EA82 radiator into Brumby pics

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Another option is to braze one set of top and bottom rad frames, with their mounting pins, onto the other radiator. That's how I got an MY rad into my L wagon.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:43 am

it's what Ive seen, radiator matches engine, got the bits to play with at no expense, rad shops near me do not know what $15 is ! Bit hard to braze MY stuff to an L radiator - the plastic may not hold too well

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:08 am

Looks good:)
Well done step by step picture guide
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 am

:) steptoe by steptoe guide :)

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Jeebers , I would never put an L Series Radiator in anything including an L Series unless it was the rare made up twin core ones - given a choice that is .

I would take advantage of the MYs copper tanks and fit a good fine gilled core to it and preferably a single long tubed core .
As has been said its childishly easy for any decent radiator mob to fit whatever inlets and outlets you like .
The customisation is only done and paid for once because copper tanks don't wear out and don't crack if made properly . You just keep having new cores sweated into the existing/modified tanks and away ya go .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Never unnerstood all those L Series overheat issues that have read in here. My serviced radiator with manual switch fans and no AC condensor in the way has been just great in up to 40 deg C days

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:21 am

Well given the age of these cars and the effects of engine wear I'm not surprised cooling can be an issue .

Issues I've had probably stem from the fact that my engine is not of std configuration and things like EGR and 02 probe are disfunctional .
The probe because the std computer goes crazy with it plugged in and the EGR because I could never get it to work for some reason .
EGR is a way of reducing combustion temps at light load running with lean emissions "friendly" mixtures . I also suspect that EGR works better with the high exhaust manifold pressure std cars have and mine doesn't .

Plus the 3 ECU plug system isn't sophisticated enough to self learn and correct for small differences like I assume to 4 plug one can to a small degree .
I always thought these 82T engines could have used an oil cooler but Zoob obviously didn't want to be bothered even though one of their earlier engines used them . The factory rally cars would have for sure .

Mine cools well enough with the twin core and the mechanical fan only , the std AC elec one went over the shoulder because I got sick and tired of skinning knuckels removing it to get at other things . If I was to do anything I would fit one in front of the rad on the drivers side because elec fans always push more air than they can pull .
L's are a problem because the nose line is a bit low meaning the space in which to fit an adequate radiator height wise is limited . It also limits the diameter of elec fan its possible to fit and the wide flat belt covers don't exactly give the post core air an easy escape path . Have a look at how much of the front of the radiator the bumper bar shrouds .
Also a turbo L's engine bay with AC n' PS is pretty full compared to a carby job with armstrong steering and window down AC .

LOL I sometimes wonder how "nude" an L engine bay would look with a twin carb twin port EA81 done properly . I think I'd have to have the turbo 81/82 style PS though .
Easier air path and possibly early std 82T performance .

A .

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”