83 Hatchback

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Nubrified

83 Hatchback

Post by Nubrified » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 am

Good Evening Folks, I have recently acquired an 83 Hatchback(AWD/4speed manual). The engine/tranny are shot, frame is in decent shape. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for what kind of drive train I could throw in her to make an insane sleeper. I was thinking going along the WRX STI way of things. Let me know what ya think,
Thanks

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Yes chucking a WRX driveline in is quite common, easy enough to do and very well documented throughout the web. Transforms the car.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:16 pm

DO IT!

But be warned, it's not as straight forward as it seems - to me the hardest part is modifying the wiring loom - this is usually what stalls a conversion, or frustrates the owner to the point of selling it on.

Make sure you throw up a build thread with LOADS of pics!

Welcome to the forum ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Nubrified

Post by Nubrified » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks all for the replies, will most likely begin starting the project in April. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again!

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:22 pm

How's it going, did you start yet?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 am

He might have started with the wiring loom and still in there. He's had two comments of each extreme, so hard to believe either way maybe. I just pulled my EA82T wiring loom out yesterday. Was thinking "Bennie" at least needs a pat on the back! I made a quick decision and decided there was nothing ECU related in the loom under drivers front guard beyond where it dives into the bay so gave it the chop - only to discover a shielded wire in the mix - oh, ok....shielded wire is for ?? I think I had already tagged the coil wires at that end ?? Glad I did not toss the savaged end :oops:

And under the dash - cripes !! Chop, chop, hack...make any labels IDing important things real big before removing maybe ??

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi and Welcome Nubrified :)

Depends what your plans/use for the car is going to be? So many options available. Let us know what you want to do with this car after its converted.. i.e. Off roading, drag racing, street car, etc
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”