EA82 - advance cams one tooth ??

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

EA82 - advance cams one tooth ??

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:51 pm

I was tempted to try the hot up tip on the EA82M today when I did the belts, but did not let curiosity get the better of me. Someone else may the guinea pig on this one. Jay ?

Does anyone have experience with advancing the cams of an EA82 by one tooth of each timing belt in order for performance gain ?

I seem to recall one tooth out on a belt is not good for performance, maybe same for both belts?

Thinking Disco may have discussed this. As soon as a head has some meat shaved off the timing belts start to show on the marks as a little retarded - halfway across a tooth in my case today, which would be about a quarter of what you'd get with an intentional toof out. So maybe with shved heads and one tooth advanced really only getting a 3/4 of a tooth advance ?

Jay put the idea in my head from one of his machine shop gurus, and RSR is likely to have done it.....

Wondering what gains, what downfalls. Will it suit Tear Arse Tommy drivers, daily drivers, Tarmac Warriors or off road ?

Turbo or NA ?

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:03 pm

C'mon Jonno give it a go, you know you want too;)
I will give it a go myself soon - when I get the radiator out for trial fit of custom rad:twisted:

But dont wait for me to report back in a hurry!

J.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:28 pm

squeak, squeak !

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Is that you squeaking or me Jonno. Might need some hog fat to quieten that squeak.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 am

Not me, not pulling the covers off again. Hog fat would be detrimental to the timing belts according to stern warning that came with them. If you get coolant, oil or any contamination on thm, don't wipe or wash them, they will be stuffed, Do not return them for credit as they will fail for the next person - they can't be resold. Buy new belts !

Point

Post by Point » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:46 am

I know it's not an EA, but I have done this on my EJ22. It is an EJ22 long motor out of a '92 Lib, put in my '98 Forrie with all of the Forrie manifold and ECU etc. Was a bit gutless down low, so I advanced the cams a tooth. Much nicer to drive now.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:49 am

I dredged up an old post on usmb and it does not sound like it worked for them - one tooth anyway

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:09 am

Hog fat would be detrimental to the timing belts according to stern warning that came with them. If you get coolant, oil or any contamination on thm, don't wipe or wash them, they will be stuffed, Do not return them for credit as they will fail for the next person - they can't be resold. Buy new belts !
I know Jonno, my belt kit came with the same warning on a double sided piece of paper. Yay, we shop at the same place in the states - best buddies ay :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:06 am

:p , commonality might be our budgetary constraints. Double sided almost half an A4 ? PCI guys ?

Coxy added to the USMB post on timing belts about old slack timing belts lose low end torque and allow engine to rev a little higher - finding that now I have new belts on two engines and I did not check or reset initial timing :(

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 am

Double sided almost half an A4 ? PCI guys ?
Yes.
finding that now I have new belts on two engines and I did not check or reset initial timing
Thats a bit "slack" of you:rolleyes:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

So Jonno, effetely you want to move the crank 1 tooth backwards.. I'm going with fail !! If you're after extra power, then I'd look at dual cams, so you can adjust inlet and exhaust timings at different rpms.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Yeah, read so much about people stuffing up belt installs and being one toof out, crap performance. And to add to the mix, every bit shaved off a belt driven cam head, you sort of rtard the timing, so maybe shave the bejesus outta the head and then advance a tooth - then it will go like the clappers !!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

If you're going to run LPG then raise that compression right up and you will need to adjust the cams but what a rocket it will be :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Not raising compression, not adjusting the cams - using the EA82T cam, twin port heads (mpfi) and she goes really well and great with a 300kg trailer on the back - notice it a lot less then the tired old twin carbed EA81 - so much so found self looking back to make sure it was still attached ! Oh, and new or reco hydraulic lifters versus solids on my EA81 - bliss !!

EJ it and it'd be dangerous :p

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm

steptoe wrote:so maybe shave the bejesus outta the head and then advance a tooth - then it will go like the clappers !!
steptoe wrote:Not raising compression
Shaving the heads will raise compression yes?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”