L/MY brake upgrade

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
FujiFan

L/MY brake upgrade

Post by FujiFan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:48 am

Who with experience on the 5 stud upgrade for L and MY can tell me what brake master cylinder is most appropriate to use. The Grugerys manual I have for Gen 1 Libs specifies that the ABS equipped Libs have a bore of 26.99mm and Non ABS 25.4mm. So what should I go with.

There are plenty of aftermarket master cylinders on fleabay, but the only ones that list as 26.99mm (6073 seems to be a generic part number).

I only want to change the master cyl for now in preparation of brake upgrade, so would it be a bit much to use the larger 26.99mm to push L series brakes?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Use what matches the donor brakes.

A lib booster on an L or MY will do the following - from what Bratgeebah has told me from his experience (that ultimately wrote off his L wagon):

The lib booster will initially have no braking effect, but you will come to the point the brakes begin to work. At this point it is a very quick move from safe braking to complete lock up.

Personally I'd stick with what's factory then go with the conversion all in one hit ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks for your input Bennie. I had only considered changing the master cyl and not the vacuum booster as well for the Lib. Does the booster also need to be changed with the m/cyl?

J.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 pm

I think he's talking about brake master cylinder not booster.

I can't exactly speak for what is best, but when I upgraded to EJ brakes in my L series I put in the matching master cylinder (to match the brakes) and kept the original L series booster in place. The Liberty booster looked physically quite a lot bigger and I didn't think it would actually fit next to the strut tower.

My brakes worked perfectly.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:07 am

AndrewT wrote:I think he's talking about brake master cylinder not booster.
Yeah sorry, I may have got that bit wrong, I don't know if he changed the booster over as well, but I certainly know he was running stock L series brakes on a lib master cylinder.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”