Free wheeling hubs on l series

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
masterguitarshreader

Free wheeling hubs on l series

Post by masterguitarshreader » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am

has any one thought of or put free wheeling hubs on the rear of an l series? so you can have the diff welded up without the need to drop in and out the cv shaft just flick it to lock when going offroad and back to free when you get back on tarmac would be an awsome time saver.
no more 91 l series, no more liberty sedan , 92 l series this time i will do all the mods i wated to do with my last l series, lift , wheels ,kings, roof basket, snrokel

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 am

thats a really good idea, i wonder how hard it would be to to.
1990 L series wagon Ej22

i didn't realize this image was so large :-O

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 am

you would need to find a free wheeling hub that has a splined centre so it could take a shaft and/or spline adaptor, then as most free wheeling hubs are 6 stud modifiy your front hubs to 6 stud.

it would work but would take some artistic machining / engineering :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

2coupedup

Post by 2coupedup » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 am

hmmm... how about locking hubs all round so you can choose front or rear??? lol, would be good because i want to make mine good for allround, fun and also serious driving...
I LIKE THEM PRETTY YET TOUGH...LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:39 am

free wheeling hubs itself have nothing to do with stud patterns jules. its just the little piece on the end.

having rebuilt the hubs on both my big 4x4s a few times, unless u have plenty of $$$ to spend making up custom bits, its not gonna work. the CV stub would have to be longer, youd need to remove the splines from the subaru hub, make up a drive flange for the subaru hub that matches the subaru CV, and that can have the mechanism bolted yup to it. most of it would be doable, except the cv would have to be at least a couple of inches longer,

the little drive flange sits on the end of the cv stub on free wheeling hubs, subarus have a big nut on the end holding everything together, thats your first problem. but a longer cv stub would help correct this. then youd have to make a drive flange that clears the nut, and then soemhow make the hub assembly bolt up to slide over the flange. ill see if i have any pics of my hubs apart so ppl can see how they work

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 am

D3V1L wrote:free wheeling hubs itself have nothing to do with stud patterns jules. its just the little piece on the end.
davo
Yes very true but using the whole hub would put disc brakes on the back of older subarus and then you could make a modified shaft to suit the different inner and outer cv's :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

masterguitarshreader

Mini spool

Post by masterguitarshreader » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:24 pm

another idea my freind gave me was to use a mini spool maybe use a hilux rear diff we will nut out something that works soon maybe
no more 91 l series, no more liberty sedan , 92 l series this time i will do all the mods i wated to do with my last l series, lift , wheels ,kings, roof basket, snrokel

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm

masterguitarshreader wrote:another idea my freind gave me was to use a mini spool maybe use a hilux rear diff we will nut out something that works soon maybe
How would this work? You'd still effectively have a welded rear end with the mini spool... Nothing gained!

The free wheeling hubs would have to be made into a new assembly that would fit an L or MY without any problems - means time and money as there would be fabrication of parts etc...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”