RSR L.Series Offroader

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
RSR 555
Elder Member

RSR L.Series Offroader

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi all,

I've been thinking of starting a post just so I can show others what's happening and maybe get some pointers along the way :)

Well.. how do I start this :???: I've been planning and putting aside lots of bits and pieces to build myself an awesome offroad vehicle I can take fishing and camping. It's going to have..

An engine is a EJ20 Turbo from a 99 WRX. It's pretty much stock with the standard ECU and wiring, thanks Dave (Subarino) for the cut down. I've just fitted new head gaskets and had the heads fully serviced. The engine had done 130,000kms when I brought the car.

The gearbox will be a EA82 AWD with Centre Diff Lock and will have the EJ 8 Bolt front housing so no need for the adaptor plate. I'm planning on using the EA so that all the crossmembers, gear linkages, tailshaft, etc.. all line up as standard.

The Diff is a RX Turbo plated rear with ratios to match the gear box.

The brakes are thanks to Jeff and his Crossbred Conversion Kit. They will be WRX front calipers and RS turbo rears.

The wheels are 15" and are off an import Impreza hatch and have 205/70 tyres on them. I'm hoping they will fit??

Suspension is mainly stock but with a 2" lift kit. I'm hoping to buy new KYB struts and some King srings.

The exterior is really clean and has only 76,000kms on the clock. It has never seen the dirt or sand. The only mod so far is the Bull Bar (thanks Andrew) and later will be the spare wheel carrier on the back.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:24 pm

good to see you finally took some pictures :)

will be good to see it finished and digging up the sand

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:33 pm

aaahz at last he has put it up!!!
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks Jules and Dave.. I'm working on the box today because I received my early xmas present yesterday :) Thanks Mark. This will become my control for the Centre Diff Lock :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:37 pm

yep Mark is good at that if I had a camera that worked for more than 2 seconds I would take a picture of my last delivery from the US of A

I got this set of ratchet spanners http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenc ... ?part=9308 but in metric for around 50 dollars Australian delivered very happy

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Sick Paul!

The only two things I could suggest to "change" with your build:

1) Go a touring wagon - I can see why you'd want to use this unit though.

2) Build the gearbox with a better ratio on the diff. Can be done, I've got a 4.11 ring and pinion shaft for a locking centre diff AWD L series gearbox. Cut and shut. From what I can gather you take two EJ pinion shafts, one being the 4.11 pinion gear, cut the 4.11 to add to the other shaft. Weld, strengthen, x-ray for cracks if you want, then build into the gearbox. Also look at the L series NA low range ;)

I wish I had some body building and spray painting skills/tools - I too have a little project that would move faster if I knew how to do these things myself...

All the best with it, I can't wait to see what you've got when its done - stoked that you've gone down the L series route :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Thats a nice looking wagon Paul:cool:
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:52 am

76K's, that thing is way too nice but we're gonna need to find a good flat beach.......Sand drags lol.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 am

d_generate wrote:76K's, that thing is way too nice but we're gonna need to find a good flat beach.......Sand drags lol.
now that I would pull the really good video camera out for :)

TOONGA

clarkey

Post by clarkey » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm

good to see you are finally doing something with that l series paul! haha....

and i have a mate that does pant jobs cheap...... just let me know......
nuthin beats a subbi

Previous rides: 1998 rx liberty sedan, 2007 mitsu 380 and now a 2005 foz, lifted with bigger and black wheels ( Got rolled :( ) and now a 100 series land cruiser.

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:52 pm

clarkey wrote:good to see you are finally doing something with that l series paul! haha....

ehhehehe male or female pant job like to see that
Hylton:twisted:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:00 pm

You probably already know this one - engine stabiliser rod: Use a liberty unit with the bracket that mounts to the top of the gearbox. Simple, neat and factory looking.

And you probably know about the hard to get to sensors/purge control valves under the intake that can be moved to the strut tower for easier access. Gee passed this one on to me - I haven't done it but down the track it might be on the cards...

When are we going to see some build pics rather than "just parts" :p

I'm jealous that I've got to collect the coin to get my project off the ground. The way it looks it will still be sitting there this time next year :cry:

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:31 am

TOONGA wrote:good to see you finally took some pictures

will be good to see it finished and digging up the sand

TOONGA
Yep.. I can't wait to see it going too :)
D3V1L wrote:aaahz at last he has put it up!!!
Yeah thanks Dave :p
TOONGA wrote:yep Mark is good at that if I had a camera that worked for more than 2 seconds I would take a picture of my last delivery from the US of A

I got this set of ratchet spanners http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenc ... ?part=9308 but in metric for around 50 dollars Australian delivered very happy

TOONGA
He's a legend and I owe him big time.
El_Freddo wrote:Sick Paul!

The only two things I could suggest to "change" with your build:

1) Go a touring wagon - I can see why you'd want to use this unit though.

2) Build the gearbox with a better ratio on the diff. Can be done, I've got a 4.11 ring and pinion shaft for a locking centre diff AWD L series gearbox. Cut and shut. From what I can gather you take two EJ pinion shafts, one being the 4.11 pinion gear, cut the 4.11 to add to the other shaft. Weld, strengthen, x-ray for cracks if you want, then build into the gearbox. Also look at the L series NA low range

I wish I had some body building and spray painting skills/tools - I too have a little project that would move faster if I knew how to do these things myself...

All the best with it, I can't wait to see what you've got when its done - stoked that you've gone down the L series route

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie :) firstly I like your idea with regards to the 4.11 ratios, I might look into that but as for the low range I'll have to leave it single range for now as I can't make the box both low range and have centre diff lock with the parts I have maybe one day I'll be able to get one from the States. As for the Touring Wagon.. If I could find one with low kms like this I would.
T'subaru wrote:Thats a nice looking wagon Paul
Cheers my mate :)
d_generate wrote:76K's, that thing is way too nice but we're gonna need to find a good flat beach.......Sand drags lol.
hahaha.. yeah Tom. I'm just hoping to get to the top of that hill at Two Rocks :p
clarkey wrote:good to see you are finally doing something with that l series paul! haha....

Cheers Mike but I'm happy with the white :)
olddog642 wrote:ehhehehe male or female pant job like to see that
Hylton:twisted:
Me too :D
El_Freddo wrote:You probably already know this one - engine stabiliser rod: Use a liberty unit with the bracket that mounts to the top of the gearbox. Simple, neat and factory looking.

And you probably know about the hard to get to sensors/purge control valves under the intake that can be moved to the strut tower for easier access. Gee passed this one on to me - I haven't done it but down the track it might be on the cards...

When are we going to see some build pics rather than "just parts"

I'm jealous that I've got to collect the coin to get my project off the ground. The way it looks it will still be sitting there this time next year

Cheers

Bennie
Like this? showthread.php?t=18272 haha.. thanks bud

More pics as the build is underway.. get Glen's car finished then it's full steam ahead.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

clarkey

Post by clarkey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:43 am

haha, nah, saw someone else say something about a paint job......

and it is a nice example of a l series paul! good luck with it! i want another subie offroader! or just a subie in general!

Missed comming on this site, allways something to make me laugh about on here!

Cheers Mike.
nuthin beats a subbi

Previous rides: 1998 rx liberty sedan, 2007 mitsu 380 and now a 2005 foz, lifted with bigger and black wheels ( Got rolled :( ) and now a 100 series land cruiser.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:12 pm

RSR 555 wrote: I like your idea with regards to the 4.11 ratios, I might look into that but as for the low range I'll have to leave it single range for now as I can't make the box both low range and have centre diff lock with the parts I have maybe one day I'll be able to get one from the States.
You should be able to build a dual range locking centre diff AWD box from an EJ AWD box, you just need to swap the pinion shaft to add the locking centre to the EJ AWD gearsets, this will allow you to then throw the L low range in too. It'd be a sweet setup with L low and turbo - so long as you go easy on the boost in low range!

Just a thought as you're going to split the box anyway... Speak to Gee about it - or Disco as he built up a dual range locking centre AWD box from a single range L awd box, he'll be able to shed more light on how to go about it ;)

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:54 am

El_Freddo wrote:You should be able to build a dual range locking centre diff AWD box from an EJ AWD box, you just need to swap the pinion shaft to add the locking centre to the EJ AWD gearsets, this will allow you to then throw the L low range in too. It'd be a sweet setup with L low and turbo - so long as you go easy on the boost in low range!

Just a thought as you're going to split the box anyway... Speak to Gee about it - or Disco as he built up a dual range locking centre AWD box from a single range L awd box, he'll be able to shed more light on how to go about it ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Cheers Bennie.. I will contact Gee/Disco but just for your info.. what I found was where the diff lock shaft goes inside the box there is no provisions in the EJ box.. so I thought I'll use the rear extensions from the EA box.. but then there was no provisions for the dual range rods??? I can see how to make an EJ single range with diff lock but no dual range :(

I'll let you know how it goes with Gee or Disco

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Cheers Bennie.. I will contact Gee/Disco but just for your info.. what I found was where the diff lock shaft goes inside the box there is no provisions in the EJ box.. so I thought I'll use the rear extensions from the EA box.. but then there was no provisions for the dual range rods??? I can see how to make an EJ single range with diff lock but no dual range :(
Hehehe...

If I've read you right - and I think I have - You're saying that the extension housing on the EJ gearbox won't fit the locking centre diff? And the locking centre diff doesn't have the rod for the dual range?

From what I've done with my EJ conversion, to use the L series gearbox I swapped ONLY the front half casings that split down the middle. The L series extension housing out the back was used as well. This is what you'll do with the L series AWD gearbox internals, just swap the casings to suit the EJ stud pattern (advantage is stock EJ clutch too). If going with the dual range you'll have to mix and match the 1st-4th gear sets + the dual range gearing on the input shaft. The EA pinion shaft should fit the EJ gear sets without an issue.

As for the rods to do the selecting of the dual range ratio, I think the EA AWD used a solid rod from the dual range selector lever to the gear lever. The L AWD I've got in the shed does not have any rods passing through the rear extension housing, it only has the shaft and arm out the side (driver's side) for the locking of the centre diff.

I think the gearbox you have has a lot of potential that could be achieved in the first gearbox build rather than having to do another one later on - that's pretty much the angle I'm coming from.

My plan is L series low range, EJ dual range casings, locking centre diff, 4.11 diff ratio, 4.11 speedo gear from a foz (I think, still sussing this one out) running either foz size wheels that I'm yet to work out the diametre of or stick with the 27's - hopefully the foz is very close to the 27 inch tyre.

So now that's out of the bag, I just need to get the gearbox built as I want it done properly + I won't have the room when I move tomorrow...

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Cheers Bennie.. I understand what you've said and I'll look at it better when I get home in 3 weeks. I'm using a Foz d/r box as it has the 8 bolt housing like my EJ20T. I too was hoping to use the 4.11 because of the large wheels. I'm hoping the power output wont be too much for the box, I'm not planning on racing it.. I have the 22B for that :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Don't let 8bolt/4bolt restrict your decisions on which housing to use - a 4bolt box bolts up to an 8bolt engine and an 8bolt box bolts up to a 4bolt engine. Minor stud mods required in some situations - ie I'm running an 8bolt gearbox in my RS, bolted up to the original 4bolt engine and required an extra stud mounted for the bottom of the starter motor. Easy stuff tho.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 am

Cheers Andrew but the whole 4 bolt or 8 bolt is no issue.. I'm just using what's in the shop and that it's 4.11

I really wish I was at home now so I could play again :(

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”