LPG conversion

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Eshel

LPG conversion

Post by Eshel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi everyone.
Can somebody direct me to a LPG conversion for ea 82/81 thread. From some reason it doesn't come up on search.
Cheers.

tony

Post by tony » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:06 am

why bother?
the l is gutless enough without trying to run lpg.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 am

timmo

Post by timmo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Nice input there, I cant see where he asked for an opinion
tony wrote:why bother?
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Eshel

Post by Eshel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks Steptoe.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Try milking someones LPG tank with a siphon and garbage bin and get it back into your tank :D :D :D

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm

LPG actually has more energy than petrol, even 98RON. The trouble is the fuel delivery system. Petrol carbies are way more complicated & more efficient than the primitive LPG mixers & petrol EFI is way more refined than carbies. As more R&D is done on LPG injection, the technology will improve & I have no doubt will surpass petrol performance. It just hasnt gotten there yet. It also burns cleaner & is better for the environment :mrgreen:
steptoe wrote:Try milking someones LPG tank with a siphon and garbage bin and get it back into your tank :D :D :D
Lol :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 am

Yeah? Think the old 80/20 thing applied to the comparison ....oh....????.... um...cough* cough* ...25 years ago...learnt that litre for litre , LPG V's leaded super grade only had 80% the energy petrol had, and the reason why you could expect to use approx 20 - 25% more volume to do same distance with same power demands.

It had a much higher RON of ~109 ,suspected lower today - yet running 10 - 12 psi boost on my EA82T and monitoring my knock sensor - takes bloody hot day and a fair load up hills to even suggest it sees a ping - something todays wetrol won't do. LPG is a dry fuel so generally keeps engine oil cleaner looking but contains nitrous oxides that can deplete the lead or is it tin? from the bearing shells. Despite hotter running, engines generally last longer. Have seen a few commercial vehicles running heavier end of loads most of their working lives don't do so well.

In more recent decade, some developments have been achieving same or better power figures on vapour injction and liquid injection - unsure about the consumption figures.

Yet to have a fuel pump poo itself on me - fuel delivery is via the pressure in the bottle :) . Err...recently felt that pressure drop to an all time low and had some help to push 300metres to gas up on Christmas Eve :(

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 pm

A lot of Subaru motors are nicer to drive on LPG compared to petrol, especially the early EFI motors, as Subaru hadn't quite got it right.
LPG has a lot of advantages, I have 3 "L's" on LPG, very happy, all running good LPG vapour systems.
Then you can get into the pre-heating of LPG to get it to be much more efficient as LPG is harder to ignite/burns more slowly than petrol, but thats another story.

Just got to remember to pack the BBQ bottle hey Jonno:D
L serious, still.

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:33 am

When Mudking91 had his r31 he was running on dedicated gas which meant he could advance the timing massively. It is suggested that he could go as far as 40 degrees BTDC

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Old school LPG tuning says no more than total advance of 28 DBTDC for sixes and eghts at least. 40 sounds like a beer too many somewhere....

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:20 pm

steptoe wrote:Old school LPG tuning says no more than total advance of 28 DBTDC for sixes and eghts at least. 40 sounds like a beer too many somewhere....
Not sure what he had it at but it wasn't much more than standard.
The 40 came from someone who had thoroughly tested the RB30 with LPG and said 40 was as far as he thought was safe for this engine, though to still be carefull.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:59 pm

LPG on vehicles, usually depends on how many kms you travel or plan to travel. In 1978 I had a work mate that put it on his HQ Holden. Met up with him 20 years later and he still had it running and had driven 220,000 kms on lpg.

So I then had 4 cars on Dual fuel including V8 Fairlane, V8 Torana, Peugeot 505. Then I had two Ford Falcons on dedicated from the factory LPG.

You really cant compare the efficiency of dedicated LPG to dual fuel. Dedicated got 950 kms to a 88 litre LPG tank- for a 6 cylinder. The ute version 750 kms for a 92 litre due to its smaller wheels.

But on dual fuel if you work on 50% cost savings you are about right. More consumption, less cost etc. It is about 50%.

If oyu are going to keep the car for a few years work out your outlay and kms and you might be well in front.

With my Peugeot, a 2 litre fuel injected engine and auto I travelled 240,000 kms commuting from the country to the city daily. Saved heaps, nearly enough for a cheap new car. Sold the car to a mate that had a 505 also and he was going to transfer the gas system (a one day job) but never did. 8 years later he still hadnt done it. He commuted from Wallan to Melbourne daily (140kms) meaning he'd done about the same as I'd done 240,000 kms. so really he forfeited a new car in 8 years travel.

So make up your mind with kms planned and outlay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:32 am

Price of LPG is on the rise in WA which I still can't understand why? but I guess it's more people are using it now, so there is more demand and now the government needs more taxes. I have the injected gas on my V8 Landcruiser and it's great but when they refine the liquid gas injection, then I'll be trying that with an engine rebuilt/designed for dedicated LPG :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”