The definitive(?) Weber conversion thread!

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Yeah, he could have kept it to himself, and those who add $25 to his paypal account !

"and the car gets up to 100 and wants to keep going where the old carb would start to run out of breath"

er what gear is this in ?

Now all you need to scrounge up is a Y pipe of an EA82. I got my 4 speed up to 110 in 3rd after I fitted that Y pipe :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Some more good work Sam :) very good write up and should help a few with their carby swaps
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Sun May 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Silverbullet wrote:... I don't think I've seen a definitive "How to" thread on the Weber conversion...
Very kindly, let me add this info from another Forum, it might be helpful...

~►
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... on-ea82's/

The pictures becomes non viewable certain part of each month, due to easily exceeding the monthly bandwidth assigned by Photobucket, but it resets back to zero, monthly.

Kind Regards.

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Ended up getting a friend to machine a plate after buying a really poorly made one on ebay.

Welds aren't the prettiest but ill get the stock air cleaner on it and hopefully you won't see them. Should flow a little better then the Hitachi.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Does anyone know how to connect up the fuel lines to keep the charcoal canister? I'm assuming some of the lines might need to be blocked off? There's only one connection on the Weber though there is a plate i could remove to get a fuel return line happening.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:29 pm

I can't quite see the detail in that pic but I'm pretty sure that is the outlet of the fuel filter labelled 1, this goes straight to the carbie fuel inlet or through a fuel pressure regulator first if you have one. I can't quite see what label 2 is pointing at. The little hose that comes out of the top of the fuel filter is supposed to be a vapor vent line, that hose goes down the firewall a bit and joints to a Y piece which I think is the fuel tank vent line. These two vents should go off to the carbon canister. Pipes 3, 4 and 5: one is a fuel bowl vent line which needs to be blocked off as the Weber doesn't have a vent. One is a canister purge line (usually the biggest diameter pipe) which should go to a large diameter vacuum port somewhere near the center of the manifold, usually there is a large vacuum port smack bang in the middle depending on what year manifold you have, but in your pics it looks like you used to have an EGR valve or something there? large plate in it's place with a big L bend pipe sticking out. And the last pipe on the carbon canister needs a vacuum source to operate the valve on the carbon canister.

The theory behind the canister is all the fuel vapors that are vented from the fuel tank, carb float bowl are drawn into the carbon canister for "storage". When the engine is running a vacuum operated valve opens and the vapors are drawn into the intake manifold to be burned. Unless your car had a return line with the old Hitachi you shouldn't need to use the Webers fuel return port.

This pic may help:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Also redline do a quite well made Adaptor too. http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/subaru/
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Can the fuel pump handle not having a fuel return line? Will it burn out our should it be fine. Does the Hitachi return fuel? I'm considering getting a regulator with a bypass so the fuel pump is not working hard but pumping no fuel. Or is this silly?

And I think I am getting fuel out of the vapour connection on the top off the filter in the engine bay. Should I block this off? I'm not quite sure still how all the fuel lines on the Hitachi setup worked.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 am

the charcoal cannister getting knocked out may cause problems as it is taking in vapours - should only be vapours ? from fuel tank and burning them off when signalled by the appropriate vacuum signal. Maybe knock up a catch can type thing to monitor if you are getting wetrol out of the charcoal can - think this can happen if fill beyond first click' of fuel nozzle at the bowser...

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”