Help me identify these gizmos under my hood (L series). Also, ECS question

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
fishboy

Help me identify these gizmos under my hood (L series). Also, ECS question

Post by fishboy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:27 pm

First off - can someone tell me what these gizmos are under my hood? I've identified most of the emission control stuff, but the name and purpose of these things I've highlighted in the photo elude me.

Second - my latest EA82 L series that I have acquired seems to have had some messing around done with the emission control system. See the next 2 pics. First one shows the car in question - a hose has been looped from one port to another, and has a big kink in it, so there will be minimal flow through it.
The second pic shows where these hoses go on my other 3 soobs - one goes to no where down in the engine bay, the other goes to a strange black box beside the dizzy which I can't identify. What the heck is it? And should i be concerned that my new soob doesn't have one?
Attachments
other car.jpg
other car.jpg (112.51 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
mycar.jpg
mycar.jpg (111.53 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
IMG_7921.jpg
IMG_7921.jpg (110.35 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:31 pm

you pulling a chain ??

top right corner is wiper motor, top left is a vacuum holding thing ? goes on to vacuum switched controls for heater demister, vent direction stuff

EDIT that took me at least seven minutes to construct, meanwhile RSR posts up !!

3 and 4 ...two numbers for one thing ?? Most will identify that thing as to do with the air conditioning compressor, sometimes refered to as air con, A C , or "the acey" as I heard it emit from a northern indians' mouth recently

and sorry, not the heater control itself, more the vent direction servos under dash, little concertina bellows have that vacuum switched to them via the switches in dash pod.

The kinked hose on air box looks factory to me :p , well maybe not factory but looks how a dealer allegedly left a similar set up before I got my hands on it :(

The lower rear most pipe - think they got a rubber blank off cap from factory. SCA sell rare spares water caps designed for blanking off water pipes etc for cars, in many sizes - perfect for this job to look factory again. The upper fronter one should fit nice on the rocker cover outlet, actually think that side is inlet coz inside the air filter box should be a clean air filtering sponge/fibre pad if I have it all correct.

Mystery black box looks like it is causing lazy photography - chuck it out, leave disconnected until otherwise advised :evil: or get us a better look when you pull it out, please.

And, just looked at better pic of different car withh red leads and no kinked hose ?? Playing up on the wife and being tailed ?? Wires at all or just air in , air out ?

Does the engine concerned actually have a normal looking EGR valve on inlet manifold nearby with metal pipe down to exhaust port ? Some models got extra or instead of air injection for pollution control for fast back off so no raw or rich fuel mixes got to pollute air, might be one of those jiggers.

That red text is bad :(

fishboy

Post by fishboy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Woops...yes sorry I should have known item number 2! /slaps head

So the white plastic thing in the top left is the (no. 1) is a vacuum control device for the heater etc..

What about the other two - number 3 and 4? 4 I can tell is some sort of sensor that seems to be pointed at the alternator belt...so what does it do?

Also...no. 5...what is the mystery black box beside the dizzy as per the last photo?

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Dunno about others but that red text does my old eyes in. :(
Peter

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 am

3 and 4 ...two numbers for one thing ?? Most will identify that thing as to do with the air conditioning compressor, sometimes refered to as air con, A C , or "the acey" as I heard it emit from a northern indians' mouth recently :(

and sorry, not the heater control itself, more the vent direction servos under dash, little concertina bellows have that vacuum switched to them via the switches in dash pod

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 am

First pic..
1) Vacuum Storage Cannister for your interior ventilation system.
2) Front Windscreen Wiper Motor.
3) Aircon Receiver Dryer
4) Aircon Rotation Sensor

Second pic..
Yes your Anti-backfire EGR cannister has been removed.

Third pic..
This is all as per standard and yes the breather hose off the aircleaner just hangs down to no where.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

fishboy

Post by fishboy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Ok bear with me...

See attached some close ups of the black box which is in my other soobs but not this one.

So do we reckon this black box is definitely an EGR? In the manuals the EGR is always a metal round thing attached directly to the inlet manifold, although such an EGR is definitely absent on my cars....so I guess perhaps the black plastic box could be an alternative EGR of sorts?

....Most importantly, is the fact that my black box / EGR has been ripped out (and the hose just doubled over on itself) likely to affect performance/fuel economy?

Thanks!
Attachments
noblackbox.jpg
noblackbox.jpg (97.78 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
blackbox1.jpg
blackbox1.jpg (97.57 KiB) Viewed 2581 times
blackbox0.jpg
blackbox0.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:06 pm

think Paul calls this anti back fire, and due to your extra efforts at depicting the black box, can see the alloy unit below - it contains a reed valve, just trying to think .... it allows filter air to enter the exhaust to assist any unburnt gases in exhaust to burn up more complete in certain situations. If it was hooked up correctly maybe it help keep your cat cleaner or just your immediate environment. Can't see its proper operation is any power robbing at all. So many different pollution devices through the EA years, another seen on later Brumbies just fed air in where EGR valve and its diaphragm usually bolted - different being a commercial vehicle as opposed to passenger car rules I think

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:15 am

Yeah, I might be calling it the wrong term compared to the manual. I haven't got mine in front of me to check but it's there to assist in reducing emissions from the exhaust by like Jono said, adding oxygen into the system. From memory the JDM engines didn't have this, so if your engine was ever replaced with one of these, then this is probably why yours is missing.

I too agree with Jono and cannot see it affecting your performance or efficiency. I would however try and make that bent hose look neater, so if the police look under the bonnet they don't notice anything not right.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fishboy

Post by fishboy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm

Ok thanks fellas. I understand that the engine was fully rebuilt by the previous owner, so perhaps he ripped it out during this time.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:17 am

Possibly so. I'd still try and make that hose look normal, so if the cops lift your bonnet, then all looks stock

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”