MY power steering setup

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
subybrumby

MY power steering setup

Post by subybrumby » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi everyone. Giles in England has asked me to source a complete power steering setup for his brumby if anyone can help him out. We thought we might have had one here in Toowoomba but the guy wants to put it in another car.

If anyone has a complete unit available, and is prepared to sell it, we'll help organise its trip to England. We got a brumby front cut there so this should be a walk in the park. The air con in his brumby by the way is pulling 6 degrees and overall the project has been a success. He now has the only air con brumby in England as far as we know. Leave any info on the forum thanx, he's on here.,
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:18 pm

you wuss Giles ! There have become some options haven't there different racks and pumps etc? Or do you wanna go original where the power steer pump sits out way forward (like a rather long way)_on RHS needs holes in head at front tapped, some holes were not there in non PS heads, sometimes a LH head has been fitted to the right and counters this problem. Wonder if an EA82 pump and bracket will fit up to EA81 block.?

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi,

I've got a rack, pump, pump bracket, lines, main pulley. Only thing that's missing is the extended thermostat housing. $30 off ebay i think. The rack must have a leak, i'm not sure but since its quite old it should lol. So may need a rebuilt and new rack ends, tie rod ends to be as new.

I'm not sure about the pump as it was removed off a non running car.
Pm me and make an offer if you like.
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:28 am

OK OK the story behind the interest in the PAS is that I would like to teach my Daughter Eleanor to drive, She would have no chance with the std set up.
I find it great for my Biceps at slow speed, a really good exercise for my Trials riding :mrgreen:

Guyph 01 I have pm'd you re your set up. Thanks for your interest.

Trev would you (or could anyone) be prepared to do or supervise the rebuild of the rack and orgainise the new bits needed so that I get all the correct bits to go?
I will struggle with the extended thermo housing here I think.

Appreciate your help Guys !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 am

Extended thermostat housing on MY power steering? Is it taller or a longer neck ? If anyone has answer, pics or description to assist I most likely have one amongst my junk and it would be the ony part of MY power steer I would not have thrown away not knowing it was different from my 3/84 sedan I wrecked a few years back

thirty bucks eh ?? scrap value would be peanuts !

tears down to shed for a quick squiz

olddog642

thermost housing

Post by olddog642 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi there,
I think the first one is the one to use with power steering
Hylton:twisted:
Attachments
WO55.jpg
WO55.jpg (9.96 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
WO56.jpg
WO56.jpg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I have got a longneck thermostat housing in my hands - all 152grams of it. really good nick too

Yep looks more like the first one there Hylton - good work. Measured it with an old rule has a total height of just on four inches, converts to about 100mm

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:26 pm

this is the one you would use with a power steering setup

it is the same as the 2 I pulled off 83 sports wagons at Bunbury wreckers

one got turfed due to corrosion the other found its way onto the RSR 555 brumby/brat

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Are you sure? Neither of them look long enough to me.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm

I have a spare EA81 powersteering pump you can have for a 6 pack, im not sure if it leaks or not?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:32 pm

I can see an export enterprise here :)

Careful Gannon, doin' a swap with Giles it is likely to be warm beer however you wanna look at it :) :)

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:41 pm

I'll let Giles handle this from here. I saw a site in the US that has a bloke making the bracket for the EA82 pump to fit on the EA81 motor.

However, if you want the rack overhauled (and I had mine done recently and so far all good) I'm happy to assist. Giles uses 'Pack and Send' they were very good with the front cut. The guy who overhauled my rack is in Sydney and quite reasonable cost too.

Trevor
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:42 am

phantomD wrote:Are you sure? Neither of them look long enough to me.
I agree.. the one on my Brumby (the complete kit that Jules got me) has a thermostat much longer than any of the pics here. The first pic from Hylton and Jules is just a standard EA81 without powersteering and Hylton's 2nd pic is for a EA82 carby model.

You can still buy them from most aftermarket auto parts stores. Just make sure you get a salesperson that knows exactly what you're after (you may even have to explain that there is a difference).

I have a spare one at the shop but unable to take picture until the 21st :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks for your comments todate Guys.
Jonno - the warm beer helps keep us warm as we sit it out up on't moors in't middlat M62 in't freezin cold wi' only a cardboard box to protect tus from't owlin' sleet an snow. (A cardboard box?? You lucky sod......):mrgreen:

Agree with Trevor that the rack should have an overhaul before export, also the pump??
It's vital that I can get all the correct parts together, and of course the correct thermo housing. Would be happy to take a spare pump too.
Just waiting for some info from Guyph and we could be up and running.
Just how easy is it to send the kit across OZ to Sydney? and cost? Big distances .....
Trevor - could you contact the guy in Sydney for a cost to refurb a rack for me?
Sounding good so far...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Paul, the longer of the two is the odd one I have, cannot be certain it was on the power steering engine, but i run the shorter ones on two non PS EA81's and standard top hose fits ???

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:52 pm

If Guyph has all the stuff for you Giles? it might pay to have a shop over here in the West recon it for you?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:56 pm

steptoe wrote:Paul, the longer of the two is the odd one I have, cannot be certain it was on the power steering engine, but i run the shorter ones on two non PS EA81's and standard top hose fits ???
no probs.. wish I was at home to measure it. I know that the top hose is the same for non and p/s models.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 pm

No probs Paul. The guy who did my overhaul is on Ebay and it is an exchange. He didn't have an exchange for me so I sent mine down Via TNT and he overhauled mine and sent it back. But of course, it makes sense to have it done in WA and send from there. I think the pump is just a matter of some O rings and as long as the tolerances on the gearing are ok, is that right?? Cheers Trevor.

Trevor

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 am

I agree Trevor, that if a reliable recon outfit can be found then YES save the journey and do it there, I think I remember seeing on pack and send's website that they operate in WA too not sure where though.
Not sure just how close all you WA guys are to one another or if you meet up.
Just in case I have to gather parts in one spot etc.
Once I have got info from Guyph about the bulk of the kit and established where / who to get the thermo housing from were nearly there.
Would anyone be able to help out checking the kit prior to shipping - so as to ensure its 'good to go' ? I will gladly cover any costs incurred if anyone can or will help me.
As previously mentioned pack and send will deal with ALL packing and documentation required so no worries there. (they did this in Toowomba)

Thanks Guy's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:12 am

Sry mate, Had a read at the thread 2day and didn't get any pm from you Giles. Like I said I got everything except the thermostat housing thing, And the rack needs a rebuilt.

P/s Pump
P/s lines
Pump bracket + some bolts
Main Pulley + bolt
Used belt
P/s Rack but with missing ends on one side I think
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”