more kms to the tank

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

more kms to the tank

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 pm

I've been doing a little research in order to gain better fuel economy, resulting in some surprising gains according to my computer modelling - much the same as that used for the fuel consumption comparison stickers on new cars - just a little more basic ;) . Theirs based on input, mine - er , a little more experimental in controlled circumstances :oops: don't try this at home sort of thing, nudge, nudge ;) , ;)

The first tweak was based on my EA81 regularly doing 540 km to 70l - bigger tank than normal coz it's gas :) ) , the achievement came out as an extra 93 km for 65 litres. The second run of the software to get a direct comparison for the 70 litre average resulted in 655km - a gain of 115km over the normal useage !!

The whole concept is based on coasting - making use of Angel Gear found somewhere between fifth and neutral :D

I have found wiki refers to it as being popular amongst truck drivers in order to stretch the fuel - does not involve switching ignition off, but to slip transmission into neutral to retain some safety such as power steering and ignition sourced electricals.

Other motoring websites make mention of it - all in the efforts to save fuel.

To coast in neutral is illegal as far as I can make out as it renders vehicle unable to accelerate from trouble. Funny though, as when trouble strikes its ugly head i am usually going for the brakes.

On a licence upgrade ( or downgrade it may have been socially ) my examiner made comment that I should have down shifted into second when approaching an intersection requiring me to stop. Was told not to coast. My reason was due to the nice crunch I often got downshifting to 2nd, and I wasn't gonna try for 1st !!

A whole 20% extra distance for just a little more wear and tear on clutch cable.
Travel times are not the same.......

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:57 pm

When I drive the boss or his brother(mature age apprentice auto sparky) around at work they tend to rip the car out of gear even though I'm driving just to coast upto a stop, lights, intersection or whatever.

It might save fuel but it gives me the shits as I don't feel as in control while coasting. If I were the one doing it, it might be different but when a passenger f***s around with your driving it shit's me off. When I drive I usually engine brake most of the time and downshift instead of riding the brakes.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 pm

I try to coast also time the lights so I dont have to stop but I also use the gears to slow down.

I dont think its very safe for a passenger to touch any of the driver controls...I would hate that too :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 pm

NachaLuva wrote: I dont think its very safe for a passenger to touch any of the driver controls...I would hate that too :(
Please tell this to my mother!
That and telling me what I'm doing wrong, just because I don't drive like her.
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am

NachaLuva wrote:I try to coast also time the lights so I dont have to stop
HA! Try doing that in this stupid city where they bugger around with the sequencing every couple of days. Traffic could be flowing semi nicely through the major north-south arterials during rush our for a day or two, only for the lights control center to decide they like everyone to be gridlocked and give the less important roads more green time....off topic off topic :neutral:

I only go down one big hill a day, usually just coast down in 4th. Used to go down it in 3rd and not have to touch the brakes, stayed dead on speed limit until one day at the bottom I saw a thick cloud of oil smoke puffed onto the car behind me :oops: As for lights I tend not to suddenly speed up because a gap opens up only to have to hit the brakes when the light goes red, not only is it tiring but also annoying for everyone behind you and can cause a mini traffic jam (think butterfly flapping it's wings yadda yadda ;))
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 am

My computer modelling shows that there are many opportunities on seemingly flat surfaces that have an ever so slight drop in altitude - the car will just roll along quite some way under inertia/ kinetic energy ?. Further modelling indicates it is even possible to need a lane change to pass an old Diesel Landcruiser with a direct injection sticker on the back, an A4 1.8T Audi P plater coz he is havin' a drink BUT may have screwed up , up hill down dale where a point to point camera installed with 60 to 65 k crawl up hil and momentarily saw 95 in the 80 - law of averages may have caught up with me in my software neding some alterations.

Another 'run' comparing a Festiva on LPG using $11 worth of LP for a fixed run, my EA82T came up at $12.65 for 144km (15 litres) , the Festy had to do 160km to reach the er, virtual destination. The Festy was not set to coast - an unfair comparison
A passenger trying to select nuetral or park while driving along is worse when they are pissed and an unknown quantity - causing untold damage if they got to R, let alone P!! I'd like to think the last cakehole that tried that is still walking home in the no moon cross country at 3am in minus2 C

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:08 pm

What the point - when you're driving an automatic you're coasting down, not downshifting before the lights...

Ive always put it out of gear when going down hill - theres an long 6 km downhill drive out in Gippsland that i regularly just cruise downhill without being in gear - saves on fuel tho - it does make a difference. Ive always coast down not being in gear (not good in automatics as well).
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”