L series ea82 box into ea81 brumby

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
MuZ

Post by MuZ » Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Cheers for all the info guys, now I know what to look for, I'll need a part time d/r box.

I think I might get an ej20 and a gearbox with an adapter plate put it all together ready to go and just change the lot out one weekend when I'm feeling keen.

Fuji would of been good to see what you got when I was up there but honestly hadn't even considered doing the conversion at that point only really started thinking about it a few weeks ago

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 10, 2014 6:13 pm

there goes that loose use of the word 'just' :)

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 pm

FujiFan, sorry, wasn't trying to have too much of a go at you. I'm not an expert either & only going off my experiences.
But, as my experiences of being a moderator on a car forum, saying "generalisations" is bad, and IMHO isn't what forums are about. The reason is that newbies come on here & other places looking for info. If they went by your post, then they'd get the wrong stuff unfortunately.
And it's the first I've heard of a pre 87 dual range full-time box, so I've learnt something new.

Had a look at the EFI touring wagon at the wrecker today. Unfortunately, forgot to take my pin punch to actually remove the CV from the box :oops:
But they looked quite small and were smooth edge (ie no ribs).

BTW, MuZ, I've got a dual range, part-time 4wd box with 3.7 diff from an 89 DL sitting in my backyard (in inner west of Sydney). Yours for freight cost (or free if you can organise for it to be picked up)
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat May 10, 2014 10:47 pm

FujiFan, sorry, wasn't trying to have too much of a go at you. I'm not an expert either & only going off my experiences.
But, as my experiences of being a moderator on a car forum, saying "generalisations" is bad, and IMHO isn't what forums are about.
Ok accepted, thank you.

I honestly used to think older Subarus were all straight forward and had no appreciation for how many variations there were just with L series. Over the years I have learnt how much I don't know :???:

You never stop learning!

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:44 pm

ok, i want an honest opinion... i'm not very mechanically minded, i can do a fair bit, but if it's too technical i'll be lost...

how difficult is it to put a 5 speed off a EA-82 on to an EA-81?

i've been reading through the threads and some of the technical jargon is losing me, is it as big a job as i am assuming from what i read, or is it fairly straight forward?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1987 Brumby.
still to come:
2"exhaust
winch bar

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Dean.nabbe wrote:ok, i want an honest opinion... i'm not very mechanically minded, i can do a fair bit, but if it's too technical i'll be lost...

how difficult is it to put a 5 speed off a EA-82 on to an EA-81?

i've been reading through the threads and some of the technical jargon is losing me, is it as big a job as i am assuming from what i read, or is it fairly straight forward?
I've had it explained to me like this: The gearbox bolts up to the engine...and that's where the similarity ends. All the bits and pieces that need modifying, well nothing hugely complicated just need some customizing here and there. Starter motor, clutch cable/pedal, clutch assembly, mounting the 2 piece tailshaft center bearing or getting a custom single piece shaft made, shifter linkages, engine stay rod (?) gearbox mounts etc...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Does anyone have a picture of their L-Series clutch cable attaching to the gearbox? Despite the fact the forks being identical the nuts and washers are different on the L-series. The fork is also on the opposite side of the gearbox, there is nothing for the spring to hook onto. Easily fixed but something i didn't expect along the way.

I'm thinking about finding one for sale to go and have a look at. No luck looking in the local car yard.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

Dean.nabbe

Post by Dean.nabbe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:28 pm

so, in other words.. for someone like me, it's a big job?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1987 Brumby.
still to come:
2"exhaust
winch bar

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:11 pm

just a little harder than unzippin' yer fly and takin' a leak :)

There is just the list of things to gather, a few easy mods like rat tale file to elongate the gearbox mount brackets from the 4 spd to mount them to the five. A drill and bits, seats out, some 5 or 6mm flat bar 40 or 50mm wide to bolt two pieces of flat to the centre bearing mount, drill a few holes through floor to hold them up nice and tight, a piece of string to line up by eye the centre line to follow.

Have now looked at L Series pedal box and will try that next time to save modding an MY pedal box.

So long as you can pull a box, or engine first then box - you'll be able to do it

EA81 flywheel 225mm variety, get its step machined to L Series EA82 spec 21mm I think, use an entire EA82 clutch kit, compare two flywheels on floor, crank side down, to judge whether you need to spacer the starter motor. I spent time making a spacer ring from 4mm aluminium plate. Worked well.

Rhys, think, aftyer 25 years have no idea, think some did, some did not. I have added similar looking spring - even used a white zip tie on my show car for one end !

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”