Live axle subaru L series

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
82leone

Live axle subaru L series

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Thought I would do a little write up on my latest build. I have had a fair few offroad Subis in my time and always wanted mix with the bigger trucks without completely smashing my subi up. I had seen a L series wagon in the USA which have me the idea. http://youtu.be/4aJfQpHt9lY

I found the build thread on it and was disappointed to find the only subaru parts was the shell and not much else.

So that was when I decided to build my own. I have friends who were keen to see it happen so I had few donations and started with this.

After a few months got it to this.

Next mission join the subaru to rover chassis.

82leone

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:19 pm

So space was of a premium but with a block and tackle lifting frame and an engine crane managed to line everything up.

Used most of the main L series running gear mounts and a few extra braces.

82leone

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:29 pm

Once the rover and subi were grafted together next mission was connecting the drive train.

So I cut down the L series rear tail shaft and welded the suzuki drive flange to the end. From the suzuki transfer I made up shafts to connect transfer to the rover diffs. So now it has effectively duel transfer cases. I managed to connect up the suzuki transfer drum brake to the L series hand brake assembly.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Very nice work and love how you've keep the Subaru engine and box :cool:

With regards to the Subaru gearbox, did you just keep this in 4WD? this would make a perfect immobilizer if you left it in 2WD when parked up :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

82leone

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm

So the steering became the next focus. I mounted the range rover power steer pump on the ea82 and with a lot of chopping and hacking the crossmember managed to fit the rover steer box. The biggest problem then arises with steer alignment from the subi steer colum. This eventually caused me to go to hydro steer.

82leone

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 pm

The brakes were another interesting drama. I connected up the L series brake lines down to the rover ones. The next problem was because there was so much fluid to push the L master was not up to it. I ended up fitting a liberty master straight swap and a decent upgrade. The first hit out found a few small dramas. The springs were way to stiff the subaru body just did not have the weight of the old rangie. I solid mounted the transfer which caused its dimise and the rear tail shaft angle was to steep. So changed the whole transfer case crossmember. I encorporated range rover gear box mounts and lowered it still keeping it above the chassis rails. I have not had a proper hit out since the latest modifications so keen to see how it will perform now. The suspension was sorted with softer springs and I moved the rear shock mounts.

82leone

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Hey RSR555 yes on the center console I have got hi 4wd lo 4wd and no wd so yeah goes no where in 2wd.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:10 pm

82leone

Post by 82leone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:13 pm

This comparison shot was with an L with 2 inch lift and 27s

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Looks really awesome. I was going for something a bit more in between with Monsterwagon with the 6" lift. Was still going to be mostly Subaru (even suspension) but with just a divorced transfer case (a nissan 720 in my case).
Looks like it could do with the wheel arches cut out way wider and some huge flares from a landcruiser or something :)

82leone

Post by 82leone » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 am

Yeah the guards have been cut since that pic. When I adjusted the suspension and fitted softer springs the tyres started to eat the gaurds. So out came the grinder lol.

Yarran

Post by Yarran » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Does the EA82 struggle with the massive tires and I'm guessing extra weight?

82leone

Post by 82leone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:06 am

No goes fine with the duel transfer cases it's got loads of gearing which makes up got lack of power. Thinking about crawler gears for the suzuki transfer possibly down the track.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:11 am

Love to see the faces of some certifying engineers when you present it for a certificate :D

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 pm

I should send you over the old driveline from monsterwagon - EJ20turbo with the turbo 5speed gearbox converted to permanent RWD with a minispool. Better than sitting on my garage floor :)

I wonder if any engineer would entertain the idea of certifying it. Probably depends how you've done the mounts etc. There are plenty of similar rigs getting around which are engineered so I'm sure it's somehow possible.

82leone

Post by 82leone » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 pm

I might have had half a chance of getting it engineered and on the road. That was until I ditched the rover steering and went full hydro steer. Most of the mounts are all made off where the subaru running gear would of bolted on. I did this so if the body ever came to grief I could unbolt it and fit a new one.

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”