L Series EA to EJ

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
MTB92

L Series EA to EJ

Post by MTB92 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:57 pm

I decided a while ago that i wanted to one of the legendary ej22 conversions to my L series, so over the course of the year i have been gathering parts to do it :). i figured the thing to do is start my own thread, mainly to ask questions but also to show how its all getting on.

i have now made a start on cutting out the wiring from the lib, so far it is going alright. just trying to take it slowly so i can figure it all out. which leads me to my first question... between the front seats, on the storage compartment, there is a little switch that says 'manual'. what does that do? (its an auto, my guess is it 'locks' the gear you are in. although i noticed no change driving around with it on or off.)

and a couple of pics of the cars. :D

[ATTACH]3026[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3027[/ATTACH]

Robbie
Attachments
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg (120.89 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
GEDC0021--2.jpg
GEDC0021--2.jpg (121 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 pm

So is your L series wired up and running the EJ in that top pic or are you still in the throws of the conversion?

I'm pretty sure you can cut out that manual switch as you're running a manual transmission and won't be needing that switch...

But with that said, I've not done a wiring cut with the auto loom... that's my next task unless I get another loom for a project in the next year or two.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:52 pm

nup, L series still has the EA. i haven't touched that yet.

my aim was to cut the wiring to minimum, then tidy up the EJ with new belts, water pump, etc and then swap the motors over. The plan is to have the L series off the road for the least time possible.

i know i dont need it, the car runs fine with it disconnected, i just wondered what it does. :p

when you did your wiring looms, did the wire colours in the diagrams match the colours in the car?

Robbie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm

What year is your libery? Looks like a Gen1.

Check out EJ into L series "how to" write up and pay attention to ben's diagrams - in there is what you need to cut out etc - these are the diagrams that I used to get my conversion sorted... It did take me a while to get my head around it but it's going and I'm loving it!

Once you've got your loom cut down, do a test run with the engine still in the liberty, this way you'll know that it's been done correctly. If something is erratic or not running the way it was before you cut the wiring down, investigate. If it runs properly you should be sweet ;)

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:31 pm

yep, 1992 gen 1. 4 plug ecu. its actually older than the L series, but you would never pick it!

i have alrady been following it, cheers ;). i have done a fair bit of searching and found a few very usefull threads. i am trying to cut down as much as i can in the car, so i can start it. i actually have to shift it to work on it anyway...

It has all made sense so far, just it would be easier if the wiring colours matched :p

Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:36 pm

The best thing to do would be to remove the wiring and cut it down from there... It gives you loads of room and if you label everything you'll be sorted ;)

I don't remember having issues with wire colours. I think my wiring was from a '91. I could dig you up the ECU code if you wanted to compare - but that wouldn't be done until tomorrow - it's pissing down out there atm!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey Robbie.. good to see you started the thread.

Just pull the wiring out complete from the donor car and let Dave work on it for you. You'll thank me for sure. Dave will make the remaining wires (about 6 from memory) which you'll be able to connect yourself without any hassles.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 am

Cheers RSR.

i think i will give it a go myself for a few reasons. partly i just want to do it myself and say that i did it, by the sound of it Dave is busy at the moment and wont be able to do it for a while and i have access to another identical wiring harness :), so if i mess the whole thing up i can get that one cut down instead. so i figured i might as well try! :D

Doing the conversion is as much about learning as getting a more capable car, i am sure i will learn more cutting the wiring even if it all goes wrong.

but i think i will take your advise Bennie and take the harness out and then cut it down.

Cheers Robbie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:44 pm

MTB92 wrote: i just want to do it myself and say that i did it, by the sound of it Dave is busy at the moment
This is why I did mine, in all honesty Dave was more than willing to help, but he was on the other side of the continent too. I did a floor test of my wiring which went well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjKbPrZDLM]

I also used this to test out the head gaskets to make sure they were good. Yep they were, but the water pump turned out to be a dud after I'd completed the conversion - only started leaking a little bit after 130km of driving so out it came again.

As much as the wiring is an important job, so it the preventative maintenance on the engine - cam belt, water pump and oil seals are the items to do before you drop that sick puppy into your L series!

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote: As much as the wiring is an important job, so it the preventative maintenance on the engine - cam belt, water pump and oil seals are the items to do before you drop that sick puppy into your L series!
I have a timing belt kit, water pump and hose, oil seal, rocker cover gasket and washers sitting on the floor of my room ready to put in :cool:. i definitely want to make sure what i am putting in is in good condition.

i sure hope mine goes off that easy when i get everything out!!

Robbie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 pm

MTB92 wrote:i sure hope mine goes off that easy when i get everything out!!
The EJ ran better on the floor than it did in Ruby Scoo initially, but that's because I got excited and tried to fire her up without connecting the vacuum/air hose to the IAC valve! All sorted though.

If you take you're time and be methodical in your work you'll be sorted ;)

And if you want to see how I did the EJ part of the work on Ruby Scoo check out the video on my page - "Build a subi and have some fun!" ;)

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:38 pm

MTB92 wrote:Cheers RSR.

i think i will give it a go myself for a few reasons. partly i just want to do it myself and say that i did it, by the sound of it Dave is busy at the moment and wont be able to do it for a while and i have access to another identical wiring harness :), so if i mess the whole thing up i can get that one cut down instead. so i figured i might as well try! :D

Doing the conversion is as much about learning as getting a more capable car, i am sure i will learn more cutting the wiring even if it all goes wrong.

but i think i will take your advise Bennie and take the harness out and then cut it down.

Cheers Robbie
Oh for sure Robbie.. go for it. Its a great learning experience. I'm sure if you take your time you'll be able to do it without making any mistakes.

When I've done them myself, I nailed the harness to a board..
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Nice video :)

its all making sense so far, just taking my time to make sure it is right. finding time to do much on it at this time of year is also a challenge.

That looks like a good idea Paul. even just pushing the lib out of the shed and laying it on the floor would probably be a good way of doing it.

I also made sure i had the electric windows up before i started, i forgot about that on the last car i pulled apart ;)

and as far as 2nd hand cars go, this lib has been a bit of a let down, i have only found 60c under the seats and carpets :p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:55 pm

MTB92 wrote:and as far as 2nd hand cars go, this lib has been a bit of a let down, i have only found 60c under the seats and carpets :p
Tight arsed grandma probably the previous owner... :D

Cheers

Bennie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm

well, i went out to the powerlines with a hilux and a navara yesterday and the little L series came home quite sick. :(
they reckoned i wouldn't be able to get my car up one of the big rutted out walls... the good news, i did subaru proud and got up the hill...the bad, my front right wheel was bent out at the front and in at the top.

[ATTACH]3047[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3048[/ATTACH]

I crawled home, but lost drive to the front wheels on the way, i haven't looked yet but i suspect i broke a CV joint from the extra angle.

i suspect a bent shock, without looking to closely.

might put work on the EJ back a bit. the wiring harness is starting to thin out quite a bit now, and even better the lib still runs :D

also, i got a sports video camera which i had strapped to the roo bar 4wding, so if i figure out how i might put a video up of the hill that did the damage. there is a pretty sickening crack when it happened...
Attachments
P1000020 mod.jpg
P1000020 mod.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
mod.jpg
mod.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Pm me if you needs parts:) Jules what my business name again?? JPM???
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:32 pm

cheers mate, i thought you might be on to that :p
i still have your little shovel thing from 2 rocks anyway. ;)
i will take it all apart this after noon and see what the damage is.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 pm

KPM Guyph ... and it looks like the strut has collapsed and/or your radius rod has bent as well.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Nice work Robbie.. take some pics once you get that wheel off :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Shouldn't be hard to fix once you've got the parts!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”