You power steering converters....

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

You power steering converters....

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

I may have got the wrong idea of power steering and why people convert from manual.

Thought collective 'you' had reasons such as:

easier in the carpark -softies :)
easier in the scrub
also have girly co drivers ie wife, gf, daughter, soft mates
was a challenge, you had the bits
boast value

I never thought it could be for a more comfortable refreshing long distance drive.

For years now , I could go on a manual steer drive of 300 to 600 km drive and really feel it in the neck - even without cold air blowing in on me. Could also just feel almost 'off' from the drive - usually a bit quicker than signposted. I have blamed crook seats - upholsterers who just fluff up the foam and not worry about dodgy spring structure below. Or just the lounge chairy stuff. Two comfy drives have been in Vortex seats, firm and supportive as opposed to lounge chair sway about

Now, thinking back to a few drives I have had, at least with PS of 300km return, been more a walk in the park than stiff neck and headache material.

Just wondering if the secret is the PS, and maybe the shove the EA82T delivers instead of the EA81 through the gears , revving the tits off it sort of stuff. Hate to think the neck and headaches come from the accelerator foot.

Can anybody vouch for a physical improvement after converting a known stiff neck sort of car to PS??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

steptoe wrote:Can anybody vouch for a physical improvement after converting a known stiff neck sort of car to PS??
Ah there was a question! :p

Can't say that I did after converting Sunnie the Brumby - but it so far has been the subaru with THE heaviest steering I've experienced! This car now feels like a sports car to drive compared to what it used to be - you can easily throw it in and out of corners without worrying about the effort needed.

Plus this conversion was the "requirement" of the owner - I convinced her to get one but it needed "all the luxuries" of her old car, still working on a few of them but got most in there so all is well thus far!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

tambox

Post by tambox » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Old people, sorry mature people, appreciate the power steering, my father, in his 80's, found he could drive the Brumby, after the conversion.

But he did not have a stiff neck.:rolleyes:

Maybe a psycho, sorry physio, may be able to help, Jonno:)
L serious, still.

Post by 60766244 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:35 pm

I love my PS. It's super good in the day to day grinding traffic. Love being able to throw it around corners one handed. :cool:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:55 am

I run into an ditch after driving exact the same car that had power steering and jumped in other car while cornering and I went in the ditch - why? no power steering.. oopsy! (as under estimated the weight of the steering!) thanks goodness no damage occurred.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 am

I can't remember if I got neck or head aches from driving a car without PS. It's been that long.

I do prefer the PS on the beach, makes it a lot easier to hold the car where you want it to go.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 pm

PS completely transforms the feel of an L series, add a momo steering wheel off a legacy GT and it feels way more modern.
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:40 am

If there is one thing I love about the the MY it is the P/S.
I drive it and ridges/holes/gutters are easily negotiate with no jerking of the steering wheel.
Hop in the L series and the steering wheel can jerk out of your hands, twist wrists etc.
Oh well..in the L series at least I dont need to go to the Gym as much.. what with the added exercise and all.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Ya bunch of girls, I put a power steering rack in my old turbo L wagon without a pump for more feel and less turns lock to lock.
I did notice that when I upgraded to 14" wheels that the steering weight increased due to the smaller offset/wider track

But I'll admit that I have put power steering in my RX.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference it makes in my wagon. I didn't notice when I was driving but there was something wrong with the steering rack making it incredibly heavy, so much so that mum couldn't drive it and dad complained when he went to move the car out of the driveway :rolleyes: When I removed the steering rack turning it by hand it made a click click click sound...pretty shagged I think.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Gannon wrote:Ya bunch of girls, I put a power steering rack in my old turbo L wagon without a pump for more feel and less turns lock to lock.
I did notice that when I upgraded to 14" wheels that the steering weight increased due to the smaller offset/wider track

But I'll admit that I have put power steering in my RX.
LOL.. love the fine print :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”