RSR L.Series Offroader

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I didn't know you could press the PT4wd gearsets off the pinion shaft and press them back onto the AWD tube - I say tube as from my understanding the lower gearset is on some sort of hollow shaft so that the AWD pinion shaft can move independently of the lower gearset.

I've got all the parts, 3 gearboxes, the 4.11 pinion and ring diff gearset to be put together. What I don't have is the shed space or the knowledge to setup all the preloads - don't know what that's all about so I'm looking into one of Gee's mates to do it for me. I keep meaning to call him but get caught up in my day :( Plus I don't know what its going to cost yet, hence the need for the call. I would like to put new bearings in and a set of seals will be source (also been meaning to contact FROG on this) to go in. I've got a set of 14 inch scorpion rims on their way so standard offset will be back with 27 inch rubber. Just need this gearbox so I can run on the 27s all the time and have good gearing ;) That's the plan!

Cheers

Bennie
I understand what you say about the 'tube' and I'm hoping (crossing everything) that because both the AWD and PT boxes are L.Series models and they both have the 'tube' then they should just swap over. I will be swapping just the gears over, so I'm 99% sure all will work. I have not built this type (late model casing) of hybrid box before but have rebuilt many Subaru boxes over the years, so time will tell and this is why I'm posting this info up, in the event someone else wishes to do the same conversion?? I will be keeping the 3.7 ratio (hides from the flaming) as I'm looking to keep the RPM to a minimum and also using the PLSD from the 86 RX Turbo. If it turns out to be too much stress on the box then I'll look at different ratios but doing this can create more trouble.. like you say 'preloading' I have all the equipment and tools for this but it's much more work than I want to take on for my Offroader.

I hope you do your gearbox soon :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:42 am

Nice progress! Extra credit for fluffing about with gearbox bits. Hopefully it will last!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Subafury wrote:Nice progress! Extra credit for fluffing about with gearbox bits. Hopefully it will last!
Thx Matt.. Me 2 :???:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:37 pm

Update: Today was put all the bits of the gearbox back together..

EA82 vs EJ25 Drop Down Gears

Needed some machining to the Dual Range Selector Hub as per what AP did on his box.

Gearbox halfway :) and yes I was doing the happy dance Jules

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:38 pm

Now to put the goodies in it :mrgreen: Install one RXII Centre Diff Lock.. Pics showing open and Locked positions

RH shot of the completed box.. showing the Centre Diff Lock Lever

LH shot of the completed box.. showing the Vacuum Module for the Centre Diff Lock

Now is just finding some more time to put the engine and box together and then into the car :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:08 am

Hehe, Great work Paul:) Hopefully we can both finish around the same time:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 am

looking good there, it will be a great box on the road and off the road.

did you stay with the 4.1 gearing as you were saying ?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Guyph.. you better pull your finger out then cause I'm in overdrive to get this done this time home :mrgreen:

Jules.. I did use the Outback gearset but unfortunately there was no way I could use the 4.1 or 3.9 ratio front diff and this was because of the pinion shaft for the Centre Diff :( maybe next box will have diiferent ratios ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:40 pm

I fitted the new clutch today...

Tomorrow it's wash and high pressure clean the box ready to put the engine and box together :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Awesome Paul!

Glad you posted those detailed pics! I was looking over my AWD L gearbox worried that I'd have the wool pulled over my eyes with a single range rear housing on a dual range front casings - I've literally come from the shed after removing the top plate on the box to expose the same thing your centre diff shows (to me). :D

Very stoked that its all good. I too have to get my finger pulled out. But want to go with new bearings as well so I don't have to pull it apart again!

Can't wait to see it all come together - To be selfish I wish that it was my gearbox going in and together first! Also wish I had the equipment to press new bearings in too (and the know how with diff lash and pre load adjustment). Not much to ask for there!

Looking good mate!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:26 am

Thanks Bennie :) That's not selfish at all :rolleyes: hahaha

I too wished I could have fitted a complete new bearing kit but due to my time deadline (SA Trip) I'm losing days almost as fast as braincells at the moment :(

I was (prior to starting this task) worried that the rear extension casing didn't have the Dual Range rods going through it but the penny dropped after what you said and reading AP's tread (about 1 million times) that the EJ box doesn't need the rear rods cause it's already AWD.. DOH !!

After the assembly of the box, I went through all the gears and also selected high/low range plus the centre diff lock.. all works perfectly and can't wait to have it in the car. I'll run some Castrol VMX-80 gear oil on the first 500kms but after that I'll run the smurf blood. I'm hoping that will save the day :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 am

Looking sweet there Paul ! You have been a busy bee I see :mrgreen:

So when is the test day run in the car then ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:23 am

1111giles wrote:Looking sweet there Paul ! You have been a busy bee I see :mrgreen:

So when is the test day run in the car then ?
Thanks Giles.. yes way too busy, not even time to go over PMs.. thank god for late nights and Canadian Club :mrgreen:

Test run will be right after installation date which I'm hoping is within 2 weeks. I'm 99% sure I have all the necessary equipment to put the engine/box/wiring in the car, then play with brakes/wheels/suspension next time home. I don't have much time left before the trip and I'd love to have testing and licensing sorted out before I leave too :???:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:55 am

RSR 555 wrote:Thanks :)
Jules.. I did use the Outback gearset but unfortunately there was no way I could use the 4.1 or 3.9 ratio front diff and this was because of the pinion shaft for the Centre Diff :( maybe next box will have diiferent ratios ;)
As I understand it they are 3.9 ratioed as is the dual range one I sold you :)

I will find out about availability today (Memes first visit to the wrecker) make sure you answer your mobile phone will you :)

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:31 am

TOONGA wrote:As I understand it they are 3.9 ratioed as is the dual range one I sold you :)

I will find out about availability today (Memes first visit to the wrecker) make sure you answer your mobile phone will you :)

TOONGA
That gearbox you sold me is still complete (and leaking oil all over my wrkshop floor) because it's 4 bolt housing and I used the 3.9 ratio from the RXII gearbox.

I have my mobile on and charged :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 am

RSR 555 wrote:That gearbox you sold me is still complete (and leaking oil all over my wrkshop floor) :cool:
I will bring some degreaser the next time Im in town :)

TOONGA

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 am

when you start working on the car let me know and i'll come lend a hand :)
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:55 am

Alex wrote:when you start working on the car let me know and i'll come lend a hand :)
Thx bro but you'll be at work when I'm playing but you're welcome to drop in after work :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Thx bro but you'll be at work when I'm playing but you're welcome to drop in after work :)
im thinking about being naughty this week and taking a day off. Got soo much stuff to sort out with cars!

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

hahaha.. no probs Alex.. anytime this week. I might start tomoz pulling the old one out??

Here's today's update (after checking out a prime vehicle for Jules)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”