brake master fluid volumes

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
steptoe
Master Member

brake master fluid volumes

Post by steptoe » Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Well, the volumes of the fluid reservoir anyway. Whilst ogling an EJ20 turbo in the back of a VW Beetle, the owner was saying the engineer pulled him up on the reservoir volume. It has to be enough to allow for all sets of pads to wear down to metal to metal in the eys of that engineer and still not run out of fluid.

So, with a disc rear destined for a Brumby and an engineers cert to go with the EA82T etc, thought I'd best check things. Ripped off the reservoirs of both L Series and MV Brumby.

The result ismeasured to the full mark - only one reservoir for each model, not disc rear specific - L Series cylindrical reservoir holds 150ml ,
the MV Brumby 175ml

same size 13/16" bores

Looks like one thing not to have to do :) - other than to demonstrate maybe ?

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Hmmm now you have me wondering about my own Brumby project!
I've got early rex twin pots up front with singles clamping out the back end, I might be in trouble with the standard Brumby master cylinder!!! :confused:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Not only when the pads have no "padding" but also the disc is at minimum thickness with worn pads. This is from new discs with new pads at the full mark on the reservoir to minimum thickness discs to metal to metal pads, there must be still fluid in the reservoir.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 10, 2014 7:37 am

Sometimes I think the fluid should run out to put the scarers on the people who manage to drive until one side of the rotor separates off the cooling vent/fins in the centre of the rotor ! I had pics of a Brumby with no brake mods for its EJ20G , yet had twin round fluid pots on the master, may have been a Lb or Impreza master ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat May 10, 2014 1:56 pm

steptoe wrote:Sometimes I think the fluid should run out to put the scarers on the people who manage to drive until one side of the rotor separates off the cooling vent/fins in the centre of the rotor ! I had pics of a Brumby with no brake mods for its EJ20G , yet had twin round fluid pots on the master, may have been a Lb or Impreza master ?
My wagon has that master cylinder, with two reservoirs. I've never seen another one like it.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:24 am

steptoe wrote:Sometimes I think the fluid should run out to put the scarers on the people who manage to drive until one side of the rotor separates off the cooling vent/fins in the centre of the rotor ! I had pics of a Brumby with no brake mods for its EJ20G , yet had twin round fluid pots on the master, may have been a Lb or Impreza master ?
Problem is there is other people that use the same roads as these people that don't service their cars :(

People who modify cars with higher output engines without upgrading their brakes need to be locked up.. it's like carry a loaded weapon around
Silverbullet wrote:My wagon has that master cylinder, with two reservoirs. I've never seen another one like it.
I have a couple of 1980 model MY wagons that have this type of master cylinder on them.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun May 11, 2014 11:36 am

Silverbullet wrote:My wagon has that master cylinder, with two reservoirs. I've never seen another one like it.
Hey SB, any chance of a picture? I've never seen this setup before :)

RSR 555 wrote:I have a couple of 1980 model MY wagons that have this type of master cylinder on them.
Paul, how many cars do you have?? lol

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Proton mouse wrote:Hey SB, any chance of a picture? I've never seen this setup before :)
Phew geez that could be a challenge, car has been apart for about 12 months now :rolleyes: Master cylinder currently buried in the back of the shed.

OK here we go, found a cache of old images from my old PC when I backed up the HDD, can't remember which engine swap this was :rolleyes:

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Proton mouse wrote:Paul, how many cars do you have?? lol
Ummm.. very good question.. I stopped counting after 30 :neutral:

Another member on here (that has seen most of them) calls me Carmella for some reason. They just keep appearing on my door step ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Got or had ? Have to call you the Mister Fister of the West ! He can count beyond 30 though :p

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 pm

steptoe wrote:Got or had ?
Still have !!
steptoe wrote:Have to call you the Mister Fister of the West ! He can count beyond 30 though
Yes but Mr Will's collection is not all Subaru and he may have others that belong to others ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”