most powerful EA81 out there....

Get the most out of your ride & how to make enhancements ...
Nubaru

most powerful EA81 out there....

Post by Nubaru » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 am

Wundering what is the most powerful EA81 out there. Have read here and there but sorry no links of 120 horsies from these little wonders, and even more to 140 or 150hp for the aviation people. Do these engine run in automotive applications - anyone got one ? Also would like to know if the torque increase accompanies the HP increase.

What are first steps to achieve all this ?

Increase cubes to 1.00 mm overbore is a big deal, what about forget the term for crank, conrod and piston mods to increase cubes more :(

porting, polishing, weber, cam has anyone here on the great forum actually achieved something strong and nasty out of an EA81 or been beat down by EJ swearer byers ?
member since 10january2014 #6191

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:54 am

How much money do you want to spend?

How much time do you have?

https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei ... arged+ea81

https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei ... arged+ea81

You can even carby and do what ever else you want to and EJ motor

https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei ... EJ22+carby

or look here (shameless plug)

You can just bolt stuff on to a stock motor and run it until it fails or you can purpose build a motor thats bullet proof.

as for horsepower yes the aviation guys get around 150. remember though they run their motors at 3/4 to full throttle from take off because if they don't... well bricks don't fly :)

money and time are the biggest considerations.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:16 am

From my memory on this forum I have only heard of reminiscers and they are of the EA81S - the true twin port twin carb EA81 and the rare EA81T. And then there is Tweetys Tony who has done, what, the weber, the supercharger super slurper, and now waiting with baited breath for his EA82 mpfi.spfi pistons, cam and head worked and webered EA81 and it won't be a comparison coz it is in a trike !.

My own build to EA81 have all been fresher, tighter engines retaining fuel economy of the famed 78HP EA81. I think theory will probably mean if you go chase HP with these old dinosaurs , torque and fuel will be a compromise, Those 120 plus figures yeah, for high rev working planes so builders not looking or care about torque me thinks.

Not sure if I increased any HP on my EA82M and torque really shows its grunt with a load on board. Without a load just the other day I got blown away by a not yet 3 month old Kenworth tipper with a tare weight of just over 10 tonne ! Think he cornered better and just pulled away empty of course :) it is a worry !!

Stroked EA81 .....nice idea, but who in their right mind would engineer such a low volume seller kit ? There, probably upset anyone googling stroked EA81 now :0 sorry

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:23 am

Yeah those 140hp aero EA81 and EA82 motors have a peaky torque curve that is quite high which would make it useless for general driving unless you want to keep your revs above 4000 rpm. Might be ok for a rally car.

A freshened up EA81 with ported heads, higher compression, premium fuel and a weber should make a noticeable difference over the standard motor. Dont expect 140hp though, probably more like 90 something
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:10 pm

my bad :( then, i should have worded most torquiest, not most powerful. Been looking at wikileaks on the engine era and EA81 is 73 HP at 4800rpm and torque at 2800rpm so ~ about ~ the 100 kph mark to avoid argument and I guess it would be nice about there and a little above for overtaking. Wiki says the EA81 is already stroked - a stroked EA71.

pipe dreams for me at the moment
member since 10january2014 #6191

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm making 54kw atw and about 200nm of torqu after everything the rebuild.
Really want to re tune it to 98 and do another dyno run.
Then get a carby to suit E85 haha
One day i'm going to take an EA81 as far as possible, haven't thought about how reliable I would make it.
Might make 2, 1 going absolutely all out and hope I don't throw a rod on the first dyno run, if I do it better be a big bang.
The second I will take as far as possible with some sort of reliability in mind.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Bantum
General Member

Power ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 am

Here's one from a earlier thread :

More details here : showthread.php?t=8114

Cosworth also used to do a short block for the EA81 ... ( I've lost the details will post when find them ) ... :)

Add : The Cosworth Link may be lost, but this is interesting : http://www.macsmachine.com/

And there's this from : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... 1-vs-ea82/

They are more for aircraft I suspect, with low toque & high RMP ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Conversions, Modifications and Performance Upgrades”