rad. Ive already pulled my ac condenser and I think ill have to loose my hood latch and go with hood pins to fit everything.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:30 pm

steptoe wrote:Looks the goods. All sits closer to engine than original radiator? so...you fit fans in front?

Now, metric or non metric rivnuts?
yessir, everything in front of the new rad, and the rivit nuts are sae 1/4 x 20. All my mandrels are sae but
metric mandrels and riv nuts are available.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:21 am

Its been a while since ive posted but I did manage to make some headway during the last couple of months. I started by identifying the plugs and tie ins on my Aussie supplied harness. After that it was pretty easy to determine what wiring stays and what I could eliminate from my wagon. I should also mention that this being my first conversion I was really intimidated by the wiring. A few days, several hours and a few fsms later and it really wasnt that bad.

I also tried installing a short shifted L series modified shifter but with my lift I had too many console and boot issues. I ended up installing a short shifted non modified gen 1 Legacy shifter. No console clearance issues but ill have to source another boot, possibly from a Legacy. At rsr Pauls recommendation I added 25 mm below the pivot point on this shifter, im really pleased with it. I have 75mm's travel at the knob across the pattern:)
cheers

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:22 am

Did the Aussie loom supplier account for the fact your car is LHD??!!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:48 am

Looking good there Sir

Just get your wifey to stitch some blue vinyl into the shape of a boot cover and away you go.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:09 am

steptoe wrote:Did the Aussie loom supplier account for the fact your car is LHD??!!
hehe, no issues between drives..its all good

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:11 am

TOONGA wrote:Looking good there Sir

Just get your wifey to stitch some blue vinyl into the shape of a boot cover and away you go.

TOONGA
Thanks J.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”