EFI ea82T into carboy ea82 wags? how hard and whats involved?

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Mitchhsj

EFI ea82T into carboy ea82 wags? how hard and whats involved?

Post by Mitchhsj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm

hi guys i want to put the turbo motor in my wagon.. hopefully ill have a complete rx do use for the swap..do i need to swap K frame? how hard is it to wire? any advice would be much appreciated. cheers mitch..
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 am

Engine crossmember needs to be swapped, as its carboy, loom swap and integrate the rear wagon wiring. Turbo radiator, rear disk's and speedo cluster for the "turbo" light.
It's easy if you have a complete car to swap from, crossmembers and rear disks are not easy to get. The rear disk's are better, officially required if you are going to change the rego details, otherwise drums will do. In Vic you can convert an EFI L to turbo, with just and engine number change, but to convert a carb to turbo, it needs an engineers cert.
L serious, still.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

SEARCH function may reveal some have done it and never again unless it also involved an EJ. The looms may all be plug and play up there under the dash. Just think how basic a carby motor is as a goer then look at the extras of the turbo EA82 most involves efi stuff hooked up.
I have planned to go same EA82T in where what was born as carby EA81 but fueling by LPG - something that is in the intending recipient and the donor - simpler than a carby engine swap :D . Yet to do it so can't talk. As Greg says above with eng xmem

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Great thanks for that guys. Can't wait to have it in playing around with a turbo again. Was going for a ej20t swap but I just don't have the money :(

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:53 am

only difference in the cross memeber is there is a dint in the turbo one so the turbo headers don't hit the cross member, i have done this engine into 84 wagon, i just removed the factory heat shield off the turbo headers and added packing under driver side engine mount to lift the engine about 5mm to get some clearance.

in n.s.w i didn't need the disc brakes on the back as it's front wheel drive and they calculate the brakes by weight not power so turbo engines are generaly not much heavier..

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 pm

great mate thanks. thats good because at the same time were putting that motor into a brumby but only have the motor and loom, but i have a l wagon in the yard for wreaking so we were going to take the K frame out of that and i was wondering how much modifying need to be done..:)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 pm

the Brumby won't take the L engine crossmember too easy though. I cut a scallop out of my MY crossmember, welded it all up and all and been through 100,000km of road testing so far waiting to at least drop any old EA82 in ....then maybe a turbo :)

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:19 pm

so would you think using the l series k frame or keep the brumby one would be easier ??? to run the ea82t

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 am

K frame looks like the big letter k found under Astra's n things. Our subies have a much more basic plain old cross member :) I say keep to the Brumby engine xmem - that is what I am doing - think you got some skills Mitchhsj to cut out from the rhs, top side front section and make up a dished reinforcement and weld it all up to clear the turbo pipe.
I may have stuffd up as I fittd up EA82 exhaust fromm the turbo to an EA81, marked the xmem and modded from there - got funny feeling EA82 and EA81 have different centres of exhaust ports but all the rest of the front exhaust from NA EA82 is interchangeable.

The L series xmem is wider than Brumby

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 pm

steptoe wrote:The L series xmem is wider than Brumby
Yep.. use either an EA81T xmem or modify original
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 pm

ok yea we are going to use the factory brumby K frame, hopefully have that motor in, in the next few weeks. its a new motor with a spider manifold. and we have all the parts to do the conversion, were going to run all l series stuff, cluster loom and gearbox/diff.. i will be picking up my new little doner on the weekend for the mighty wagon, its a rx turbo,, in amazing condition with new block and heads, auto with cold aircon..it will be such a shame to rip apart a perfectly good working car but its for the better. might as well pinch the rear disc while I'm there.. i will be putting the loom in and cluster,, will my manuel bolt straight up the the auto motor are they the same crank to bolt a manuel flywheel onto? another question for you, with the loom can i split the motor loom and just run what i need for the motor and keep all my factory L lights and AC? will there be any issues ? cheers guys

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 pm

picked up the rx today.. looks amazing, going to be so hard to pull apart a perfectly beautiful little carn never seen a L in such good nick... loving it

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 am

So, you not wanna lose us - you are going to convert an L carby to EA82T as well as a Brumby to EA82T ??

A manual EA82 flywheel will bolt to an auto EA82 crank, will need a manual starter motor to match the manual flywheel where ever you put the EA82T - L wagon or MY Brumby (MV Brumby actually)
Can we see some pics of the RX before you pull it apart please Mitch?
An auto behind an EA82T in an L Sedan does not make an RX - a GLTA maybe like mine.
Is it three peed auto or 4 speed AWD auto the E4AT as Subaru called it in the sales lit ???
Did I ask for pics :) ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:44 pm

If it's a 4 speed auto I've heard these are much better than the 3 speed and pretty bloody rare for the L series! I've only heard/seen them in the grey import wagons - they're a proper AWD job from what I understand too.

Shame you're pulling apart a perfectly good RX/GLTA... worse still is you know you're doing it :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 pm

letting you know the conversion went well, although it took longer that i first expected. about 4 days and long nights.. but I'm loving it now :))))

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Pretty keen to see some pics so I can compare the vacuum lines to mine? :-)

I'm also on the hunt for a turbo cross member ...

Cheers,

Wrxpc

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 pm

yes the auto is a 4spd. it has the little button on the side of the Tbar for 4wd and a awd button up next to the cluster for full time.. i used the 5spd and flywheel off my carby ea82, it went straight on.. with the Brumby, we have the motor in and a L 5spd in it to.. it all bolted up.. with 3mm on each side of the motor between the chassis rails as its got a 3inch body lift in it. we used the Brumby K frame and just made up some 5mm spacers from ally flat bar and the turbo cross pipe clears.. my l series has the 3 plug and the Brumby has a 4 plug with a digital cluster.. it becoming rather hard to instal.. hopefully have it running this weekend.. after pulling the loom apart and getting rid off everything we don't need and just having the basics.. i will sort some pics for tomorrow.. :) happy days

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 pm

the box is sitting in my shed if anyone wants it,, come and get it..

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 am

Yes please ill take it.
Ill pm you later.
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 pm

finally got around to these photos of my wagon and my mates brumby I'm doing.. and a few build pics and my shed...hope you enjoy.. loving the wagon with the new motor... :)
Attachments
IMG_2125.jpg
IMG_2125.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
IMG_2126.jpg
IMG_2126.jpg (112.98 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
IMG_2127.jpg
IMG_2127.jpg (106.7 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
IMG_2128.jpg
IMG_2128.jpg (118.24 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2129.jpg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 3320 times